Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Feeling fed up and lonely

Feeling fed up and lonely

Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feeling fed up and lonely

I feel very lonely as well, we have no neighbours only holiday homes, and I dont drive
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice

Originally Posted by 1debbie2
When we moved to spain we decided on a house in the campo, huge mistake, when we saw the house we loved it and the fantastic fews. The house is not remote we are just on the side of a road. The problem is since moving here i havnt driven, we had 2 big cars and i didnt want to drive them. My hubby is out at work all day so i spend everyday on my own. When he is not so busy with work he will drop me off to have a coffee with freinds, but that is not very often. As each day goes by i am feeling more and more fed up and missing my family and freinds so much in the uk. I can see a divorce coming as my husband loves it here so much although he does worry about me spending so much time on my own. We are hoping to buy a smaller car soon so maybe it will get better. Does any one else feel lonely where they live.
This may sound a bit silly, but why not get a bike? If you don't live somewhere too hilly it's a good idea and keeps you in shape too. Also the driving lessons are a good idea, if your Spanish isn't that good you can always find an instructor who speaks English.

If you really want to move away, why not try renting on the coast? If monay is a problem maybe you could rent your house out to cover the cost. Oh, and another thought just came to me, until you get your confidence, why don't you get a lift into town with your husband when he goes to work and spend the time there, doing a course or meeting up with friends.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember you're not alone.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I have had five and a half years of this - I just can't afford to move to an area where there are more English-speaking folk. I have been to the three or four largest towns around here and asked at the town hall if there are any expats living in or near. They won't tell me because of 'confidentiality' reasons (that's a first). I have put up notices - after asking permission - in libraries but to no avail. I guess that not many expats visit Spanish libraries.

Jaen has hardly any expats. I blame myself for not realizing how difficult life would be without a good gossip now and again.

People around here are friendly - but not to the point of inviting you into their homes or to take part in their celebrations. Invites to my house are politely declined.

There is always the lottery!!!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:42 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I have had five and a half years of this - I just can't afford to move to an area where there are more English-speaking folk. I have been to the three or four largest towns around here and asked at the town hall if there are any expats living in or near. They won't tell me because of 'confidentiality' reasons (that's a first). I have put up notices - after asking permission - in libraries but to no avail. I guess that not many expats visit Spanish libraries.

Jaen has hardly any expats. I blame myself for not realizing how difficult life would be without a good gossip now and again.

People around here are friendly - but not to the point of inviting you into their homes or to take part in their celebrations. Invites to my house are politely declined.

There is always the lottery!!!
Are you actually in Jaen or just in the province of Jaen
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Are you actually in Jaen or just in the province of Jaen
The Province - Baeza. It's a 365-day a year magnet for tourists but I can find no-one who is an expatriate who lives here. Beautiful place though. I sometimes go a bit further up the road to shop - Carrefour in Ubeda - and often hear English spoken. I do say 'hello' and chat for a while but they turn out to be just staying overnight and are shopping for snacks et al before moving on to somewhere else in the morning. As I said previously - my own fault - c'est la vie - wrong language but I don't know the Spanish for it.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:03 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

The Province - Baeza. It's a 365-day a year magnet for tourists but I can find no-one who is an expatriate who lives here. Beautiful place though. I sometimes go a bit further up the road to shop - Carrefour in Ubeda - and often hear English spoken. I do say 'hello' and chat for a while but they turn out to be just staying overnight and are shopping for snacks et al before moving on to somewhere else in the morning. As I said previously - my own fault - c'est la vie - wrong language but I don't know the Spanish for it.
Hmmm, yeah that is a bit way up, I guess, from most expats.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I did at least stay for several nights when we stayed in Baeza! Nice places, loads of history, both Baeza and Úbeda, but not sure I'd want to live there. Olive trees as far as the eye can see! Don't know if it's still the same in Baeza, but we had never seen so many Guardia Civil, it was a while before we realised they had a training school/barracks there!
c'est la vie- Así es la vida.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I did at least stay for several nights when we stayed in Baeza! Nice places, loads of history, both Baeza and Úbeda, but not sure I'd want to live there. Olive trees as far as the eye can see! Don't know if it's still the same in Baeza, but we had never seen so many Guardia Civil, it was a while before we realised they had a training school/barracks there!
c'est la vie- Así es la vida.
Puta vida.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mataroni
This may sound a bit silly, but why not get a bike? If you don't live somewhere too hilly it's a good idea and keeps you in shape too. Also the driving lessons are a good idea, if your Spanish isn't that good you can always find an instructor who speaks English.

If you really want to move away, why not try renting on the coast? If monay is a problem maybe you could rent your house out to cover the cost. Oh, and another thought just came to me, until you get your confidence, why don't you get a lift into town with your husband when he goes to work and spend the time there, doing a course or meeting up with friends.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember you're not alone.
You may not have noticed, this thread is a year old
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You may not have noticed, this thread is a year old
Did they have bikes in them days ?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Baeza last year. It is a beautiful place and the people who lived there were very well presented, it was a Sunday so I guess it is a very traditional type of place.

After 5 and a half years in a town where no English is spoken I am surprised that you are not fluent in Spanish. Maybe the best thing would be to get some books out, watch Spanish TV and to get a tandem partner, I am sure someone in Baeza would like you to teach them English - and you would learn Spanish
Old Mar 28th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

5 years, you should have been fluent by now. You haven't helped yourself there at all.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Feeling fed up and lonely

I do hope Im not breaking any code of conduct here, and please excuse me if I am (first time user), but given that this started a year ago, and that was the last heard from 1debbie2, does anyone know what happened? or isn't this site/forum for such questions? perhaps I misunderstood the point of the site altogether (no pun intended).
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 17polarbear
I do hope Im not breaking any code of conduct here, and please excuse me if I am (first time user), but given that this started a year ago, and that was the last heard from 1debbie2, does anyone know what happened? or isn't this site/forum for such questions? perhaps I misunderstood the point of the site altogether (no pun intended).
it would be nice to know how it turned out, but often people come on to a forum, ask a question or two, then disappear!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goaty
5 years, you should have been fluent by now. You haven't helped yourself there at all.
I have helped myself as much as I could given my age and how things don't 'gel' as much as they used to. I can hold my own with the doctor, the vet and the dentist and shopping is a breeze but the Andaluz accent here is very thick and not easy to understand given the speed at which it is delivered. This place is lovely but, in the street where I live, there are neighbours who stand on each others doorstep and natter - and never go into each others houses. One of the nicest neighbours tells me that she has been in this street for 40 years and has never been inside her neighbours houses! What chance do I have? Please don't think that I have not tried - I really have but to no avail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.