British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   HELP!... moving to spain with children (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-moving-spain-children-426267/)

debi Feb 13th 2007 5:07 pm

HELP!... moving to spain with children

hi i,m new to the site and needing as much info as possible! my husband and i are hoping to move to the costa blanca with our 3 children aged 6,11 and 13. we,re looking into the la marina urbanisation, anyone got any info? we,re needing advice on schools, jobs(my husband is a hgv driver) and renting long term. i,ve read some threads that it can be quite tough out there :unsure:

Mitzyboy Feb 13th 2007 5:25 pm

Re: HELP!... moving to spain with children

Originally Posted by debi (Post 4398299)
hi i,m new to the site and needing as much info as possible! my husband and i are hoping to move to the costa blanca with our 3 children aged 6,11 and 13. we,re looking into the la marina urbanisation, anyone got any info? we,re needing advice on schools, jobs(my husband is a hgv driver) and renting long term. i,ve read some threads that it can be quite tough out there :unsure:

Tough .... nah its cool here :) Wheres the La Marina Urbanisation then? In the South CB? Come to the North ... its nice here innit ;)
(were you on the Expatica Form?)

debi Feb 13th 2007 5:36 pm

yeh thats me! it,s in the south CB! we,ve never been before but friends have been a few times and are moving there in may. we,re coming to look during this year and hoping to be there by this time next year!

Mitzyboy Feb 13th 2007 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by debi (Post 4398413)
yeh thats me! it,s in the south CB! we,ve never been before but friends have been a few times and are moving there in may. we,re coming to look during this year and hoping to be there by this time next year!

You've never been there, but you're thinking of moving there?

My advice to you would be to come over and have a good look around first. What your friends like may not be what you like. I've got to admit I don't know anything about the Urb you mention though, so its difficult to comment. Is it near Torreviecca (I can never spell that)

debi Feb 13th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4398471)
You've never been there, but you're thinking of moving there?

My advice to you would be to come over and have a good look around first. What your friends like may not be what you like. I've got to admit I don't know anything about the Urb you mention though, so its difficult to comment. Is it near Torreviecca (I can never spell that)

yeh thats what we,re doing when we come over. we just gonna be renting first that way we,ve got chance to find our feet. we could spend years going over and looking at different places. it,s about 20 mins drive to torreveija (did I spell it right!!)

Mitzyboy Feb 13th 2007 6:12 pm

torrevieja .... close!

Good idea, exactly what you should do, and don't just limit yourself to the Southern Areas ;)

debi Feb 13th 2007 6:26 pm

once we get out there we intend to explore as many places as we can! the urb is in san fulgencio, alicante (does it ring any bells?!)

tim hortons man Feb 13th 2007 6:56 pm

Spain is a great place to live if you have an independent source of income (retirement home based business etc) If you move down with the idea of starting a great business it can be tough.

It would be great for the kids to learn a second language while you work on your suntan:thumbup:

Mitzyboy Feb 13th 2007 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by debi (Post 4398658)
once we get out there we intend to explore as many places as we can! the urb is in san fulgencio, alicante (does it ring any bells?!)

Nope, sorry

Mitzyboy Feb 13th 2007 7:11 pm

The power of the internet ... did you know the urb has its own web site?

http://www.lamarina.info/

It looks bloody huge!!!

jdr Feb 13th 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by debi (Post 4398658)

Ding Dong google is your friend.

D4HWT Feb 14th 2007 9:20 am

Hi,

I just got back from CB and spent most of my time looking between alicante and Oliva. Visited 2 british schools, Sierra Bernia which is in l'alfaz just outside Benidorm and Lady Elizabeth School which is in Lliber. My kids are 8,12 and 14. Both schools are very different as SB is very small and has limited resources but is very nice. Lady Elizabeth school is fantastic,much bigger but it is expensive. The facilities are excellent but the junior school is in Javea and is a 30 minute drive from the secondary. I turned up at both schools without an appointment and they were both keen to show us round and talk to us.
I visited the british school of alicante which is about 2 Km south of Alicante itself but i didn't go in to talk to anyone as i ran out of time.
Both schools have websites and everything is taught in english the same as UK except spanish language has to be a core subject. SB costs a bit less than Lady Elizabeth and you can see why when you visit.
I fell in love with Javier and Altea Hills areas.

Hope this is of some help to you

spain Feb 14th 2007 9:43 am

Originally Posted by D4HWT (Post 4403030)
Hi,

I just got back from CB and spent most of my time looking between alicante and Oliva. Visited 2 british schools, Sierra Bernia which is in l'alfaz just outside Benidorm and Lady Elizabeth School which is in Lliber. My kids are 8,12 and 14. Both schools are very different as SB is very small and has limited resources but is very nice. Lady Elizabeth school is fantastic,much bigger but it is expensive. The facilities are excellent but the junior school is in Javea and is a 30 minute drive from the secondary. I turned up at both schools without an appointment and they were both keen to show us round and talk to us.
I visited the british school of alicante which is about 2 Km south of Alicante itself but i didn't go in to talk to anyone as i ran out of time.
Both schools have websites and everything is taught in english the same as UK except spanish language has to be a core subject. SB costs a bit less than Lady Elizabeth and you can see why when you visit.
I fell in love with Javier and Altea Hills areas.

Hope this is of some help to you

Is there a particular reason why you didnt have a look at any Spanish state schools ?

D4HWT Feb 14th 2007 12:08 pm

Yes, my 2 eldest would find it very difficult to absorb the lessons as they speak no spanish. I just don't think it would be very fair to put them straight into a school where they could not understand the language.
Also it will be a years trial to see how it goes and if it is not for us then the children can go straight back into school in the UK without any problems of having to re-sit a year.
At both of the schools i visited there were at least 20% spanish children enrolled there.

spain Feb 14th 2007 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by D4HWT (Post 4403454)
Yes, my 2 eldest would find it very difficult to absorb the lessons as they speak no spanish. I just don't think it would be very fair to put them straight into a school where they could not understand the language.
Also it will be a years trial to see how it goes and if it is not for us then the children can go straight back into school in the UK without any problems of having to re-sit a year.
At both of the schools i visited there were at least 20% spanish children enrolled there.

right, I understand

A friend of mine came over when her daughter was 14 - she went to Spanish school, was held back a year and has now stayed on at the equivalent 6th form - just goes to show they can do well even at an older age - I wouldnt of fancied it much as a teenager though - I hated just changing schools in England when we moved from one area to another :sneaky: - so I really admire these kids sometimes