GIBRALTAR 2024

Old Mar 6th 2024, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GIBRALTAR 2024

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Gibraltar buys a billion euros a year from Spain

Tuesday, March 5, 2024 - 09:52The economic value of Gibraltar to the Spanish economy is reflected in the latest export figures which have become available. This places Spanish exports to the Rock at around a billion euros a year. In the area of sporting goods, Gibraltar is now in Spain’s top five export markets.

TRADE
The latest freely available import and export figures for official trade between Gibraltar and Spain of £947 million, is in respect of 2021.
In 2022 that figure more than doubled. Note: I have no idea how reliable the source is.
Gibraltar (GIB) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners | The Observatory of Economic Complexity (oec.world)
Old Mar 6th 2024, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
In 2022 that figure more than doubled. Note: I have no idea how reliable the source is.
Gibraltar (GIB) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners | The Observatory of Economic Complexity (oec.world)
Unfortunately I have no idea has how to correlate the two sets of figures.
The trade between Gib and UK is claimed to be £7 billion but again how much in which direction I have no idea.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Mar 6th 2024 at 4:24 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Monday, March 11, 2024
The strict interpretation of Schengen requirements for UK nationals at the border between Gibraltar and Spain has created all sorts of issues for an important sector of the community. While the expectation is that a treaty with the EU will eliminate the problem, it still continues to be a real concern to many people.

RECIPROCAL
When the United Kingdom left the European Union, the two sides negotiated a reciprocal 90 day visa-free period in every 180 for each other’s citizens. This meant that EU nationals were entitled to that length of stay in the United Kingdom and Gibraltar, and that conversely, UK citizens, including Gibraltarians, are entitled to the same in the European Union, including in Spain. For many Gibraltar residents, however, the question has been no such much the duration of the stay, but more the entry and exit conditions at this EU land border.

My interpretation of the above is simple.
Whilst Gibraltar residents are entitled to 90 days in 180 it is pointless if you cannot obtain entry to start with.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the UK negotiate the 90 day travel restriction with the EU? I thought they simply defaulted to the ruling because they chose to become third country nationals and therefore treated like everyone else who is non EU.

Are you saying UK nationals who are resident in Gibraltar are still having problems crossing into Spain? If so, that's down to the idiotic UK government and their poor negotiating skills. Gibraltarians always seem to get through the border OK with their ID cards and we never have any problems so it makes me wonder what these people are doing wrong. No papers perhaps?
Old Mar 11th 2024, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

There was nothing for UK to negotiate about 90 day restrictions.
By leaving EU and choosing not to become Schengen member, UK falls under 3-rd country Schengen rules.
However, border area citizens "usually" are assigned special movement permits/exemptions.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lou71
Did the UK negotiate the 90 day travel restriction with the EU? I thought they simply defaulted to the ruling because they chose to become third country nationals and therefore treated like everyone else who is non EU.

Are you saying UK nationals who are resident in Gibraltar are still having problems crossing into Spain.
YES

. Gibraltarians always seem to get through the border OK with their ID cards and we never have any problems so it makes me wonder what these people are doing wrong.
NOTHING. Only the holders of RED ID CARDS are allowed through.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 5:05 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

NOTHING. Only the holders of RED ID CARDS are allowed through.
Does that mean that Gibraltarians have different types of I.D cards? If so, what are the differences.

Last edited by 37100; Mar 11th 2024 at 5:07 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2024, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 37100
Does that mean that Gibraltarians have different types of I.D cards? If so, what are the differences.
Simplified:-
https://www.century21gibraltar.com/n...altar-id-card/
Old Mar 12th 2024, 7:22 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71

Are you saying UK nationals who are resident in Gibraltar are still having problems crossing into Spain? If so, that's down to the idiotic UK government and their poor negotiating skills. Gibraltarians always seem to get through the border OK with their ID cards and we never have any problems so it makes me wonder what these people are doing wrong. No papers perhaps?
Gibraltar was never included in the deal in the first place, Spain and Gibraltar came to an interim agreement which was expected to last six months but has been going for three years and the UK won't allow the final agreement to be signed off because of Sovereign Tea.

As a response to this one of the ways Spain is exerting pressure on the UK is by getting very meticulous over the paperwork when non-Gibraltan citizens who aren't resident within the EU (who don't have a red card and are mostly British) cross the border.

Last edited by DLC; Mar 12th 2024 at 7:27 am.
Old Mar 12th 2024, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A little history:-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967...nty_referendum
Old Mar 12th 2024, 10:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Got it. So only Gibraltarians can travel outside Gibralter on an ID card? Everyone else has to use their passport? (N.B. This is also the case in Italy. Non Italians' I.D. cards are stamped 'not valid abroad'). Though I can see how frustrating this must be, maybe it would have helped if the UK hadn't banned EU I.D. cards?
Old Mar 12th 2024, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Gibraltar was never included in the deal in the first place, Spain and Gibraltar came to an interim agreement which was expected to last six months but has been going for three years and the UK won't allow the final agreement to be signed off because of Sovereign Tea.

As a response to this one of the ways Spain is exerting pressure on the UK is by getting very meticulous over the paperwork when non-Gibraltan citizens who aren't resident within the EU (who don't have a red card and are mostly British) cross the border.
I'm a frequent traveller to Gibraltar and I have always found the Spanish border force to be very reasonable. The last time we visited in January we and the guards had a brief chat and agreed that Brexit is to blame. It's a self inflicted problem brought about by Brexit and the UK government are a bunch of complete cretins - I will restrain my language because this is not the Guardian. They obviously can't agree on the Schengen deal so things will have to be left as they are and EES booths will have to be installed at the border by October. If British people who are resident in Gibraltar can't cross into Spain then that is too bad, they are yet more of the ever growing numbers of Brexit victims. British people staying in Spain and going to Gibraltar for the day can get through as long as they show proof of accommodation, return tickets etc.

Gibraltar have a good leader who has worked tirelessly to look after their interests and make sure Gibraltarians have free access to Spain. The idiotic UK government hung Gibraltar the NI out to dry.

Last edited by Lou71; Mar 12th 2024 at 11:55 am.
Old Mar 12th 2024, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 37100
Thanks. Got it. So only Gibraltarians can travel outside Gibralter on an ID card? Everyone else has to use their passport? (N.B. This is also the case in Italy. Non Italians' I.D. cards are stamped 'not valid abroad'). Though I can see how frustrating this must be, maybe it would have helped if the UK hadn't banned EU I.D. cards?
Gibraltarians with RED ID CARDS also require their passport to travel across the Gib Spain frontier
Old Mar 12th 2024, 10:41 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltarians with RED ID CARDS also require their passport to travel across the Gib Spain frontier
That is the normal travel document if going to another country
Old Mar 13th 2024, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That is the normal travel document if going to another country
Post made in error. Fred

Last edited by Fredbargate; Mar 13th 2024 at 2:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.