Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

karenj66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by DonQuixote
I have a electric meter reader fitted which show me what is being used per hour. The aircon working with 3 x rooms being heated works out at 0.34 per hour. If I run 3 x oil rads in the rooms the meter states 0.95 per hour

I have also a gas fire here 15 euro's per bottle and if I run that for 5 hours a day I get around 10 days = 2.15 euros a day

Aircon 3 x rooms running for 5 hours = 1.7 euros
Rads 3 x rooms = 4.7 euros
Gas fire x 1 room = 2.15

I will however add that the gas fire is much warmer and heats the room quickly.

I also have the duel meter fitted so get cheap eletric from 22:00hrs until 12:00hrs.

Hope that helps

The Don
Yes that does help - Thanks

I love my gas fire, but can only have it on during the evening, as we have a toddler. We have used aircon heat today and have been fine
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

DonQuixote is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenj66

I love my gas fire, but can only have it on during the evening, as we have a toddler. We have used aircon heat today and have been fine
If you get one of these ( hope I'm not breaking any rules here) http://www.eco-eye.com/products-elite.html

They will not post to Spain so you will need to get a family member in the UK to post it on to you.

Takes about 10 minutes to setup and then you can watch what draws all the power. We found ourselfs switching off things like the phone charger that was still drawing amps even when the phone was not attached!!!!

Regards Don
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Portable gas heaters may produce instant hot heat but are not a good idea they also produce gallons of water through the combustion process and in Spain that seems to be an instant invitation to black mold. There is also the chance of carbon monoxide (a very dangerous gas) may be produced if the heater has any problems.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

If you get one of these ( hope I'm not breaking any rules here) http://www.eco-eye.com/products-elite.html

They will not post to Spain so you will need to get a family member in the UK to post it on to you.

Takes about 10 minutes to setup and then you can watch what draws all the power. We found ourselfs switching off things like the phone charger that was still drawing amps even when the phone was not attached!!!!

Regards Don
So how does that work then? What do you plug it into?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Portable gas heaters may produce instant hot heat but are not a good idea they also produce gallons of water through the combustion process and in Spain that seems to be an instant invitation to black mold. There is also the chance of carbon monoxide (a very dangerous gas) may be produced if the heater has any problems.
Good point, but a well ventilated home can reduce this. I would also recommend getting a carbon monoxide alarm ( very cheap ) and well worth it

The Don
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

So how does that work then? What do you plug it into?
Download the instructions: http://www.eco-eye.com/instructions.html

Change settings to euros and enter the unit cost ( from your bill ) of electric and it's up and running. Remember it will not add the IVA!!!!

The Don
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, but a well ventilated home can reduce this. I would also recommend getting a carbon monoxide alarm ( very cheap ) and well worth it

The Don
I believe very much in good ventilation however people on tight budgets tend to see the production of expensive heat and then opening window as counter productive. Small hit and miss ventilators in the window head are the answer but but not easy to retrofit.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Any form of electric heating is expensive but aircon units are by far and away the cheapest method. To produce a given amount of heat, an aircon unit uses about a third of what an oil filled radiator uses.
As I said, it heats up the room tremendously quickly, but I, and others around here, have discovered that when we put our aircon on, the bill soar. With the radiators they are acceptable
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
Still related to costs Mitzy but as a matter of interest - do you leave your pool pump on during the winter months? I guess this might start another discussion so my apologies
Sorry, I missed this. We used to have our pump on for about 4 or 5 hours a day when we came here because thats what people told us we needed.

When I reduced it to 1.5 hours a day in the summer, and just an hour a day in the winter our bills dropped. It makes no difference to the water quality, and so I concluded that 5 hours a day was a complete waste of money
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As I said, it heats up the room tremendously quickly, but I, and others around here, have discovered that when we put our aircon on, the bill soar. With the radiators they are acceptable
Are your aircon units "Invertor" type they are the efficient ones. My thoughts on the use of our aircon (invertor)together with the log burner(fan assisted) are that the hot air rises to the ceiling and the units blow this warm air back down adding heat as reqd. to give the desired room temp. That is why I think they work well in combination.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I missed this. We used to have our pump on for about 4 or 5 hours a day when we came here because thats what people told us we needed.

When I reduced it to 1.5 hours a day in the summer, and just an hour a day in the winter our bills dropped. It makes no difference to the water quality, and so I concluded that 5 hours a day was a complete waste of money
We follow your advised pattern exactly however I guess the water quality depends on loading and most times there is just the 2 of swimming for about an hour each late afternoon.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Mine isn't a portable gas fire. It's a fire in a fireplace on mains gas
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Download the instructions: http://www.eco-eye.com/instructions.html

Change settings to euros and enter the unit cost ( from your bill ) of electric and it's up and running. Remember it will not add the IVA!!!!

The Don
Thanks. I'll look into that
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more. We run our pump for a maximum of 1.5 hours in summer and 15 minutes in winter.

Almost all the recommendations for 8 hours a day are based on health and safety rules for public or heavily used pools where "faecal incidences" are common - I will leave that to your imagination!

Sand filters can only remove particulate matter - they have no effect on "bugs" - the chlorine does that job. There is absolutely no point in pumping clear water through a very inefficient sand filter. The main reason for running the pump is the circulate the water so that the chemicals are evenly distributed and, if you put the chlorine tablets in the skimmers, to ensure that the right amount gets dissolved in the water - and that doesn't take 8 hours.

Running a pool pump - which often uses as much electricity as an electric kettle or small radiator, for 8 hours a day is a complete waste of power.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mine isn't a portable gas fire. It's a fire in a fireplace on mains gas
With "hot" flue gases going up the chimney, lots of heat there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.