Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GADAFFI IS DEAD.

GADAFFI IS DEAD.

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GADAFFI IS DEAD.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought we had gone back to the 12th century watching those clips. Not a great start to a new modern democracy is it

Was listening to an Arab on TV and he said it didn't bode well for the country as despite what the media says Gadaffi still had a lot of followers in the country if only for tribal reasons. Most people had free electric and free education. According to foreign news Gaddafi isn't the only one being subjected to this treatment! Savages. Next thing the various rebel factions will be tearing each other to pieces.
As ever doom and gloom.

For me the manner of his death was both justified and understandable.

As for the future who knows, the early signs of forming a democracy look promising, tribal differences are not so critical as elsewhere in Africa and in any event it surely can't be any worse than what's gone before.

Best of luck to them and I hope they enjoy their day of celebration before getting down to business again, which incidently is already surprisingly good.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Not really all that strange. Just think for a moment how we all managed to see Gadaffi's death almost as it happened. By mobile phones/youtube rebroadcasts/internet etc.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Those journalists with satellite phones get everywhere don't they? You're not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon by any chance are you ononno?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As ever doom and gloom.

For me the manner of his death was both justified and understandable.

As for the future who knows, the early signs of forming a democracy look promising, tribal differences are not so critical as elsewhere in Africa and in any event it surely can't be any worse than what's gone before.

Best of luck to them and I hope they enjoy their day of celebration before getting down to business again, which incidently is already surprisingly good.
What we have seen is disgusting. The papers & news channels have committed war crimes in showing the world just how barbaric his death was but what is most disgusting is the way oil companies are scurrying around for contracts. You might think things couldn't be any worse, but just like Iraq we'll still be discussing this in 10yrs time.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:34 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
What we have seen is disgusting. The papers & news channels have committed war crimes in showing the world just how barbaric his death was but what is most disgusting is the way oil companies are scurrying around for contracts. You might think things couldn't be any worse, but just like Iraq we'll still be discussing this in 10yrs time.
The papers have committed war crimes? I had no idea.

Personally like DD, I really could not give a sh'it about gaddaffi or the means of his going.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is something in the Geneva convention about showing such things as videos I don't/didn't care about Gaddafi but found the whole thing sickening and barbaric and it demeans the human race.

Last edited by jackytoo; Oct 22nd 2011 at 5:36 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:06 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is something in the Geneva convention about showing such things as videos I don't/didn't care about Gaddafi but found the whole thing sickening and barbaric and it demeans the human race.
I doubt you'd be ranting on so much about the manner of his passing had the lives of yourself and those close to you been ruined or destroyed by his horrific deeds and rule of fear, which no doubt touched on a large part of the Libyan population to one degree or another, including many of those who finally caught up with him.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You may well be right, however, I think it was useful having that image sent round the world. It might make people like Assad of Syria think twice about the road he is on. Seeing Gaddafi die like that might make him think about cutting a deal, democracy for immunity, or something like that.

If that were to happen, then Gaddafi would have done some good after all.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:12 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
You may well be right, however, I think it was useful having that image sent round the world. It might make people like Assad of Syria think twice about the road he is on. Seeing Gaddafi die like that might make him think about cutting a deal, democracy for immunity, or something like that.

If that were to happen, then Gaddafi would have done some good after all.
Good point. Crossed my mind too.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

.........and the best thing of all, is that it was the people whom he had been abusing for so many years, who finally gave him a taste of his own medicine. He was "lucky" in not being tortured and made to "dissapear". unlike so many of his victims
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:52 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
.........and the best thing of all, is that it was the people whom he had been abusing for so many years, who finally gave him a taste of his own medicine. He was "lucky" in not being tortured and made to "dissapear". unlike so many of his victims
Yeah, how would you fancy standing there when they had hold of him and saying "I say chaps, I really think we should give him a fair trial..."
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:01 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, how would you fancy standing there when they had hold of him and saying "I say chaps, I really think we should give him a fair trial..."
Under the circumstances I thought his captors were extremely generous in giving him a bottle of water whilst deciding his fate.
Doubt very much that he was ever quite so considerate.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

As I understood it the purpose of NATO getting involved was to protect the civilian population from the actions of Gadaffis thugs and merceneries.

Officially Gadaffi himself was not a target, nor capturing him the purpose of the action.

However unofficially, I have little doubt what was quite understandably going through their minds during the course of the action, just as they appeared well satisfied with the end result.
Doesn't anyone consider it ironic that both Germany and Poland were the only two NATO countries that refused to go to war against Libya.

I am surprised, well not really.

Jim
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I doubt you'd be ranting on so much about the manner of his passing had the lives of yourself and those close to you been ruined or destroyed by his horrific deeds and rule of fear, which no doubt touched on a large part of the Libyan population to one degree or another, including many of those who finally caught up with him.
I love the way people complain about 'horrific deeds', that is afterall what we have all witnessed in the news this last few days.

Even with the support of Nato it took 8 months to beat Gaddafi. That should tell you that he had a hell of a lot of supporters that are prepared to fight for him. They had a leader that they were happy with, now they have a government imposed on them by the west.

What do you think these supporters will do now? Let me give you a clue, the same thing happened in Iraq & civil war is still raging now because of it. More Iraqi's have died in Iraq since the 2003 than ever died under Saddam's reign (& that's including casulaties from his war with Iran).
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
You may well be right, however, I think it was useful having that image sent round the world. It might make people like Assad of Syria think twice about the road he is on. Seeing Gaddafi die like that might make him think about cutting a deal, democracy for immunity, or something like that
What????? Gaddafi promised oil deals with several western countries (including the UK). These deals were dependent on Megrahi being released. When Megrahi was freed, Gaddafi went back on his word, & made the deals with China instead. France & Italy then struck deals with the rebels (before nato airstrikes even began). The rest as they say, is history.

So no the Syrians only concern is selling oil to China & India that the west wants. You could investigate some of the brutality that goes in in Saudi Arabia, but they'll never be invaded because they sell oil to the US.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:12 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by licinius
What????? Gaddafi promised oil deals with several western countries (including the UK). These deals were dependent on Megrahi being released. When Megrahi was freed, Gaddafi went back on his word, & made the deals with China instead. France & Italy then struck deals with the rebels (before nato airstrikes even began). The rest as they say, is history.

So no the Syrians only concern is selling oil to China & India that the west wants. You could investigate some of the brutality that goes in in Saudi Arabia, but they'll never be invaded because they sell oil to the US.
The clue is in the word 'might'. Syria may fall, it may not. I don't know, and neither do you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.