Gibraltar 2

Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:27 pm
  #1396  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by jimenato
You are surely right.

On 'personal use', apparently today Dutch customs officers were confiscating ham sandwiches from lorry drivers coming from the UK.

When asked if they could take the ham out but keep the bread, the officers said 'No - it all has to go. Welcome to Brexit'.

The Dutch etc need to remember the the ferries run both ways .
Rotor is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:42 pm
  #1397  
DLC
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,153
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Rotor
https://twitter.com/i/status/1348525274867126272

The Dutch etc need to remember the the ferries run both ways .
The UK's stated policy is not to check for products of animal origin for personal consumption... I imagine Border Force has bigger fish to fry.
DLC is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:44 pm
  #1398  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by DLC
The UK's stated policy is not to check for products of animal origin for personal consumption... I imagine Border Force has bigger fish to fry.
I suspect a lot of it is just for show and it will soon die down.
Rotor is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 7:07 am
  #1399  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,718
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

On a lighter note during the Mad Cow fiasco Spanish customs officers on the Gib border were confiscating that extremely dangerous animal product MARMITE!
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 8:14 am
  #1400  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
On a lighter note during the Mad Cow fiasco Spanish customs officers on the Gib border were confiscating that extremely dangerous animal product MARMITE!
Well cows are vegans
Rotor is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 8:18 am
  #1401  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,718
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Rotor
Well cows are vegans
Vegans eat VEGIMITE
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:10 am
  #1402  
Polished expat
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 16,827
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Lynn R
- this Christmas my husband's Stilton came from Lidl and it was fine
Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Lynn please correct me if I am wrong but I thought Stilton was a product with protection under the designated origin rules or has this all gone since Brexit?
Why should that have any implications for its availability in Lidl?
Red Eric is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:18 am
  #1403  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 487
rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Rotor
I suspect a lot of it is just for show and it will soon die down.
. It was all set up for the reporter so that he had an anti Brexit story!

rspltd is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:45 am
  #1404  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Fredbargate's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Land of no recession
Posts: 10,718
Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Why should that have any implications for its availability in Lidl?
Stilton is an animal product and at the moment there appears to be a problem introducing such into the EU from outside.
Therefore as of Jan 1st such imports have stopped.

However as I queried in my original post if stilton is protected under Denomination of Origin rules and these rules still apply then it can no longer be imported into the EU unless things change.
No problems with the port
Fredbargate is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 7:54 am
  #1405  
Polished expat
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 16,827
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
..However as I queried in my original post if stilton is protected under Denomination of Origin rules and these rules still apply then it can no longer be imported into the EU ...
Really?

Where is that stated then?
Red Eric is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:12 am
  #1406  
DLC
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,153
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by rspltd
. It was all set up for the reporter so that he had an anti Brexit story!
If there's any country least likely to stick to the rules just at the start and then quietly forget about them, it's probably The Netherlands. Rules are rules. They'll be polite about it though.
DLC is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:30 am
  #1407  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Rotor
I suspect a lot of it is just for show and it will soon die down.
Well it will die down when people learn the rules and stop trying to do things they're not allowed to do, won't it. I imagine having your butties confiscated once, is enough to stop most people making the same mistake twice.
EuroTrash is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 12:38 pm
  #1408  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,915
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Stilton is an animal product and at the moment there appears to be a problem introducing such into the EU from outside.
Therefore as of Jan 1st such imports have stopped.

However as I queried in my original post if stilton is protected under Denomination of Origin rules and these rules still apply then it can no longer be imported into the EU unless things change.
No problems with the port
Products like meat and dairy items which it is prohiibited for private individuals to bring into the EU from a third country can still be imported into the EU, provided that the correct documentation is presented to Customs and the required phyto-sanitary inspections have been carried out. Therefore it is still (theoretically at least) possible for British cheeses, etc. to be exported to EU member states, if the cost of meeting the new requirements (new to UK businesses, that is, as they have always applied to other third countries) does not make them prohibitively expensive or they take too long to arrive, thus making it not viable for exporters to continue selling them into the EU.

I didn't realise until yesterday, by the way, that cosmetics and skincare products are also on the "forbidden" list for individuals to bring into the EU from the UK (reports of the cars of UK travellers arriving at Santander, being searched and these products being confiscated. The list of things those of us living in Spain will no longer be able to buy in Gibraltar or bring back from trips to the UK grows ever longer.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 12:46 pm
  #1409  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Products like meat and dairy items which it is prohiibited for private individuals to bring into the EU from a third country can still be imported into the EU, provided that the correct documentation is presented to Customs and the required phyto-sanitary inspections have been carried out. Therefore it is still (theoretically at least) possible for British cheeses, etc. to be exported to EU member states, if the cost of meeting the new requirements (new to UK businesses, that is, as they have always applied to other third countries) does not make them prohibitively expensive or they take too long to arrive, thus making it not viable for exporters to continue selling them into the EU.

I didn't realise until yesterday, by the way, that cosmetics and skincare products are also on the "forbidden" list for individuals to bring into the EU from the UK (reports of the cars of UK travellers arriving at Santander, being searched and these products being confiscated. The list of things those of us living in Spain will no longer be able to buy in Gibraltar or bring back from trips to the UK grows ever longer.
EU legislators must realise that there are more deliveries coming into the UK from the EU than the other way around , both sides can make it difficult but that will only cause their own people to lose trade , if the UK said we are going to get our fresh fruit and veg from N Africa ( which the UK already does in small amounts ) many EU farms would fold very quickly.
Rotor is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2021, 1:02 pm
  #1410  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Originally Posted by Rotor
EU legislators must realise that there are more deliveries coming into the UK from the EU than the other way around , both sides can make it difficult but that will only cause their own people to lose trade , if the UK said we are going to get our fresh fruit and veg from N Africa ( which the UK already does in small amounts ) many EU farms would fold very quickly.

Are there any restrictions on fruit and veg going into the UK from the EU?
Whereas, this is absolutely shocking and the UK government should be ashamed of itself https://www.bananalink.org.uk/news/p...anana-imports/
EuroTrash is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.