Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Stay away from Endesa they are horrendous to deal with.
Iberdrola have been no picnic either. its like a rock and a hard place. i moved from a country with hydro electricity and it was so cheap. i could leave my lights on all day and night and have everything plugged in and would pay a fraction of what one bill costs me here when i am in the dark most days
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:03 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB

I was not asking you for any opinion on my choice of pool versus yours, I was subjecting the length of pump time to anybody elses..
But thanks, I now also know what type of pool you don't like.
DSB.

You asked if you needed to run your pump for 4 hours - I answered your question.

I wasn't giving an opinion on your pool versus mine - just pointing out that salt pools can cost more to run.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
You asked if you needed to run your pump for 4 hours - I answered your question.

I wasn't giving an opinion on your pool versus mine - just pointing out that salt pools can cost more to run.
Ok. Sorry.
DSB.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received a bill (via my bank statement). In the period (Dec and Jan) the electricity was on for 4 days.
We are all electric and the bill for the period was 56 euros. The previous two bills were similar. I am not sure but I think there is a standing charge of 21 euros. This would suggest my daily consumption was just below 9 euros per day.
We used the washing machine and tumble dryer a couple of times as well as heating, cooking etc.
We have an old town house of 135m2 so if I lived in Spain permanently I would expect a monthly bill of around 270euros.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I would faint dead away if I got an electricity bill of 270€ for a month!

I have a 169 sq m old townhouse and my bill is never more than 35€ per month. We have an electric water heater (on a timer) and the usual appliances like kettle, microwave, fridge freezer, washing machine (always set to wash on cold), tumble drier (hardly ever needed), 3 TVs, 2 digiboxes on 24/7, 2 hi fi systems, hairdrier, electric heater in the bathroom and very occasionally electric heaters in the spare bedrooms for guests. We use gas for all our cooking and almost all our heating.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion but it might be easier if people also quoted their electricity consumption in units as well as in Euros.

That way it removes the variables such as the standing charge (which varies depending on the potencia) and other consideration like the dual tariffs.

That way you would be comparing real consumption figures.

It is shown on the bill as Consumo and is measured in KwH.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:43 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I would faint dead away if I got an electricity bill of 270€ for a month!

I have a 169 sq m old townhouse and my bill is never more than 35€ per month. We have an electric water heater (on a timer) and the usual appliances like kettle, microwave, fridge freezer, washing machine (always set to wash on cold), tumble drier (hardly ever needed), 3 TVs, 2 digiboxes on 24/7, 2 hi fi systems, hairdrier, electric heater in the bathroom and very occasionally electric heaters in the spare bedrooms for guests. We use gas for all our cooking and almost all our heating.
You're lucky, Lynn. Ours is normally billed at least €600 per billing period (€300 per month) and we use basically the same as you.

Our actual consumption always comes to less than half what they estimado, and to get to that number, we need only religiously take our meter readings and dispute every bill with those readings. It only takes a few hours to wait in the queue every 2 months. So, it's not horrible, but it's better than paying the full amount, since we save at least €300 with every billing period.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by amideislas
It only takes a few hours to wait in the queue every 2 months. So, it's not horrible, but it's better than paying the full amount, since we save at least €300 with every billing period.
A Few hours in line, every Month.... Wow.
I hear your saving as it were, but still, does it not simply "come back around anyway"...?

DSB.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:40 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
A Few hours in line, every Month.... Wow.
I hear your saving as it were, but still, does it not simply "come back around anyway"...?

DSB.
Endesa has a "policy" which relieves them from any obligation to refund or credit if the customer does not allow direct debit.

We were forced to cancel direct debit because Endesa was draining our bank account with their grossly over-inflated "estimado" facturas, so now, if we pay their inflated "estimado" facturas, we are not eligible for any credit or refund. Period. Apparently, this is legal. Our only choice is to dispute each one of them.

It's taken us literally years to get this all sorted (it does seem rather insane and unbelievable at first glance), but now we've learned how to get around it, and I'm quite relieved about that. The struggle was ridiculous, to put it lightly.

They still owe us nearly €2K (which they oddly admit to), but because we cancelled direct debit, they have no obligation to refund it. No surprise, they only admitted it after we cancelled direct debit - to encourage us to re-instate DD. Prior to that, they refused to admit it despite many requests for refunds, so I am under no illusions that they would even consider refunding it even if we reinstated DD.

Sigh. Live and learn.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:01 pm

Sigh. Live and learn.
Or change to another supplier but that would almost certainly mean you would never see the 2k.

We changed to Iberdrola after getting terminally p****d off with Endesa.

We never had any problems with bills - they were always correct but they drove us mad when we were forced to change to a free market supplier.

In comparison Iberdrola have been brilliant from day 1.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
Or change to another supplier but that would almost certainly mean you would never see the 2k.

We changed to Iberdrola after getting terminally p****d off with Endesa.

We never had any problems with bills - they were always correct but they drove us mad when we were forced to change to a free market supplier.

In comparison Iberdrola have been brilliant from day 1.
Thanks, Fred. We've already kissed the €2K goodbye, so that isn't a consideration anymore.

We are considering Iberdrola (although I expect it to be another nightmare in the process). One concern is that Iberdrola only has one office here (40Km away), so if hubby needs to visit it as often as he is forced to visit Endesa's local office, it will be even more inconvenient.

At the moment, we just want to get past the idiocy of our recent request (in November) to reduce our contract from 10.8Kw to 5Kw.

Like before, we have been assured by Endesa that the cost is only €10, and no "boletin" will be required. I've asked them at least 10 times to verify this will be the total cost and no boletin will be required (they are getting sick of hearing it).

Well, in January, I finally told them "OK, do it please", received and signed the documents, and what do you know? Last week we again received a demand for a "boletin" verifying the system is safe for this level of contract. So, like last time, we just had a professional engineer stamp a boletin (€300). I've just sent that in to Endesa, so we'll see what other surprises they'll have for me.

As other electricians have warned us, it's likely that we'll now receive a factura for several hundred euros for the "upgrade", and the new contract won't be enforced until we pay it. We shall see.

After that, we'll probably contact Iberdrola to negotiate the best plan.

We'll see... And thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:12 pm

At the moment, we just want to get past the idiocy of our recent request (in November) to reduce our contract from 10.8Kw to 5Kw. .
Normally any contract over 10kw is on a 3 phase supply. Are you on 3 phase as downgrading could be complicated?

What is the exact tariff that you are on? 3 phase would be tariff 2.1A or 2.1DHA if off peak. Single phase would be 2.0A or 2.0DHA.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:36 am
Just Joined

simonwilk70 is an unknown quantity at this point

how do i register online for my readings and bills?
Originally Posted by Michael74
Have been getting my bill online for sometime now but must admit I didn't know I could read and send them the meter reading every month. At the moment getting bills every two months.

Is there any particular time of the month that the readings should be sent in? I assume that we will still only be debited every two months
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonwilk70
how do i register online for my readings and bills?
Go to this site
http://www.iberdrola.es/webibd/corpo...AG=ENWEBINICIO

& click "Customers" & then click "online office" & you will see
"customer registration".