Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Espanol - theory vs reality!

Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Espanol - theory vs reality!

Originally Posted by bil

Estoy nandando = I am swimming right at this instant.

Can't remember if that's the progressive present or the continuous present.
¿nandar?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
¿nandar?

NANdar
It is a verb that means to walk............

.(Grandmother)

Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
gerund - from wiki

gerund - from wiki

Quote:
In linguistics, gerund (abbreviated ger) is a term used to refer to various non-finite verb forms in various languages:

* As applied to English, it refers to the usage of a verb (in its -ing form) as a noun (for example, the verb "learning" in the sentence "Learning is an easy process for some")

Well, I got told off for using wiki because of its inaccuracies. It isn't a verified source of data and needs to be verified before you use it.

Try googling 'definition of gerund' They mostly agree with my definition.

Here's a typical one from a site to do with Spanish

http://spanish.about.com/cs/verbs/g/gerundgl.htm

Definition: Traditionally, "gerund" is the term used to refer to a certain Latin verb form that could function as a noun.
Nowadays, the term generally is used to refer to the present participle in English and the verbal present participle of Spanish. These are the verb forms that end in '-ing" in English and -ando or -endo in Spanish. In both languages, the gerund is used to form the progressive or continuous tenses. Note that while the English gerund can be and frequently is used a noun, the Spanish gerund does not function as a noun.

A lot of people get it wrong, and such sloopy useage of terminology is what is causing your misunderstansding.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I got told off for using wiki because of its inaccuracies. It isn't a verified source of data and needs to be verified before you use it.

Definition: Traditionally, "gerund" is the term used to refer to a certain Latin verb form that could function as a noun.
Nowadays, the term generally is used to refer to the present participle in English and the verbal present participle of Spanish. These are the verb forms that end in '-ing" in English and -ando or -endo in Spanish. In both languages, the gerund is used to form the progressive or continuous tenses. Note that while the English gerund can be and frequently is used a noun, the Spanish gerund does not function as a noun.

A lot of people get it wrong, and such sloopy useage of terminology is what is causing your misunderstansding.

So, what is is trying to say for us simpletons is,

Follando can only be used when one is actually on the job, not when one is only talking about it.............
I think that about covers it....
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
So, what is is trying to say for us simpletons is,

Follando can only be used when one is actually on the job, not when one is only talking about it.............
I think that about covers it....
I think you have hit the nail on the head, I am too breathless on the job so it doesn`t affect me
I hate to imagine what people that are learning Spanish think about knit picking threads like this, everyone Googling and trying to outdo each other, why does it have to be so picky, there really is no need for it.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
I think you have hit the nail on the head, I am too breathless on the job so it doesn`t affect me
I hate to imagine what people that are learning Spanish think about knit picking threads like this, everyone Googling and trying to outdo each other, why does it have to be so picky, there really is no need for it.
nice to know that you have still got lead in ya pencil and there is life in the old dog yet.....

it is when you get too breathless to do it, that is the time to worry.

Last edited by JLFS; Jan 31st 2010 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:29 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Isn't that an English irregular verb?

I am precise
You are picky
He is anal.

As far as I know, Knitting hasn't been mentioned before. (Just woolly thought? ahaha, I slay me.) You are correct to say it's not a major point in the language, but the whole point about language is that it is there to exchange data, and a degree of precision is necessary.

Do you approve of people saying 'Well wikkid, innit?' and such liguistic aberrations?

Don't you think that it is reasonable to try and speak a language reasonably well?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:08 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I must confess that, being picky and precise, I am unlikely to get very good at Spanish. You've just got to go for it and forget the minutiae, they will slow you down - they are slowing me down.

Nothing wrong with getting it 100% correct of course, as long as you don't get hung up on it......
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato

I must confess that, being picky and precise, I am unlikely to get very good at Spanish. You've just got to go for it and forget the minutiae, they will slow you down - they are slowing me down.

Nothing wrong with getting it 100% correct of course, as long as you don't get hung up on it......
Having that attitude is what will get you there in the end.

Learning a language should be fun, well if not fun, it should not be a sweat inducing trial to say a few sentences.

I have heard people saying that so and so speaks perfect Spanish or perfect English, twaddle.....

Best to jump in there with both feet, leave your cringe threshold at home, and go for it.

The other day I heard a conversation between an English woman and a Spanish woman, the English one said that she liked "Calceta" (knitting), the Spanish woman corrected her and told her that the word was "caceta".

The Englishwoman thanked her, but the word is calceta, and the English woman was right, so it just goes to show that nobody speaks perfect Spanish, not even the Spanish.........

The more you speak, the more you will hear and learn. A lot of posters on here have been through it.

The things I had to think of when learning English, like trying to remember when to say, I am cutting my hair, and I am having my hair cut.
Complicated for me, but I got through it, like you will.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:32 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato

Impossible to get 100% in any language, even your mother tongue. Nothing wrong with being picky and precise, thoroughness is good.

Let's face it, you will never need all of any language, but to be able to grasp the grammatic structure of the language and understand the whys and wherefores of a particular piece of Spanish is deeply stisfying.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

no misunderstansding on my part - or my Spanish speaking friends (we all understand each other fine when we have a chat)

you just said what I (and some others) said

gerund - English

gerundio - Spanish

slightly different uses

Last edited by lynnxa; Feb 1st 2010 at 5:12 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

NANdar
It is a verb that means to walk............

Not when he says, Estoy nandando = I am swimming right at this instant.
As for the meaning "to walk", is that argot? Never heard of it, nor has RAE. Nor my Spanish friends.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:31 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

As for the meaning "to walk", is that argot? Never heard of it, nor has RAE. Nor my Spanish friends.

Last edited by me me; Feb 1st 2010 at 8:34 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:36 am
Banned

When you quoted me you missed the "grandmother" bit off the end.
It was in answer to you question about NANDAR? from a previous post

I made a little Spanglish pun;

Andar, andando, = walk

Grandmother = nan

Grandmother walking = NANdando......

So unless the Spanish peeps you asked know that NAN is Grandmother, they would not get it.

Another word We used when us Spanish kids got together in the UK was, HERMANBRO

Last edited by JLFS; Feb 1st 2010 at 8:40 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

When you quoted me you missed the "grandmother" bit off the end.
It was in answer to you question about NANDAR? from a previous post

I made a little Spanglish pun;

Andar, andando, = walk

Grandmother = nan

Grandmother walking = NANdando......

So unless the Spanish peeps you asked know that NAN is Grandmother, they would not get it.

Another word We used when us Spanish kids got together in the UK was, HERMANBRO

I got it

hermanbro - that's a good one

I just remembered - this thread is
& let's face it - the theory is often far from the reality 'on the street'

Last edited by lynnxa; Feb 1st 2010 at 8:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.