Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Electricity Bills to Change Again

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

Originally Posted by searcher48
On my meter it comes up with: date: time: then one reading: then the other.
(I think first is on peak, second off).
I enter first reading in box 1 second in box 2 leave & box 3 empty
Thats how my meter shows the readings, and have you had bills that show your readings are in the correct boxes. i.e Night and Day as it shows on the bill?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
That's great Mitzy, followed that but there are three boxes for the meter readings, as I have dual tariff any idea which boxes are for Off peak/Peak
Well I only have one meter and one tariff, so I have been putting it in box 1. I suspect it will just be a case of box 1 & 2 for you. However if you email them asking, they usually come back with an answer in less than 2 days!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well I only have one meter and one tariff, so I have been putting it in box 1. I suspect it will just be a case of box 1 & 2 for you. However if you email them asking, they usually come back with an answer in less than 2 days!
Hopefully !! Took them 3 months (R) 3 months to get me on two part tariff after incessant emails and phone calls, eventually spoke to someone in Madrid and the engineer changed the meter the next day. Thanks for info anyway Mitzy
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Thats how my meter shows the readings, and have you had bills that show your readings are in the correct boxes. i.e Night and Day as it shows on the bill?
yes it all works the same when the meter man comes every 3 months or so. I have been entering for the last 2 years.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

karenj66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone found the money they are paying for electric has gone up since they changed to the night and day tariff with Iberdrola?

We changed in October and our bills have increased by quite alot. We put the dishwasher on when we go to bed, do all our laundry in the mornings, aswell as our cleaning, showers etc and use as little as possible during the day. So technically, we are using most of our electricity in the off peak hours. So why is it more expensive than on the other tariff?

I know it's winter and we are using more electric for heat etc, but it still doesnt seem right. Iberdrola say the readings are correct. The bill we just got today was over 280 euros for 2 months and that is with being in the UK for 10 days over christmas.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karenj66
Has anyone found the money they are paying for electric has gone up since they changed to the night and day tariff with Iberdrola?

We changed in October and our bills have increased by quite alot. We put the dishwasher on when we go to bed, do all our laundry in the mornings, aswell as our cleaning, showers etc and use as little as possible during the day. So technically, we are using most of our electricity in the off peak hours. So why is it more expensive than on the other tariff?

I know it's winter and we are using more electric for heat etc, but it still doesnt seem right. Iberdrola say the readings are correct. The bill we just got today was over 280 euros for 2 months and that is with being in the UK for 10 days over christmas.
Don't understand why your bills should have increased like that. My two part tariff meter was fitted on 15th May 2011 and I have just done a comparison check of before and after the meter was fitted.

From 06/08/2010 to 06/10/2010 the total cost inc all taxes etc was €220.52
From 10/08/2011 to 05/10/2011 the total cost inc all taxes etc was €129.77

My day rate per €/Kwh is 0.168965 and my night rate is €0.060407 which is fixed until June 2013
Like you, dishwasher,washing machine etc are used during the off peak period about the only appliance used during the peak period is the oven although we do have a small table top oven (from Lidl) that is used when possible using less power than the big one.

I would check your meter after turning everything off and if necessary take readings and phone them through every month or two months to your supplier. From what I understand if it is a two month bill they are not allowed to use estimates but I may stand corrected on that
Old Feb 4th 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Don't understand why your bills should have increased like that. My two part tariff meter was fitted on 15th May 2011 and I have just done a comparison check of before and after the meter was fitted.

From 06/08/2010 to 06/10/2010 the total cost inc all taxes etc was €220.52
From 10/08/2011 to 05/10/2011 the total cost inc all taxes etc was €129.77

My day rate per €/Kwh is 0.168965 and my night rate is €0.060407 which is fixed until June 2013
Like you, dishwasher,washing machine etc are used during the off peak period about the only appliance used during the peak period is the oven although we do have a small table top oven (from Lidl) that is used when possible using less power than the big one.

I would check your meter after turning everything off and if necessary take readings and phone them through every month or two months to your supplier. From what I understand if it is a two month bill they are not allowed to use estimates but I may stand corrected on that
Hi,

no I'm not sure why it is so expensive either. We have been using oil filled radiators for heat when needed and putting the gas fire on when our toddler has gone to bed. We are going to try it for a month just using the heat via the aircon unit and gas fire instead, to see if it makes any difference. It may be the radiators using alot.

We switched off the main electricity yesterday and there was no power to our meter, so that appears ok.

Our rate is 0.190108 and 0.201926 for the day and 0.070452 and 0.077209 for the night. Our contract says it is 7c and 19c, Iberdrola state the have put up the price of electricity since we signed our contract in October, hence the 2 rates on each tariff.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

no I'm not sure why it is so expensive either. We have been using oil filled radiators for heat when needed and putting the gas fire on when our toddler has gone to bed. We are going to try it for a month just using the heat via the aircon unit and gas fire instead, to see if it makes any difference. It may be the radiators using alot.

We switched off the main electricity yesterday and there was no power to our meter, so that appears ok.

Our rate is 0.190108 and 0.201926 for the day and 0.070452 and 0.077209 for the night. Our contract says it is 7c and 19c, Iberdrola state the have put up the price of electricity since we signed our contract in October, hence the 2 rates on each tariff.
I would imagine oil radiators that do use electricity are probably expensive to run. We have blown hot air heating which to be honest we very rarely switch on as it costs megabucks to run. We tend to use portable gas heaters which for us gives enough warmth. We also converted from heating water by electricity to fitting a gas water heater on 23rd Nov. 2011. and this would have a bearing on our electricity cost. From July 27th 2011 until this week gas costs work out to €8.67 per week with gas costing €15.10 per cylinder.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice

Sorry to interject but I am curious to ask, my research shows that utilities in Spain are far cheaper than utilities in the UK, Is this true?

Last edited by NickFX; Feb 4th 2012 at 11:39 am.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickFX
Sorry to interject but I am curious to ask, my research shows that utilities in Spain are far cheaper than utilities in the UK? Is this true?
Can't answer that one I'm afraid having lived here for eight years now but no doubt someone will come up with the answer.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

I would imagine oil radiators that do use electricity are probably expensive to run. We have blown hot air heating which to be honest we very rarely switch on as it costs megabucks to run. We tend to use portable gas heaters which for us gives enough warmth. We also converted from heating water by electricity to fitting a gas water heater on 23rd Nov. 2011. and this would have a bearing on our electricity cost. From July 27th 2011 until this week gas costs work out to €8.67 per week with gas costing €15.10 per cylinder.
Our combi boiler is gas, so we can't change that. We cannot use portable gas heaters due to having a toddler. So I guess we will just have to see how this month goes and take it from their.

Thanks for your replies
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Sorry to interject but I am curious to ask, my research shows that utilities in Spain are far cheaper than utilities in the UK, Is this true?
I'm not sure, but we seem to be spending more on gas and electric here than we did on a much larger property in England, with heating on all day in the winter. I don't think our water bills are that cheap either. However, we are not paying £2,500 per year on council tax that we paid in England, so that is a definite bonus
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I use oil fired radiators all day long and our bill in winter months is around €100 or thereabouts. Its acceptable

You mentioned aircon for heat. There you go then ..... an incredibly expensive way of heating your house. Its not your radiators ..... unless of course you have loads of them, we use just two and we dont have gas so everything is electric here apart from the log fire which we use on cold nights
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

I think you will find that electricity is more expensive than the UK. We paid £60 a month in 2006, so round that up with increases. Here we pay between €60 ish and € 100 to €120 ish a month, obviously depending on the time of year. Water is cheaper than way paid in the UK, and we have a pool here so that uses more in the sumemer than we would have used in the UK

Council tax in the UK was £1500 iirc, wheras we pay about €400 here
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Bills to Change Again

From what I understand if it is a two month bill they are not allowed to use estimates but I may stand corrected on that
That is my understanding of the law in this area however we have yet to have 6 readings that are correct in the year and we have to read the meter every 2 months to keep a check on Endesa. They seem to think our bank account is their piggy bank to raid when they want some treat or other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.