GIBRALTAR 2024

Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:01 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GIBRALTAR 2024

Spain should have 100% control of the border, I can't believe there are any negotiations to be had on this issue.

You want to be in the Schengen area? Then the EU and in this case Spain should have full control. Don't agree with this? Then stay out of the Schengen area and stop bothering the EU.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Spain should have 100% control of the border, I can't believe there are any negotiations to be had on this issue.

You want to be in the Schengen area? Then the EU and in this case Spain should have full control. Don't agree with this? Then stay out of the Schengen area and stop bothering the EU.
I couldn't care a less about being in schengen.
But please explain why you think any country should be in control of another country's airports.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Mar 27th 2024 at 8:52 am.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 5:59 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
But please explain why you think any country should be in control of another country's airports.
Being part of the Schengen zone makes everyone's lives a lot easier. But that zone is the gateway to 29 European nations and needs to be secure.

If Gib wants to be part of that area then anyone arriving in Gib via any means possible (airport, ship terminal, etc.) needs to go through the full Schengen border control. With Gib not being part of the EEA I assume that means Spain would handle the border checks.

You can always leave things as they currently are though if for some reason you cannot accept Spain handling that for you.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Being part of the Schengen zone makes everyone's lives a lot easier. But that zone is the gateway to 29 European nations and needs to be secure.

If Gib wants to be part of that area then anyone arriving in Gib via any means possible (airport, ship terminal, etc.) needs to go through the full Schengen border control. With Gib not being part of the EEA I assume that means Spain would handle the border checks.

You can always leave things as they currently are though if for some reason you cannot accept Spain handling that for you.
It's increasingly looking like things will have to be left as they are but EES scanners will have to be installed at the border by October. This will mean that all non EU nationals will have to be hived off to a separate lane but EU nationals/residents and Gibraltarians should be able to cross more easily because they will not be held up by non EU people. The UK government should be made to pay for all the extra infrastructure.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 7:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Why should the UK government pay for it? The Brits are not the only non-EU visitors to the EU (even if some people seem to think they are!).

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 31st 2024 at 7:23 pm. Reason: Deleted
Old Mar 31st 2024, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
Why should the UK government pay for it?
I agree entirely. The Gib government should have to pay 100%.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I agree entirely. The Gib government should have to pay 100%.
Why should Gib or the UK pay for infrastructure required by a club they are not members of?

I see you have avoided answering about the airports
Old Apr 1st 2024, 8:06 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is of course "because under this agreement Gibraltar will be a guest to Schengen and Spain will be held responsible if anyone who shouldn't gets through border control" which in this time of constant Russian meddling is something to be taken seriously. But by preemptively saying you don't care about Schengen you hope to make that answer invalid.

However 96% of Gibraltarians and resident British do care about Schengen so your views are not representive of Gibraltar as a whole.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
However 96% of Gibraltarians and resident British do care about Schengen so your views are not representive of Gibraltar as a whole.
The 96% that you post adnauseam is now vastly reduced with many more taking my stance.
Something I see living here.
At the moment there is no agreement although Spain wrongly calls it's whish list an agreement.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Apr 1st 2024 at 8:17 am.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 2:32 pm

Why should Gib or the UK pay for infrastructure required by a club they are not members of?
I see you have avoided answering about the airports
Because Gib is trying to become part of the Schengen zone.

I never avoided your question. I stated that Spain should be in charge of border control and that's it. You can run every other aspect of the airport as you wish.

The 96% that you post adnauseam is now vastly reduced with many more taking my stance.
Something I see living here.
At the moment there is no agreement although Spain wrongly calls it's whish list an agreement.
Spain is right because in essence it will be expanding its border to cover Gibraltar.

Is all the whinging about this coming from Gib or the UK or both?
Old Apr 1st 2024, 2:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The whinging always comes from Gibraltar. I get the impression that the UK doesn’t really care what happens to Gibraltar.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never avoided your question. I stated that Spain should be in charge of border control and that's it. You can run every other aspect of the airport as you wish.
Spain is right because in essence it will be expanding its border to cover Gibraltar.
Do I take it that you believe Spain does not want to be in charge of the airport?
Old Apr 1st 2024, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
The whinging always comes from Gibraltar. I get the impression that the UK doesn’t really care what happens to Gibraltar.
Whatever happened to moderators being neutral?
Old Apr 1st 2024, 6:22 pm

I am no longer a mod, so I am now free to say what I think.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

It is being reported today that significant progress has been made in the negotiations regarding Gibraltar's post Brexit status, including on control of the airport (but no details given about what that might consist of). David Cameron does seem to be making more headway than any of his many predecessors.

EU, Britain and Spain say significant progress made in talks on post-Brexit status of Gibraltar - ABC News (go.com)