British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

timmyf Sep 12th 2015 7:47 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

For cider lovers there's a bar on av Pierre cibie ( tree lined St ) that sells fruity spanish cider it's at the east end of the street and run by an ex Argentinian footballer very nice bar , can't remember it's name but will post when I do , not far from the London bar

Mark604 Sep 12th 2015 8:51 pm

Does anyone actually go in the London Bar? I presume so but whenever I walk past it's always about empty.

timmyf Sep 13th 2015 4:56 am

It's more of a late venue

Nicola brown Sep 14th 2015 8:24 pm

We will be heading off to Martos a week tomorrow and returning on 3rd October. Hopefully our paths will cross again eventually Tim, a ride would have been great!!! Whilst we're in Martos, thinking of taking a trip to Seville, and stay a few days. However it seems a little difficult getting to Jaen early enough to get the 6.30 am train. The earliest bus from Martos is 7'ish!! Any ideas anyone? I have seen taxis by Martos bus station, but not every day!!! There are later trains, but there are changes and some take ages! Obviously trying to make the most of the time there! Also is there a Garden centre in or around Martos, and any place that sells garden furniture? Cheers for the help

Nicola brown Sep 14th 2015 8:26 pm

The Cider Bar sounds promising!

Saigonjack Sep 15th 2015 5:12 am

Nicola ..check out bla bla car ...I used the ride share from Jaen to Granada, and aslo from Malaga to Duquessa...both rides were with nice people...and enjoyable conversations and of course a cheaper price. ALL drivers and passengers have to sign up and usually using FB details then its easy to see who you are travelling with. I will be back in November to Spain and Martos and will use the ride share again...I also found a lot of people leaving or going to Martos from many places in the south..check it out ..

timmyf Sep 15th 2015 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11748500)
We will be heading off to Martos a week tomorrow and returning on 3rd October. Hopefully our paths will cross again eventually Tim, a ride would have been great!!! Whilst we're in Martos, thinking of taking a trip to Seville, and stay a few days. However it seems a little difficult getting to Jaen early enough to get the 6.30 am train. The earliest bus from Martos is 7'ish!! Any ideas anyone? I have seen taxis by Martos bus station, but not every day!!! There are later trains, but there are changes and some take ages! Obviously trying to make the most of the time there! Also is there a Garden centre in or around Martos, and any place that sells garden furniture? Cheers for the help

Firstly you can book a taxi there is a company in Martos just google Martos taxis I know someone who came from the coast in one , and you can buy furniture from big mat builders merchants or look at the carrefour website and get them to deliver it that's easier

Nicola brown Sep 15th 2015 5:25 pm

Cheers for all the help guys, will take a look!

Rokelly Oct 20th 2015 9:07 pm

Hi there, Myself and my husband will be in Martos in a week to look at a house, we're excited to visit the town and to spend time in Jaen also. I'm wondering does anyone know of a good real estate lawyer in Jaen or ideally Martos (english speaker preferably) also does anyone know of a contractor or surveyor? I'm hoping the house is in good condition but its best to have it looked at. Nicole Brown, I'd love to get in contact with you, are you by chance Irish?

Cheers thanks! would appreciate any help/advice on these matters :)

timmyf Oct 21st 2015 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Rokelly (Post 11775879)
Hi there, Myself and my husband will be in Martos in a week to look at a house, we're excited to visit the town and to spend time in Jaen also. I'm wondering does anyone know of a good real estate lawyer in Jaen or ideally Martos (english speaker preferably) also does anyone know of a contractor or surveyor? I'm hoping the house is in good condition but its best to have it looked at. Nicole Brown, I'd love to get in contact with you, are you

[email protected] she's a very good English speaking lawyer but she's not in Martos , I also have a number for a good Moroccan builder if you're interested but he doesn't speak English

Rosemary Oct 21st 2015 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Rokelly (Post 11775879)
Hi there, Myself and my husband will be in Martos in a week to look at a house, we're excited to visit the town and to spend time in Jaen also. I'm wondering does anyone know of a good real estate lawyer in Jaen or ideally Martos (english speaker preferably) also does anyone know of a contractor or surveyor? I'm hoping the house is in good condition but its best to have it looked at. Nicole Brown, I'd love to get in contact with you, are you by chance Irish?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Nicola brown Oct 21st 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Roklly
Nicola here from Devon, Britain. Not Ireland I'm afraid!!! How are you? Nice to hear your thinking of investing in Martos. I'm sure you will like it there. I used Undiscovered Spain(Derryl and Diego) when I bought my house. Diego acts on your behalf. They were both great and totally trustworthy. I didn't get a surveyor, although Derryl said I could use one if I wished . However it's all extra money and my town house is over 100 years old, and very solid, so I took a chance! I guess it depends on the property! So far so good! If I can help in anyway just ask away. I'm sure someone on this site will be able to answer most of your questions. I find it very helpful, good luck!

Rokelly Oct 21st 2015 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 11776134)
[email protected] she's a very good English speaking lawyer but she's not in Martos , I also have a number for a good Moroccan builder if you're interested but he doesn't speak English

Thanks very much Timmy! That helps a lot! Do you think the Moroccan builder would be good at giving the house a look over and making sure the roof and everything is ok?

Rokelly Oct 21st 2015 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11776759)
Hi Roklly
Nicola here from Devon, Britain. Not Ireland I'm afraid!!! How are you? Nice to hear your thinking of investing in Martos. I'm sure you will like it there. I used Undiscovered Spain(Derryl and Diego) when I bought my house. Diego acts on your behalf. They were both great and totally trustworthy. I didn't get a surveyor, although Derryl said I could use one if I wished . However it's all extra money and my town house is over 100 years old, and very solid, so I took a chance! I guess it depends on the property! So far so good! If I can help in anyway just ask away. I'm sure someone on this site will be able to answer most of your questions. I find it very helpful, good luck!

Thanks very much Nicole! Greatly appreciate all your advice, maybe I'll contact Derryl and Diego and see if they can help with purchasing the house and the contract etc. We still haven't gotten our NIE number and hope to be able to get one once there, do you know anything about that NIE number process by any chance? Cheers!

Rokelly Oct 21st 2015 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 11776170)
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

Thank you!!

timmyf Oct 22nd 2015 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Rokelly (Post 11776807)
Thanks very much Timmy! That helps a lot! Do you think the Moroccan builder would be good at giving the house a look over and making sure the roof and everything is ok?

Yes im sure he would he only speaks spanish And morrocan but can speak to him on your be half if You want or i can give You his númber

timmyf Oct 22nd 2015 6:41 am

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 11776941)
Yes im sure he would he only speaks spanish And morrocan but can speak to him on your be half if You want or i can give You his númber

When aré You over , And what street You looking to buy on i will send You a prívate Message

Nicola brown Oct 22nd 2015 9:04 pm

Hi, I'm afraid Mohammed(Morrocan builder) is t available at present! Well he wasn't 3 weeks ago. I was told by Derryl/Diego he's been involved in an accident?? Another guy who worked alongside Mohammad has replaced him for now. This guy and Diego came to visit me to give a quote on rewiring my house. U fortunately I have still not received a price!! Mohammad, the previous builder made a great job of my terrace, so maybe he'll be back!

Rokelly Oct 23rd 2015 1:20 am

Oh no, I hope he's ok. Thanks for that info, Nicole... perhaps I don't need a surveyor, the house seems to be in good condition. Timmy, appreciate your advise and recommendations - I emailed Maria... hopefully shell get back to me soon. Really need an english speaking lawyer as we don't speak much Spanish but we're in the midst of learning and taking lessons. Anybody know if the NIE number is needed in the beginning stage of buying a house, we still need to get ours and we plan to pay a deposit next week. Timmy I will private message you now. Thank you both!

timmyf Oct 23rd 2015 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Rokelly (Post 11777567)
Oh no, I hope he's ok. Thanks for that info, Nicole... perhaps I don't need a surveyor, the house seems to be in good condition. Timmy, appreciate your advise and recommendations - I emailed Maria... hopefully shell get back to me soon. Really need an english speaking lawyer as we don't speak much Spanish but we're in the midst of learning and taking lessons. Anybody know if the NIE number is needed in the beginning stage of buying a house, we still need to get ours and we plan to pay a deposit next week. Timmy I will private message you now. Thank you both!

I use bilal that's Mohamed's brother he's ok I spoke to him yesterday

wicklowjack Nov 5th 2015 9:12 pm

hi all i am going to mantos on the 16th for a week hope to buy a property to rent out at first . being from ireland and being really hard hit from the recession. i was wondering if i could ask a few questions here. has anyone ever rented out there home in martos, what are the taxes to pay any problems renting there. i will rent for the first year or two i hope and move there to live after

timmyf Nov 5th 2015 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by wicklowjack (Post 11787299)
hi all i am going to mantos on the 16th for a week hope to buy a property to rent out at first . being from ireland and being really hard hit from the recession. i was wondering if i could ask a few questions here. has anyone ever rented out there home in martos, what are the taxes to pay any problems renting there. i will rent for the first year or two i hope and move there to live after

the only problem I have found is finding a tennant after a year

Rosemary Nov 6th 2015 5:24 am

Originally Posted by wicklowjack (Post 11787299)

Rosemary

Nicola brown Nov 23rd 2015 9:20 pm

Hi everyone off to Martos this Sunday for a quick check up on house before the colder months set in. Think I might get lucky with the weather, it seems to be quite warm again from next weekend, fingers crossed!!!! Happy to meet up for vino/ coffee if anyone around x

timmyf Nov 24th 2015 7:13 am

Not going back until the new year Nicola prob feb i was chatting to my mate last night And although They have sun in the day time its cold at night he says it will drop to 2 grado this week so get yourself a heater 😬

timmyf Nov 24th 2015 7:16 am

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 11801344)
Not going back until the new year Nicola prob feb i was chatting to my mate last night And although They have sun in the day time its cold at night he says it will drop to 2 grado this week so get yourself a heater 😬

I have booked for Easter for 2 weeks Now flybe aré flying out of doncaster in the new year And reasonable prices as well I'm on the countdown now to retirement and the big move to Martos

Nicola brown Dec 8th 2015 9:20 pm

Hi all, back from Martos, and lots achieved! Weather very pleasant, and warmer than I expected, bonus!!!! Unfortunately still no quote for retwiring of house! Was wondering if anyone else has had their house rewired? The electrics work, but very low voltage so use a booster that was already in the house. Also how much does it cost to have an Internet connection? Hi Tim can you help here, I think you've had this installed and I think you said it was quite expensive? What about the monthly cost? Cheers thanks for all your help!

Nicola brown Dec 8th 2015 9:44 pm

Hi all back from Martos, lots achieved and lovely warm weather. Did use a heater a little at night though! Still no news on the retwiring oh house though, no idea why!!! Anyone else had their house rewired? Also could do with some advice on installing the Internet and costs. Cheers

timmyf Dec 9th 2015 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11810551)
Hi all back from Martos, lots achieved and lovely warm weather. Did use a heater a little at night though! Still no news on the retwiring oh house though, no idea why!!! Anyone else had their house rewired? Also could do with some advice on installing the Internet and costs. Cheers

Dont know about re wiring but i had internet installed in the summer With telitec quite expensive around 50 euro a month but get 120 mins of free calls to any landline in the in eu a month

Nicola brown Dec 9th 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Tim thanks for that, I'll have to give it some thought. Another question, does anyone know if you can get wood for decking anywhere in or near Martos? Thinking of decking part of the garden! Cheers

timmyf Dec 10th 2015 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11811309)
Hi Tim thanks for that, I'll have to give it some thought. Another question, does anyone know if you can get wood for decking anywhere in or near Martos? Thinking of decking part of the garden! Cheers

Theres a wood merchant on the way to Jaén on the side of the dual carrageway not sure if They do decking tho if not brico st Granada dont know how well decking would cope With the summer sun

Nicola brown Jan 7th 2016 9:30 pm

Hi everyone
Happy New Year. My son is hoping to go to Martos to do a little work on our house there, and was wondering how to go about ordering a small skip. I know Mohammad had one whilst building terrace, but no idea where from? Also are they available immidiately or do you gave to wait for one to become available? And price of course?? Cheers for help Nicola x

timmyf Jan 8th 2016 7:50 am

Bit mat have the skips but remember if your having it on the street You need to get a permit from the council

Nicola brown Jan 8th 2016 8:13 pm

Hi Tim
I never realised you had to get a permit. Yes it would be on the road, although a 'no entry' road! Where do you have to go to get the permit, or do you apply through the builders yard to the council? Is it expensive like this country? I'm beginning to think this should be timmyf' expat forum � ���� !!!!

timmyf Jan 8th 2016 8:19 pm

In the planning office normally if you get rid of it in a day , nobody bothers ,the planning office is not far from you on calle delores Torres on the hill near to the pretty roundabout with the flowers , the building as flags outside , don't think it's expensive , but not sure how much never used one buried mine under my patio , over jan 27 th so il find out

Nicola brown Jan 9th 2016 9:35 pm

Yes I know where you mean, I've passed the building with the flags many times! We would only need it for the day, it's just remaining rubble from the new terrace and the levelling out of the garden. Think plenty of rubble already gone under both terraces, and run out if places to hide any more!!!! Much appreciated if you can find out rough price. Earliest my son will be going is March, and myself not until early April. Enjoy your visit in Jan, no sun tan lotion needed this time ay!!!! Cheers

timmyf Jan 10th 2016 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11832856)
Yes I know where you mean, I've passed the building with the flags many times! We would only need it for the day, it's just remaining rubble from the new terrace and the levelling out of the garden. Think plenty of rubble already gone under both terraces, and run out if places to hide any more!!!! Much appreciated if you can find out rough price. Earliest my son will be going is March, and myself not until early April. Enjoy your visit in Jan, no sun tan lotion needed this time ay!!!! Cheers

No its quite cold im off for 4 days on My own to sort out our rental but back at Easter for 2 weeks real nice time to visit , short week in may , then 3 weeks in August , Nothing else planes yet , apart from the big move in dec 2018

Nicola brown Jan 10th 2016 7:50 pm

Looking at the temperature at the moment and next week, doesn't look too bad at all actually! Do you know if there's anywhere to rent a car in Martos? If not, maybe Jaen. My son and his girlfriend debating wether to drive or fly when they visit next. Obviously because they are planning to stay for a few months a car would be quite beneficial, but because they are planning to work whilst there(both self employed) and will only be out and about at weekends, wondering if better to rent. I've rented from Malaga a few times, but obviously too far from Martos. Yes end March/April very pleasant, I also found September there lovely temperature. Not long until you leave the good old UK then!

Nicola brown Jan 10th 2016 8:05 pm

i didn't realise you were renting your property out. Derryl mentioned that when I bought mine. How's thT going then?

timmyf Jan 11th 2016 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11833510)
i didn't realise you were renting your property out. Derryl mentioned that when I bought mine. How's thT going then?

There aré plenty of Car rentals in Jaén not sure where though think if You Google it youl find one , better off With cargest at Málaga v good prices or economy Car hire , i have 2 houses there renting My old one out to a local i advertísed it on milanocious And piso . Com And was inundated With calls just had to pick somebody who was working