Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:56 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by searcher48
Why not phone in your meter reading every month or enter online then you will not have problems. We have done this for about 5 years, first by phone then registered online and enter online for 2 years.
Endesa online does not support the entry of meter readings for peak and off-peak periods. You can only enter ONE reading, and if you are on a peak/off-peak contract, anything you enter will be rejected.

Also, Endesaonline is designed to be used ONLY with certain versions of windows running certain versions of internet explorer. It crashes if you use a Mac or any other browser. Yet anything published on your account in Endesaonline (including facturas, critical notifications, etc) are still legally binding, even if you are completely unable to use it.

Naturally, there is no notification of this anywhere on the website, you are left to figure it out on your own. We have Macs here. We aren't prepared to purchase a PC so that Endesaonline will function.

Phone in? Well, it's quite a bit more reliable to visit the local Endesa office. This way, you actually get someone face to face (after at least an hour in the queue), and leave with a paper proving that the meter readings have been entered. Otherwise they are likely to be ignored.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by amideislas
Endesa online does not support the entry of meter readings for peak and off-peak periods. You can only enter ONE reading, and if you are on a peak/off-peak contract, anything you enter will be rejected.

Also, Endesaonline is designed to be used ONLY with certain versions of windows running certain versions of internet explorer. It crashes if you use a Mac or any other browser. Yet anything published on your account in Endesaonline (including facturas, critical notifications, etc) are still legally binding, even if you are completely unable to use it.

Naturally, there is no notification of this anywhere on the website, you are left to figure it out on your own. We have Macs here. We aren't prepared to purchase a PC so that Endesaonline will function.

Phone in? Well, it's quite a bit more reliable to visit the local Endesa office. This way, you actually get someone face to face (after at least an hour in the queue), and leave with a paper proving that the meter readings have been entered. Otherwise they are likely to be ignored.
In the Ayamonte office of Endesa (a franchise) they are not able to enter the dual meter reading online and either type it in on the comments section or ring thro to Barcelona who treat them just as rudely as us but they have the advantage of speaking rapid Spanish back to Barcelona.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Strangely I stopped using the skimmer for the chlorine as well, its in a plastic "flying saucer" anchored to one corner of the pool, and its worked fine :-)
I have a very large quantity of water in my salt pool, and I've been told I have to run my pump for 4 hours every day. 46 cubic meters.

True ?

DSB.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
I have a very large quantity of water in my salt pool, and I've been told I have to run my pump for 4 hours every day. 46 cubic meters.

True ?

DSB.
Ive no idea of the differences in needs for salt and chlorine pools. All I can tell you is that when we came we were told by a pool "expert" that the longer we left our pool pump running the better as without it we would have all kinds of problems

In fact the water used to need all kinds of chemicals at that time because the water ph used to change drastically. Now, it doesnt. I chuck an anti algae in during the spring when it starts to get warmer, and floculente now and again, and thats about it
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB

True ?

DSB.
Probably.

Salt pools use a special device called an ioniser which converts the salt to chlorine. To do that requires that the water is circulating through the ioniser. The length of time it does that determines the level of chlorine it produces so clearly you must run it for a significant time to get the levels right - if you don't then there won't be enough chlorine in the water and it will go green like any other pool without chlorine.

Personally I wouldn't ever consider a salt pool for that reason. The end result is not a chlorine free pool - quite the opposite and you have to run the pump for an excessive amount which is the real hidden cost.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

I'm horrified by some of these figures coming up. Unless you have a mansion you cant be using that much electricity based on what you have said.
As I said above, try turning your power off at the fuse box, and then go look at the meter to see if it has stopped. If it hasnt, then you may be feeding someone elses electricity :-)

As stated, I am running oil radiators, cooker, plasma tv, two computers, pool pump, coffee machine (never off!) bathroom heater, electric blanket, and my bills are a fraction of what you are quoting. Three bed two storey villa, although tbh we tend to heat the upstairs only in the winter
no sadly I do not live in a mansion. we live in an upstairs of a casa de pueblo. it is not very big at all. we run 2 computers, projector, xbox periodically, dishwasher, oven, washing machine, an alarm clock , a nightlight for my son at bedtime and a fridge. we rarely have the lights on at night to try and conserve. our water and and cooktop are gas. the only thing on a majority of the time is our 2 computers and the fridge but we try and shut computers off if we wont be using them for a time period.

i just dont get how we use so much. the last month or so we have been using those little space heaters and I am told they suck electricity and we have had them on quite a bit with the cold weather and having a 2 year old i dont want him to be cold. we just got a butane space heater so we dont use electricity.

we have shut off the fuse box and the meter does stop, Iberdrola told us to do that like a year ago and we have checked it a number of times since. i think that maybe somewhere in the house electricity is running somehow and making our bills high. we got all the wiring done but we think it was a crappy job, i dont know if this is possible . its just a theory.
we have a friend here who runs a computer business from and he has 4 computers a laptop running 24/7 plus random computers when he fixes them and all the other appliances in his house and pays like 50-80 a month . i dont get it.

we are not on dual tariff
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
no sadly I do not live in a mansion. we live in an upstairs of a casa de pueblo. it is not very big at all. we run 2 computers, projector, xbox periodically, dishwasher, oven, washing machine, an alarm clock , a nightlight for my son at bedtime and a fridge. we rarely have the lights on at night to try and conserve. our water and and cooktop are gas. the only thing on a majority of the time is our 2 computers and the fridge but we try and shut computers off if we wont be using them for a time period.

i just dont get how we use so much. the last month or so we have been using those little space heaters and I am told they suck electricity and we have had them on quite a bit with the cold weather and having a 2 year old i dont want him to be cold. we just got a butane space heater so we dont use electricity.

we have shut off the fuse box and the meter does stop, Iberdrola told us to do that like a year ago and we have checked it a number of times since. i think that maybe somewhere in the house electricity is running somehow and making our bills high. we got all the wiring done but we think it was a crappy job, i dont know if this is possible . its just a theory.
we have a friend here who runs a computer business from and he has 4 computers a laptop running 24/7 plus random computers when he fixes them and all the other appliances in his house and pays like 50-80 a month . i dont get it.

we are not on dual tariff
So ... your next mission .. so you can tell whats doing this ... is to switch absolutely everything in the house off and get someone to stand by the meter. Then go around the house turning individual things on and off and see what spins the wheel. You'll probably find the oven and the water heater make it spin!

I just thought by the way, when we came here originally we left the water heater on all the time because we were told that it didnt use that much electricity. Now we have it on for a few hours in the morning, an hour at lunch time, and an hour in the evening. The bills dropped when we did that.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

no sadly I do not live in a mansion. we live in an upstairs of a casa de pueblo. it is not very big at all.
That could be your problem....are you absolutely sure that you are not paying for the electricity for the downstairs part of the casa....?

You wouldn't be the first person to be caught out that way, especially if it's a rented property!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

So ... your next mission .. so you can tell whats doing this ... is to switch absolutely everything in the house off and get someone to stand by the meter. Then go around the house turning individual things on and off and see what spins the wheel. You'll probably find the oven and the water heater make it spin!

I just thought by the way, when we came here originally we left the water heater on all the time because we were told that it didnt use that much electricity. Now we have it on for a few hours in the morning, an hour at lunch time, and an hour in the evening. The bills dropped when we did that.
my water is gas so i know its not that. i dont use the oven very often cause it is electric and try to cook everything on the gas cooktop when possible. i think maybe the space heaters have been raking up my bills.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by megmet
That could be your problem....are you absolutely sure that you are not paying for the electricity for the downstairs part of the casa....?

You wouldn't be the first person to be caught out that way, especially if it's a rented property!
I know my downstairs neighbour as she has been there for like 20 some odd years and a friend of the family. i know she gets her own bills.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:56 pm
Senior Moment

my water is gas so i know its not that. i dont use the oven very often cause it is electric and try to cook everything on the gas cooktop when possible. i think maybe the space heaters have been raking up my bills.
No water and no cooking, then that makes it even more ridiculous.
As I said, turn everything off and then turn on one of the heaters and see what happens
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

No water and no cooking, then that makes it even more ridiculous.
As I said, turn everything off and then turn on one of the heaters and see what happens
i know. its been mental. we changed our wiring in april 2010 when we moved in the house and it took almost 7 months to have power in my house cause Iberdrola kept rejecting the electrical work, and the box we had and so many other issues. (yes we lived in a house with no power for 7 months with a newborn baby) and then once it was all hooked up and many costs incurred later, they sent us a 700 euro bill. we used the heat so i guess it was why we were charge so much and been raped every month since.....
the only reason we started paying a bit less is we changed our consumption rate thing and went down to 3.5 so the electricity trips more now but it cut down so instead of 600-700 we were at 270-400 bills. still insanity.

i will try and turn off everything and plug in one appliance one by one and see how it goes. and i will start every month tracking. would changing to a new company be of any benefit? i went onto endesa's page and they have a calculator you can see how much you would pay for the usage you used with another company but it is not easy to enter in the info. i think they make it complicated on purpose....

Last edited by fadingstarlight; Feb 17th 2012 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

i know. its been mental. we changed our wiring in april 2010 when we moved in the house and it took almost 7 months to have power in my house cause Iberdrola kept rejecting the electrical work, and the box we had and so many other issues. (yes we lived in a house with no power for 7 months with a newborn baby) and then once it was all hooked up and many costs incurred later, they sent us a 700 euro bill. we used the heat so i guess it was why we were charge so much and been raped every month since.....
the only reason we started paying a bit less is we changed our consumption rate thing and went down to 3.5 so the electricity trips more now but it cut down so instead of 600-700 we were at 270-400 bills. still insanity.

i will try and turn off everything and plug in one appliance one by one and see how it goes. and i will start every month tracking. would changing to a new company be of any benefit? i went onto endesa's page and they have a calculator you can see how much you would pay for the usage you used with another company but it is not easy to enter in the info. i think they make it complicated on purpose....
Stay away from Endesa they are horrendous to deal with.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Probably.

Salt pools use a special device called an ioniser which converts the salt to chlorine. To do that requires that the water is circulating through the ioniser. The length of time it does that determines the level of chlorine it produces so clearly you must run it for a significant time to get the levels right - if you don't then there won't be enough chlorine in the water and it will go green like any other pool without chlorine.

Personally I wouldn't ever consider a salt pool for that reason. The end result is not a chlorine free pool - quite the opposite and you have to run the pump for an excessive amount which is the real hidden cost.
I understand the principle of the salt pool, kind of did that prior to installation. I do not have a 'clorine free pool' as you call them, it was called a 'salt water pool'. However, I like the fact that it does not smell, or I, of chlorine.

I was not asking you for any opinion on my choice of pool versus yours, I was subjecting the length of pump time to anybody elses..
But thanks, I now also know what type of pool you don't like.
DSB.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ive no idea of the differences in needs for salt and chlorine pools. All I can tell you is that when we came we were told by a pool "expert" that the longer we left our pool pump running the better as without it we would have all kinds of problems

In fact the water used to need all kinds of chemicals at that time because the water ph used to change drastically. Now, it doesnt. I chuck an anti algae in during the spring when it starts to get warmer, and floculente now and again, and thats about it
Thanks - Seems the case like me, then.
DSB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.