Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fremasonry in Spain?

Fremasonry in Spain?

Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:41 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fremasonry in Spain?

Originally Posted by Gray C
Each to their own I suppose!

Yep.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 6:50 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I agree with you that Freemasonry had a bad image years ago with much of what you allege being a common perception of masonry.

However, over the past few years, the number of people joining the fraternity has dropped dramatically (same with Rotary, the Buffs and Lions).

As the older members have died off a younger more forward thinking generation of mason has largely taken over. The Grand Lodge now want to attract new members and have come to realise that the way freemasonry is perceived by the general public has got to change.

It is now not uncommon for lodge meetings to be opened up to non masons to give them a feel for what takes place in the lodge room. New membership is encouraged, and gone are the days when you had to be invited to join a lodge. Also "Open days" at masonic halls are now popular, where both prospective members and their wives are invited to look around and discuss with senior brethren what is involved with masonry.

After all, you now only have to "google" to find out most of what masonry is all about.

In the past I think secret dealings may have taken place, as you have referred to, but this is now frowned upon and positively discouraged. Yes, there are signs and ways for masons to recognise each other, but as far as I am concerned, it has never been used by me, or in turn proferred to me for "gain" in employment.

I would suggest you go to a local lodge and ask questions. you will be surprised how many masons (the younger ones in particular) are willing to discuss what the lodge offers them.

Finally, for me, I enjoy the company, have made some good friends and get a lot of satisfaction that my lodge donations are being used for worthy causes. For example, not long after (a couple of weeks or so) the Tsunami, United Grand Lodge sent a donation of well in excess of £50,000 to the disaster appeal. That is just one case that I can think of from many.

Masonry is not for everyone, but unless you have been in the fraternity it is unfair to knock it.

I would like to say finally that it is not a good idea to want to join a lodge, purely for the gains (work for example) that you may hope to achieve, as you will almost certainly be disappointed.

For me it would be a very good way to meet people and make new friends. If I was offered a job in Spain by a fellow mason I would like to think it was offered to me on merit through my work skills and not because I am a member of a lodge.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Personally I have no real interest....being on the committe of a small sailing club takes up enough time....but was just curious from a casual point of view. Especially as a couple of nights ago Channel 5 showed a movie I had never come across, Johnny Depp and Ian Holm in 'From Hell', a stylish well made film about one possible series of events around the Jack the Ripper murders, suggesting that the masons were involved in a cover up for the Duke of Clarence's marriage to and love child by one of the girls, involving the murder of a group of them. In cahoots with Queen Victoria !! Maybe not entirely implausible when you consider the conjecture around the death of Diana. Not an image the modern masons want to perpetuate !! Good to hear about the Tsunami appeal....though as it was so oversubscribed, do you know how the funds were utilised or whether they were then deployed elsewhere.....plenty of other lower profile causes crying out for funds.

Last edited by poollounger; Nov 29th 2006 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Personally I have no real interest....being on the committe of a small sailing club takes up enough time....but was just curious from a casual point of view. Especially as a couple of nights ago Channel 5 showed a movie I had never come across, Johnny Depp and Ian Holm in 'From Hell', a stylish well made film about one possible series of events around the Jack the Ripper murders, suggesting that the masons were involved in a cover up for the Duke of Clarence's marriage to and love child by one of the girls, involving the murder of a group of them. In cahoots with Queen Victoria !! Maybe not entirely implausible when you consider the conjecture around the death of Diana. Not an image the modern masons want to perpetuate !! Good to hear about the Tsunami appeal....though as it was so oversubscribed, do you know how the funds were utilised or whether they were then deployed elsewhere.....plenty of other lower profile causes crying out for funds.
I saw that film and quite enjoyed it. I have heard the stories about the masonic link to Jack the Ripper. It is interesting to note that the police officer in charge of the case (I think his name was Inspector Abelene) was a high up Freemason, so I doubt the connection really, but who knows?

As for the charities, we give a lot to small local and national charities, which gives me a lot of satisfaction

Regards

Graham
Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

Each to their own I suppose!
Can women join the masons?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by culchie
I believe that there are now some women's lodges.

If you contact the United Grand Lodge of England, they may be able to provide you with more information.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

I believe that there are now some women's lodges.

If you contact the United Grand Lodge of England, they may be able to provide you with more information.

Yeah, right! I think that my original view of the masons is correct. You might have a shiny new soundbite type presentation but underneath it all is the same old bigoted bullshit!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, right! I think that my original view of the masons is correct. You might have a shiny new soundbite type presentation but underneath it all is the same old bigoted bullshit!

If that is your view, so be it. As I said, each to their own.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:07 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't hold back!

What about me, I'm a church going female Roman Catholic, can I join?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:28 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

There is the Order of the Eastern Star and Order of the Amaranth that both allow women to become members.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

This is my point. Freemasons are now encouraged to be more open about being a member of the craft, from the top, down to new members.

Graham
From secret graft to open craft in a generation. Progress indeed. What is freemasonry craft anyway? It's good to see that women are now becoming accepted as members of society, though full emancipation is probably some centuries away yet.

I was at a church service for freemasons in an official capacity a year ago and I found the ceremonial stuff and those strange aprons they all wear quite wierd. It was a struggle to avoid sniggering at times. Now it has been mentioned in here it does remind me that a very large proportion were way past the first flushes of youth.

I have been along to Rotary and Lions events and find them very pleasant people and do a geat community job. The organisers always are keen to inject new blood as people won't spare the time any more- or the cash for all those fundraising causes,weekly lunches and dinners. Rather like freemasons they seem to be surviving with some difficulty. So far, I have resisted the offers to join Rotary but I do see they are a good outfit. I rather like the idea that you can turn up at one of their events anywhere in the world and be welcomed to lunch or dinner- for an expat or traveller that has to be a valuable benefit in a "strange" place.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
From secret graft to open craft in a generation. Progress indeed. What is freemasonry craft anyway? It's good to see that women are now becoming accepted as members of society, though full emancipation is probably some centuries away yet.

I was at a church service for freemasons in an official capacity a year ago and I found the ceremonial stuff and those strange aprons they all wear quite wierd. It was a struggle to avoid sniggering at times. Now it has been mentioned in here it does remind me that a very large proportion were way past the first flushes of youth.

I have been along to Rotary and Lions events and find them very pleasant people and do a geat community job. The organisers always are keen to inject new blood as people won't spare the time any more- or the cash for all those fundraising causes,weekly lunches and dinners. Rather like freemasons they seem to be surviving with some difficulty. So far, I have resisted the offers to join Rotary but I do see they are a good outfit. I rather like the idea that you can turn up at one of their events anywhere in the world and be welcomed to lunch or dinner- for an expat or traveller that has to be a valuable benefit in a "strange" place.
Rotary seem like a good organisation (never been to a meeting personally, but have heard good reports) to join, if the Masons does not appeal to you.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

My Father was a Freemason in Persia, now Iran. He died in 1977 at the age of 70.

My mother is now 92 & lives alone in London, Uk. She has now developed short term memory loss. & it is getting worse. She has carers in twice a day, but they don't stay long.

I am wondering if there is any help my sister & I can get for her in London from the Freemason's. I live in Spain & my sister lives in Switzerland. So it is very difficult for us to get correct advice.

Unfortunately my mother gave back the apron after my father died, we could have got some clues from that as to where to start from the apron.

I know this is a long shot but if anyone has any ideas on whom to go to for advice from the Freemason's my sister & I would be very grateful.

Thank-you in advance.

Wendy x
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hey don't hold back!

What about me, I'm a church going female Roman Catholic, can I join?
LOL!!!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hoping to move to Spain soon. I was wondering if (UGLE) masonry was prevalent in Spain?

I think it would be a good means of making new friends/contacts and even finding part time work (the latter would be a bonus really).

I know many of you will not know the answer to this but I expect there may be some fellow brethren frequenting this forum?

Graham
I know there's an English one where I live because dh has been approached to join
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth
My Father was a Freemason in Persia, now Iran. He died in 1977 at the age of 70.

My mother is now 92 & lives alone in London, Uk. She has now developed short term memory loss. & it is getting worse. She has carers in twice a day, but they don't stay long.

I am wondering if there is any help my sister & I can get for her in London from the Freemason's. I live in Spain & my sister lives in Switzerland. So it is very difficult for us to get correct advice.

Unfortunately my mother gave back the apron after my father died, we could have got some clues from that as to where to start from the apron.

I know this is a long shot but if anyone has any ideas on whom to go to for advice from the Freemason's my sister & I would be very grateful.

Thank-you in advance.

Wendy x
They have a very informative website. I think the charity you want is their Samaritans fund. Google Masons and Charity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.