Reload this Page >

Flying with Dogs

Flying with Dogs

Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

simonbentley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with Dogs

Hi everyone.

I have a staffordshire bull terrior with me in spain and I would like to take him back to the UK with me when I go in March/April.

Does anybody know any airlines that will fly with him due to his breed?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:09 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Flying with Dogs

Originally Posted by simonbentley
Hi everyone.

I have a staffordshire bull terrior with me in spain and I would like to take him back to the UK with me when I go in March/April.

Does anybody know any airlines that will fly with him due to his breed?
may I suggest you put yourself in a box and travel for a couple of hours in the hold of an aircraft ?
when you have recovered perhaps you would wish to re-consider taking a dog on a plane
remember that if you are coming back then it will be twice as bad for the dog.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Flying with Dogs

Well my reason for going back as you seem so interested is to collect a car and drive back.

Thanks for very helpful answer!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Well my reason for going back as you seem so interested is to collect a car and drive back.

Thanks for very helpful answer!
Simon, not interested in your reason(s) for travelling, thats between you and yours.
However, interested in the welfare of the dog hence the very helpful answer.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

But companys do fly with them so I thought it would be not such a bad experience? As alot of people do it or not?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:54 pm

But companys do fly with them so I thought it would be not such a bad experience? As alot of people do it or not?
try it yourself and report back
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:56 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

You could walk it back or ask domino to walk it for you. We sent our animals back with a company called easy pet. They drove while we flew. (Obviously the animals didn't drive, they were in the back in cages). It were a rabbit and a gunnea pig and it cost about 300 euros. But we love animals and couldn't bear to leave them. If it would've been cheaper to have them fly I would have done that. Shorter time in transit, tranq em up. Bobs your uncle. I have no idea which airline to use but I don't think you're cruel for taking the doggy on a plane. I think it is crueler to leave your dog here while you go back and never return. So many people do it. So respect to you for taking doggy with ya.

(I also know that OP is returning as it is stated that he is bringing a car back but there is no time limit of how long he will be there)

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Jan 31st 2012 at 8:02 pm. Reason: Nitpickers.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:44 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
may I suggest you put yourself in a box and travel for a couple of hours in the hold of an aircraft ?
when you have recovered perhaps you would wish to re-consider taking a dog on a plane

What a silly answer. You cant possibly know what a dog feels or thinks. Lets face it, dogs arent humans and probably dont feel slighted or offended that they cant sit in first class with an extra leg room seat and a glass of cava!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

To a certain extent I agree with Domino.
There's more to it than just being locked in a box on an aircraft.
It's everything else involved including the various transport and handling stages and especially the loading and unloading.

I can imagine the average Spanish baggage handler having more respect for a tin of sardines than a crate with a dog inside and there have been cases of such rough handling, that crates have broken open and the dogs escaped, no doubt totally confused, terrified, and traumatised.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:27 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
To a certain extent I agree with Domino.
There's more to it than just being locked in a box on an aircraft.
It's everything else involved including the various transport and handling stages and especially the loading and unloading.

I can imagine the average Spanish baggage handler having more respect for a tin of sardines than a crate with a dog inside and there have been cases of such rough handling, that crates have broken open and the dogs escaped, no doubt totally confused, terrified, and traumatised.
Don't talk nonsense. If a dog escapes from a leash does it become confused, terrified and traumatised? No.. It bounds around being all happy and mental. As long as they don't break the crate (which isn't gonna happen) things will be fine.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Dont you think you are being a bit hard on simonB?

Dogs are transported all over the world by plane, could it really be so bad,

Being a dog does have its up side, they can lick their own balls and sh1t in the street, but into each life a little rain must fall......so they are not allowed to sit with the human passengers, it is all part of being a canine.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
Don't talk nonsense. If a dog escapes from a leash does it become confused, terrified and traumatised? No.. It bounds around being all happy and mental. As long as they don't break the crate (which isn't gonna happen) things will be fine.
We're not talking about just escaping from the leash, nor about the owner being present, nor about the dog being on familiar ground or anything else familiar, add to that being chucked about in a crate and you're trying to compare apples and pears,....... and it does happen.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here we flew our cat out with us and she was on the same plane, there was no way we were going to leave her behind and flying was the least traveling time so the stress was of a less duration.

She seemed to cope with the journey very well, perhaps a little shocked for
half an hour but she was soon back to herself and into mischief as normal, I think the experience upset me more than her.

Monarch fly pets but it's not cheap, that is who we used but it's over four years ago now and it cost over £300 back then.

Having said all of that, if you are only going away for a short while it might be kinder to put your dog into kennels for the duration, also not cheap but less traumatic for the dog.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

we had our wee dog flown from Hong Kong to Scotland (try doing that overland!) Then from Scotland to Spain, with no ill effects or trauma.

She's a white pekingese (nearly 14 years old) and airlines don't like taking "short nosed dogs".

With a pitbull you may run up similar problems (not the snub nose part, but people are wary of pitbulls)

BTW...it's not cheap. Hong Kong to Scotland came somewhere inbetween the price of an encomy ticket and a business class ticket for a human

A suggestion would be to go ask the local vet to reccomend a good kennel.Then go check it out, before booking.

Last edited by dunmovin; Feb 1st 2012 at 3:38 am.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
What a silly answer. You cant possibly know what a dog feels or thinks. Lets face it, dogs arent humans and probably dont feel slighted or offended that they cant sit in first class with an extra leg room seat and a glass of cava!

Jo xxx
very small minded attitude, "I'm alright Jack so sod the rest of the world.!"

these are the times when the inner buddhist comes out in me, because the butterfly doesnt cry out when you rip its wings off doesnt mean it doesnt feel pain.
when man meets his first et, will that et laugh as it rips mans arms and legs off.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.