Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fremasonry in Spain?

Fremasonry in Spain?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Fremasonry in Spain?

Hi

Hoping to move to Spain soon. I was wondering if (UGLE) masonry was prevalent in Spain?

I think it would be a good means of making new friends/contacts and even finding part time work (the latter would be a bonus really).

I know many of you will not know the answer to this but I expect there may be some fellow brethren frequenting this forum?

Graham
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fremasonry in Spain?

Not sure if the Lodge will be overly impressed with this!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Not sure if the Lodge will be overly impressed with this!
Why?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Why?

Why do you think?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Why do you think?
What is your problem?

I pay my dues, give plenty to charity and have made many friends here in the UK.

What is wrong with that and wanting to do the same in another country. When you move to another country you need to make new friends, acquaintances and contacts and I think that Freemasonry is an ideal way to do it.

If you think I want to join a lodge purely to find work, that is not so, as I said, "it would be a bonus" only.

Freemasonry has moved on in the past few years and is far more open and is no longer dominated by the old brigade with their outdated views and beliefs as to how masonry should be conducted.

I joined a lodge for the right reasons, despite what you might think.

I have spoken to several Grand Lodge officers and they seem to think that it is a good idea

SMIB.

Last edited by Gray C; Nov 29th 2006 at 6:47 am.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:01 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

What is your problem?

I pay my dues, give plenty to charity and have made many friends here in the UK.

What is wrong with that and wanting to do the same in another country. When you move to another country you need to make new friends, acquaintances and contacts and I think that Freemasonry is an ideal way to do it.

If you think I want to join a lodge purely to find work, that is not so, as I said, "it would be a bonus" only.

Freemasonry has moved on in the past few years and is far more open and is no longer dominated by the old brigade with their outdated views and beliefs as to how masonry should be conducted.

I have spoken to several Grand Lodge officers and they seem to think that it is a good idea

SMIB.
Go to http://www.lanzadera.com/mason.

You can send them an email and they will give you details of a lodge near you.

I hope you are fluent in Spanish though as this will obviously be required.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:55 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Why do you think?
Maybe you could re-educate us??? I know my father became a mason for a few short years but lasped when he retired.
The peception the non masonic public have is still one of a closed shop where insider deals and favours are condoned, where corrupt officials can seek support etc etc. If as you say it has changed, or even that this was but a tiny minority, then it will need a long PR campaign to get this across... there are still too many films and newspapers items of treachery and cover ups being sanctioned by one mason for another. Just never understood all the secrecy..if you are a member of the local Rotary club etc etc it is usually all in the open. Educate us!!!!!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 9:57 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Matt.. meant to post my response to GrayC......PL
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hoping to move to Spain soon. I was wondering if (UGLE) masonry was prevalent in Spain?

I think it would be a good means of making new friends/contacts and even finding part time work (the latter would be a bonus really).

I know many of you will not know the answer to this but I expect there may be some fellow brethren frequenting this forum?

Graham
There are adverts giving mason meeeting details in local papers here on the Costa Blanca South, I'm not a mason but have seen their notices
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:07 pm
Straw Man.

What is your problem?

SMIB.

My issue brother is in posting on a national forum!

But thanks for the leson in the Fraternity.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

My issue brother is in posting on a national forum!

But thanks for the leson in the Fraternity.
This is my point. Freemasons are now encouraged to be more open about being a member of the craft, from the top, down to new members.

There is a national Masonic publication (MQ) that brethren are encouraged to pass to non masons to read. Therefore, I do not see a problem posting on this forum.

Graham
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are adverts giving mason meeeting details in local papers here on the Costa Blanca South, I'm not a mason but have seen their notices
As I have said, it is a good way of meeting people, many of whom will become friends.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poollounger
Maybe you could re-educate us??? I know my father became a mason for a few short years but lasped when he retired.
The peception the non masonic public have is still one of a closed shop where insider deals and favours are condoned, where corrupt officials can seek support etc etc. If as you say it has changed, or even that this was but a tiny minority, then it will need a long PR campaign to get this across... there are still too many films and newspapers items of treachery and cover ups being sanctioned by one mason for another. Just never understood all the secrecy..if you are a member of the local Rotary club etc etc it is usually all in the open. Educate us!!!!!
I agree with you that Freemasonry had a bad image years ago with much of what you allege being a common perception of masonry.

However, over the past few years, the number of people joining the fraternity has dropped dramatically (same with Rotary, the Buffs and Lions).

As the older members have died off a younger more forward thinking generation of mason has largely taken over. The Grand Lodge now want to attract new members and have come to realise that the way freemasonry is perceived by the general public has got to change.

It is now not uncommon for lodge meetings to be opened up to non masons to give them a feel for what takes place in the lodge room. New membership is encouraged, and gone are the days when you had to be invited to join a lodge. Also "Open days" at masonic halls are now popular, where both prospective members and their wives are invited to look around and discuss with senior brethren what is involved with masonry.

After all, you now only have to "google" to find out most of what masonry is all about.

In the past I think secret dealings may have taken place, as you have referred to, but this is now frowned upon and positively discouraged. Yes, there are signs and ways for masons to recognise each other, but as far as I am concerned, it has never been used by me, or in turn proferred to me for "gain" in employment.

I would suggest you go to a local lodge and ask questions. you will be surprised how many masons (the younger ones in particular) are willing to discuss what the lodge offers them.

Finally, for me, I enjoy the company, have made some good friends and get a lot of satisfaction that my lodge donations are being used for worthy causes. For example, not long after (a couple of weeks or so) the Tsunami, United Grand Lodge sent a donation of well in excess of £50,000 to the disaster appeal. That is just one case that I can think of from many.

Masonry is not for everyone, but unless you have been in the fraternity it is unfair to knock it.

I would like to say finally that it is not a good idea to want to join a lodge, purely for the gains (work for example) that you may hope to achieve, as you will almost certainly be disappointed.

For me it would be a very good way to meet people and make new friends. If I was offered a job in Spain by a fellow mason I would like to think it was offered to me on merit through my work skills and not because I am a member of a lodge.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:25 pm
Straw Man.

This is my point. Freemasons are now encouraged to be more open about being a member of the craft, from the top, down to new members.

There is a national Masonic publication (MQ) that brethren are encouraged to pass to non masons to read. Therefore, I do not see a problem posting on this forum.

Graham

Not everyone wants the openness.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not everyone wants the openness.
Each to their own I suppose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.