Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Feeling fed up and lonely

Feeling fed up and lonely

Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling fed up and lonely

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spanish people are only darker skinned than Brits in the summer. In the winter they are the same. I read that recently in a scientific journal

And not all Spanish people tan well in the summer. My OH is remains pale and takes ages to tan, I am tanned already just with the winter sun.

Of courses there are lots of dark haired Spanish people, but to say a Spaniard has never seen a tall blonde person is just ignorant bigotry.

In our wedding we had about 50 Spaniards and 30 Brits, there were more blonde Spaniards than there were blonde Brits. Most Brits have dark hair you know, they dont look like Boris Johnson!

Btw, there is nothing wrong with dark haired or dark skinned people! But for you to be living in Spain and say what you are saying is quite amazing. But I am in a bad mood at the moment after the Gaurdian Spain week, I am thinking of cutting all ties to Britain (seriously)..
From reading some of your posts I thought you already had. Let me remind you what I think and what I’ve always written. I can’t tell the difference between Spanish and British people in general, apart from the obvious physical differences in some cases.

You on the other hand have married into a foreign family and run down your birthplace on every possible occasion. There’s no need for it, most of the members on a Spanish forum love Spain and speak highly of it. But we don’t continuously run down where we come from.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
You on the other hand have married into a foreign family and run down your birthplace on every possible occasion. There’s no need for it, most of the members on a Spanish forum love Spain and speak highly of it. But we don’t continuously run down where we come from.
Don't worry. If Cricketman is serious about "cutting all ties" then that will surely include a web-forum populated mainly by brits. You soon won't have to read his running down britain posts.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spanish people are only darker skinned than Brits in the summer. In the winter they are the same. I read that recently in a scientific journal

And not all Spanish people tan well in the summer. My OH is remains pale and takes ages to tan, I am tanned already just with the winter sun.

Of courses there are lots of dark haired Spanish people, but to say a Spaniard has never seen a tall blonde person is just ignorant bigotry.

In our wedding we had about 50 Spaniards and 30 Brits, there were more blonde Spaniards than there were blonde Brits. Most Brits have dark hair you know, they dont look like Boris Johnson!

Btw, there is nothing wrong with dark haired or dark skinned people! But for you to be living in Spain and say what you are saying is quite amazing. But I am in a bad mood at the moment after the Gaurdian Spain week, I am thinking of cutting all ties to Britain (seriously)..
I thought that you were more thick skinned, with the verbal scraps that we have been in you would have to be

Whatever was written in the Spain week, should not make you want to cut ties with your roots, its only words on a paper after all.

You could always write to the paper, as "disgusted, Tumbridge Wells."
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I said before, the thread is 12 months old and Debbie hasn't been back here since 12 July last year

In the centre of Valencia I have seen a lot of English speakers, but probably the majority holidaymakers. Have you tried local childrens groups? Although English may be in the minority, it would give you a chance to practice your Spanish a bit
i have seen alot of guaderias for children but none hat are english. i am just outside of valencia in a smaller town and there is no english here at all. yes i am learning spanish but just on my own so it is a slow process when most of my day is just speaking with my toddler and not spanish people.
taking classes right now would be tricky with my husband working shift work and i have no one to look after my little one. slowly but surely i guess but in the meantime... i have been here over a year and its been very lonely
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Rest assured that you wont be missed!
Speak for yourself.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Return to topic please
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
i have seen alot of guaderias for children but none hat are english.
You can still put your english child in one. My son is 2 and goes to a guarderia a few mornings a week. he is the only english child there. that makes no difference to him. he will learn spanish. after just a few weeks the teacher said he is understanding her commands, though isnt speaking it yet. However he also understands most that i tell him in english but isnt speaking that either.it is good to submerse them in both languages...they may be slower talking but when they get up and going they soon catch up..and in 2 languages! Dont let your fear of spanish speaking places stop your little one from integrating.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Palmera
You can still put your english child in one. My son is 2 and goes to a guarderia a few mornings a week. he is the only english child there. that makes no difference to him. he will learn spanish. after just a few weeks the teacher said he is understanding her commands, though isnt speaking it yet. However he also understands most that i tell him in english but isnt speaking that either.it is good to submerse them in both languages...they may be slower talking but when they get up and going they soon catch up..and in 2 languages! Dont let your fear of spanish speaking places stop your little one from integrating.
spanish is not something i fear. i go shopping and do stuff on my own all the time and i speak very bad spanish but perfect french so i get by. my spanish probably sounds like a 3 year old learning to speak hahaha but people seem to understand me
i am very happy my son is going to learn both languages fluently. he does already understand english and spanish commands but only word in spanish he says so far is hola.
the other like 5 or 6 things he says are english.

for me my main thing is having him met other kids and also for me to be able to have someone with children that I can talk to ... someone english for now would be more ideal untill my spanish is better. being here a year already and only just chatting to friends back home via webcam/email is hard.
i havent seen any groups for moms here at all that are english speakers... I am near Valencia so i would think there might be,,,
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

spanish is not something i fear. i go shopping and do stuff on my own all the time and i speak very bad spanish but perfect french so i get by. my spanish probably sounds like a 3 year old learning to speak hahaha but people seem to understand me
i am very happy my son is going to learn both languages fluently. he does already understand english and spanish commands but only word in spanish he says so far is hola.
the other like 5 or 6 things he says are english.

for me my main thing is having him met other kids and also for me to be able to have someone with children that I can talk to ... someone english for now would be more ideal untill my spanish is better. being here a year already and only just chatting to friends back home via webcam/email is hard.
i havent seen any groups for moms here at all that are english speakers... I am near Valencia so i would think there might be,,,
Is there anywhere in your locality that you could put a little sign up asking if anyone would like to take part in language intercambio. This may result in you getting to know someone and help both of you with becoming more confident when speaking.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

i have seen alot of guaderias for children but none that are english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmera
You can still put your english child in one...

spanish is not something i fear.
I was just replying to your original post insinuating you are looking for an english guarderia for your child. (you said you have seen a lot of guarderias for children but none that are english). On that comment, i was letting you know that an 'english' guarderia wasn't important for your child.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

When I first came I put my daughter in Spanish guarderia for the morning and enroled in Spanish classes, painting, yoga classes anything else I was interested in just to meet people! The spanish class people started going to coffee after class and most were english or dutch who spoke english. No they did not have kids the age of mine but it was great to chat! As my circle grew I gradually met other mums. Try going to the climbing frames on the beach or parks and listen out for mums calling to their kids in english! be brave and strike up a conversation ie "do you know a good guarderia" etc We have all had to do it!
Have you looked at the website mumsinspain.com?
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

yes i have looked at the mumsinspain page but there is nothing for my area