Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP!... moving to spain with children

HELP!... moving to spain with children

Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

debi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!... moving to spain with children

hi i,m new to the site and needing as much info as possible! my husband and i are hoping to move to the costa blanca with our 3 children aged 6,11 and 13. we,re looking into the la marina urbanisation, anyone got any info? we,re needing advice on schools, jobs(my husband is a hgv driver) and renting long term. i,ve read some threads that it can be quite tough out there
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!... moving to spain with children

Originally Posted by debi
hi i,m new to the site and needing as much info as possible! my husband and i are hoping to move to the costa blanca with our 3 children aged 6,11 and 13. we,re looking into the la marina urbanisation, anyone got any info? we,re needing advice on schools, jobs(my husband is a hgv driver) and renting long term. i,ve read some threads that it can be quite tough out there
Tough .... nah its cool here Wheres the La Marina Urbanisation then? In the South CB? Come to the North ... its nice here innit
(were you on the Expatica Form?)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

yeh thats me! it,s in the south CB! we,ve never been before but friends have been a few times and are moving there in may. we,re coming to look during this year and hoping to be there by this time next year!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

yeh thats me! it,s in the south CB! we,ve never been before but friends have been a few times and are moving there in may. we,re coming to look during this year and hoping to be there by this time next year!

You've never been there, but you're thinking of moving there?

My advice to you would be to come over and have a good look around first. What your friends like may not be what you like. I've got to admit I don't know anything about the Urb you mention though, so its difficult to comment. Is it near Torreviecca (I can never spell that)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You've never been there, but you're thinking of moving there?

My advice to you would be to come over and have a good look around first. What your friends like may not be what you like. I've got to admit I don't know anything about the Urb you mention though, so its difficult to comment. Is it near Torreviecca (I can never spell that)
yeh thats what we,re doing when we come over. we just gonna be renting first that way we,ve got chance to find our feet. we could spend years going over and looking at different places. it,s about 20 mins drive to torreveija (did I spell it right!!)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:12 pm
Senior Moment

torrevieja .... close!

Good idea, exactly what you should do, and don't just limit yourself to the Southern Areas
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

once we get out there we intend to explore as many places as we can! the urb is in san fulgencio, alicante (does it ring any bells?!)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:56 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Spain is a great place to live if you have an independent source of income (retirement home based business etc) If you move down with the idea of starting a great business it can be tough.

It would be great for the kids to learn a second language while you work on your suntan
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:07 pm
Senior Moment

once we get out there we intend to explore as many places as we can! the urb is in san fulgencio, alicante (does it ring any bells?!)

Nope, sorry
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:11 pm
Senior Moment

The power of the internet ... did you know the urb has its own web site?

http://www.lamarina.info/

It looks bloody huge!!!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ding Dong google is your friend.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:20 am
Just Joined

D4HWT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I just got back from CB and spent most of my time looking between alicante and Oliva. Visited 2 british schools, Sierra Bernia which is in l'alfaz just outside Benidorm and Lady Elizabeth School which is in Lliber. My kids are 8,12 and 14. Both schools are very different as SB is very small and has limited resources but is very nice. Lady Elizabeth school is fantastic,much bigger but it is expensive. The facilities are excellent but the junior school is in Javea and is a 30 minute drive from the secondary. I turned up at both schools without an appointment and they were both keen to show us round and talk to us.
I visited the british school of alicante which is about 2 Km south of Alicante itself but i didn't go in to talk to anyone as i ran out of time.
Both schools have websites and everything is taught in english the same as UK except spanish language has to be a core subject. SB costs a bit less than Lady Elizabeth and you can see why when you visit.
I fell in love with Javier and Altea Hills areas.

Hope this is of some help to you
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D4HWT
Hi,

I just got back from CB and spent most of my time looking between alicante and Oliva. Visited 2 british schools, Sierra Bernia which is in l'alfaz just outside Benidorm and Lady Elizabeth School which is in Lliber. My kids are 8,12 and 14. Both schools are very different as SB is very small and has limited resources but is very nice. Lady Elizabeth school is fantastic,much bigger but it is expensive. The facilities are excellent but the junior school is in Javea and is a 30 minute drive from the secondary. I turned up at both schools without an appointment and they were both keen to show us round and talk to us.
I visited the british school of alicante which is about 2 Km south of Alicante itself but i didn't go in to talk to anyone as i ran out of time.
Both schools have websites and everything is taught in english the same as UK except spanish language has to be a core subject. SB costs a bit less than Lady Elizabeth and you can see why when you visit.
I fell in love with Javier and Altea Hills areas.

Hope this is of some help to you
Is there a particular reason why you didnt have a look at any Spanish state schools ?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

D4HWT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, my 2 eldest would find it very difficult to absorb the lessons as they speak no spanish. I just don't think it would be very fair to put them straight into a school where they could not understand the language.
Also it will be a years trial to see how it goes and if it is not for us then the children can go straight back into school in the UK without any problems of having to re-sit a year.
At both of the schools i visited there were at least 20% spanish children enrolled there.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D4HWT
Yes, my 2 eldest would find it very difficult to absorb the lessons as they speak no spanish. I just don't think it would be very fair to put them straight into a school where they could not understand the language.
Also it will be a years trial to see how it goes and if it is not for us then the children can go straight back into school in the UK without any problems of having to re-sit a year.
At both of the schools i visited there were at least 20% spanish children enrolled there.
right, I understand

A friend of mine came over when her daughter was 14 - she went to Spanish school, was held back a year and has now stayed on at the equivalent 6th form - just goes to show they can do well even at an older age - I wouldnt of fancied it much as a teenager though - I hated just changing schools in England when we moved from one area to another - so I really admire these kids sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.