Gibraltar 2

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar 2

Further to post 845

Police arrest three senior military personnel over runway incident

The Royal Gibraltar Police arrested three senior British military officials yesterday on suspicion they sought to hinder a criminal investigation in Gibraltar.
The unprecedented arrests are the latest development in a sensitive legal tussle over who has jurisdiction in a criminal investigation involving a British serviceman posted to the Rock

Police arrest three senior military personnel over runway incident – Gibraltar Chronicle
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltarians are what they are and Gibraltar is what it is

I once met the foreign affairs spokesman for the predecessor of the PP party who was in Gibraltar on a rare visit. He was pointing out that some of the names of Gibraltar ministers were Spanish and I said to him: "What are you driving at, with a name like Guillermo Kirkpatrick you cannot be Spanish, I presume you are British?"

His argument was that of course he was not British, that he was Spanish, and that his name may be Kirkpatrick but that was irrelevant because his family had settled in Spain many years ago.

And I said to him that, likewise, the families of the Gibraltar ministers he was referring to had been settled in British Gibraltar for centuries in some cases, so using his argument in a contrary-sense, they were British!

Gibraltarians are what they are and Gibraltar is what it is
Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Further to posts 845 & 871 :-

Senior military officers apologise for runway incident

Three senior British military officers in Gibraltar have apologised for taking actions that led to a major disruption on the runway last month and their subsequent arrest.
The three were arrested by the Royal Gibraltar Police on suspicion that they sought to hinder a criminal investigation in Gibraltar.

The unprecedented arrests arose as a result of a sensitive legal tussle over who has jurisdiction in a criminal investigation involving a British serviceman posted to the Rock.

The serviceman under investigation – not one of the three arrested – was on the plane and was being flown to Britain as part of an ongoing UK probe into alleged offences involving indecent images of children.
The RGP wanted to examine computer equipment and establish if an offence had been committed here.
But when investigating officers tried to serve a warrant signed by the Chief Justice of Gibraltar, they were allegedly refused access.

Full article:-
Senior military officers apologise for runway incident – Gibraltar Chronicle
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Today Gibraltar is celebrating Commonwealth Day
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spain’s Foreign Minister, said his government would be willing under certain conditions to explore ways to maintain the free movement of people between the two Ireland and Northern Ireland.

According to El Pais, Sr Dastis made clear that the formula Spain was prepared to apply to Ulster cannot be transferred to Gibraltar.

“Spain is prepared to look into a special status for the British Overseas Territory, in part to facilitate the movement of thousands of Spaniards who work in Gibraltar, but that would require a bilateral agreement between London and Madrid to be conducted separately to the Brexit negotiations.”

Spain would consider ‘special status’ for Gib – report – Gibraltar Chronicle

Until Spain is prepared to talk to Gibraltar nothing will ever move forward
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Department of Employment has launched a leaflet for anyone considering setting up a business, trade or profession in Gibraltar. It will also inform employees of the statutory minimum and their entitlement.

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/sit...on_Leaflet.pdf
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gibraltar tops ‘best image’ in the world, beating Spain to it

March 21, 2017

Although the Spanish foreign ministry are forever trying to knock the Rock, they have now had to swallow that ‘Marca Espana’ has been ranked 36th - while Gibraltar has come out FIRST!

The result has emerged from a system named ‘Mesias’ which is used by the foreign ministry itself to gauge the ranking of every country in the world as regards their image. Imagine the shock when Gibraltar came first.

El Pais newspaper has obtained information sourced from a Spanish foreign ministry confidential report which says that Gibraltar is ranked first in strength of image in a list of countries and territorial jurisdictions throughout the whole world.

So, the ‘marca Gibraltar’ is better than the much-vaunted ‘marca Espana’.

Gibraltar tops ‘best image’ in the world, beating Spain to it
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gib’s post-Brexit relationship with EU ‘must have Spanish backing’, Rajoy says

Gib’s post-Brexit relationship with EU ‘must have Spanish backing’, Rajoy says – Gibraltar Chronicle
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spain’s Foreign Minister, Alfonso Dastis, has told a leading German newspaper that Madrid will not be taking “any type of punitive measures” at the border with Gibraltar after Brexit.
Sr Dastis has made similar statements in recent days to Spanish media, but his comments to Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung are the first time he has spoken about the border to the international media

As May triggers Article 50, Dastis promises ‘no punitive measures’ at border – Gibraltar Chronicle
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the EU has finally caved into the Spanish heavy lobbying over Gib and have in practice handed a veto to Spain over the outcome of the Brexit talks.
I don't understand why the issue doesn't go before the International courts - from the legal opinions I have seen Spain do not have a leg to stand on. Maybe that's why they have never agreed to that course of action. Maybe it's time to call the bluff.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I see that the EU has finally caved into the Spanish heavy lobbying over Gib and have in practice handed a veto to Spain over the outcome of the Brexit talks.
I don't understand why the issue doesn't go before the International courts - from the legal opinions I have seen Spain do not have a leg to stand on. Maybe that's why they have never agreed to that course of action. Maybe it's time to call the bluff.
Perhaps we should offer Scotland to Spain if they withdraw any claims on Gib.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Perhaps we should offer Scotland to Spain if they withdraw any claims on Gib.

I still reckon we should have Minorca back - then all the expats in Spain would have an ideal enclave to flee to if Spain starts to get heavy with them too
Old Apr 6th 2017, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gibraltar yesterday saw the return of long queues and stringent document checks at the border. Early in the morning, afternoon and evening, there were queues of up to two hours delay reaching a peak at around 5pm for both pedestrians and cars

Border delays ahead of new Schengen measures – Gibraltar Chronicle
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Schengen Border Code comes into effect 07.04.17

Old Apr 8th 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been going to Gibraltar for many years from Spain.I am a British National,served in the Forces but disallowed to hold a bank account in my home country which is why,although I would like to help the economy of the UK,any sterling I happen to have is instead in a bank in Gib.who are happy to take my cash.However I am perplexed about accounts of long delays at the border between La Linea & our territory.As a pedestrian I have never been delayed,in fact actually never had my passport looked at,just been waved through by a member of border control.What I cannot imagine is why there are all these cars entering Gib.For what reason?It,s a rock for most of the space available & there are buses there to take you once you come into the territory.Pedal power is OK for workers.Perhaps someone can explain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.