British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

Amanda1967 Mar 24th 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi All in Martos and near by (Im in Monte Lope Alvarez). Would love to hear about local things to do and nearby places to visit on/off the beaten track. Lovely castle in Alcala la Real if you haven't yet been. Cheap entry - I take all friends/family there when they visit. :) Next trip to Spain at Easter woop woop

Rosemary Mar 24th 2014 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11188094)
Hi All in Martos and near by (Im in Monte Lope Alvarez). Would love to hear about local things to do and nearby places to visit on/off the beaten track. Lovely castle in Alcala la Real if you haven't yet been. Cheap entry - I take all friends/family there when they visit. :) Next trip to Spain at Easter woop woop

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

timmyf Mar 24th 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11188086)
Hi timmyf, I have a house in Monte Lope Alverez and get out to it a couple of times a year. I could do with some advice on the walls! As its shut up for most of the year I find that I need to keep painting some of the walls inside and the following year its a pile of dust on the floor again - one room I cant even get a second coat to stick. I have tried sealing the walls with various and using damp/mould free paint etc. Martos is 10 mins drive and a lovely town for all our shopping needs but my Spanish isn't the best - I do try :) but cant find anything over there to cure it. The house is over 100 years old in Calle Granada. Do you think that once I can spend more time there and can air the property a bit more it will get better? Thanks in advance. Oh and that chinese restaurant mmmmmmm lovely. Jaen a great place too

Yes most definitely possibly could do with an air brick or some sort of ventilation I have some patches like that in mine , could try a good pva mixed with water then paint it on but I would say its lack of ventilation more likely , I'm over 30th march with my mate finishing my patio if your there drop us a mail

Pandyst Jun 3rd 2014 7:49 am

Hello , just a quick message to say , myself and my wife have bought a house in martos also , and we were wondering just how many expats there are living in Martos , Im a Vw mecanic , and my wife is a qualified nail tech. and we looking to find some groups etc , cheers

Amanda1967 Jun 3rd 2014 8:42 am

Hello pandyst,
I don't live in Spain permanently and I don't have a house in Martos but I have a holiday home in Monte Lope Alvarez 10 mins up the road. Martos is our nearest town so we visit often while we are there on holiday. One day I will get all the way up to that ruin on the top of the hill :fingerscrossed:
Are you in Martos permanently? Have you both set up business there?
We do sometimes drive over and have a VW so handy to know where to come. :)

Pandyst Jun 3rd 2014 9:18 am

Hiya we are moving out permantly in August

Amanda1967 Jun 3rd 2014 9:31 am

Wow best of luck. Soooo jealous!! :) Would love to know how you get on living there permanently so do post the details on here how its going. We hope to take early retirement eventually (still too young with mortgage to pay) so we can spend more time there. Out there next in September - cant wait. Lovely place and people. My Spanish neighbour and her family are lovely but would be nice to meet some expats so if you and your wife meet/make a group then interested in joining. There are a few expats in our village but they seem to keep themselves to themselves. Do you have friends/family there already?

Rosemary Jun 3rd 2014 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Pandyst (Post 11286269)
Hello , just a quick message to say , myself and my wife have bought a house in martos also , and we were wondering just how many expats there are living in Martos , Im a Vw mecanic , and my wife is a qualified nail tech. and we looking to find some groups etc , cheers

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

Pandyst Jun 3rd 2014 5:41 pm

Hi there , didnt have time earlier to reply , we are moving out there in august with our 3 children , and hope to relax and chill out as if we dont do it now , we never will and what can be better than owning yr own house , ☺so fingers crossed , we are both well motivated people so hopefully we be fine 😊

Rosemary Jul 31st 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by AndyMatt (Post 11353553)
Hi guys, we are moving to Martos on the 11th Aug, we have found a lovely house on a hill just outside the town and will be converting it into a high end boutique Small hotel.

We will have a large pool and a day spa, so looking for some help with developing things, we aim to be open early next season the website is a work in progress.

We're in town from mid August for two months prior to the completion date of our house. Please feel free to get in touch

Cheers

Andy and Matt

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

Amanda1967 Jul 31st 2014 10:18 am

Hi Andy and Matt, Good luck with your new venture. - sounds so exciting. Do post the address once you are up and running so we can hopefully send business your way:thumbup:

Rosemary Jul 31st 2014 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11353587)
Hi Andy and Matt, Good luck with your new venture. - sounds so exciting. Do post the address once you are up and running so we can hopefully send business your way:thumbup:

Sorry but they will not be able to do this as advertising is not allowed on the forum.

Rosemary

Amanda1967 Jul 31st 2014 10:50 am

oops sorry. perhaps they can message me instead so I can pay them a visit :cool:

Rosemary Jul 31st 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda1967 (Post 11353616)
oops sorry. perhaps they can message me instead so I can pay them a visit :cool:

I am sure that they will be grateful for any local information that you are able to provide for them long before they are up and running especially any that help them with overcoming difficulties that only those living in the area know about.

Rosemary

Pandyst Jul 31st 2014 5:06 pm

Hi there sorry.for the long time reply. Only got the wifi in the houseboat, yes we moved here 3 weeks ago.and loving it, I already have cars that I.fixed and seems to be going well, any local problems please, mail for advice ;-)

Saigonjack Oct 18th 2014 5:51 pm

Hi...Im looking at property in Martos...I am wondering what the options are for buying furniture in Martos or Jaen. I'm looking for light wooden furniture - bamboo or rattan, and also futons...Also if possible an IKEA in the area? or similar ..
thanks in advance..

timmyf Oct 18th 2014 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11442531)
Hi...Im looking at property in Martos...I am wondering what the options are for buying furniture in Martos or Jaen. I'm looking for light wooden furniture - bamboo or rattan, and also futons...Also if possible an IKEA in the area? or similar ..
thanks in advance..

Ikea are in malaga 100 miles away , rapimueble are at jaen used to be in Martos but shut now , there's a big carrefour at jaen also only 15 mins away ,I got a settee and a bed from rapimueble reasonably cheap but that was nearly 3 yrs ago ,

Saigonjack Oct 18th 2014 5:59 pm

timmyf...excellent reply...many of the property pictures I see are stuffed with heavy dark furniture...so wasnt sure what the options were..THANKS..

timmyf Oct 18th 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMatt (Post 11353553)
Hi guys, we are moving to Martos on the 11th Aug, we have found a lovely house on a hill just outside the town and will be converting it into a high end boutique Small hotel.

We will have a large pool and a day spa, so looking for some help with developing things, we aim to be open early next season the website is a work in progress.

We're in town from mid August for two months prior to the completion date of our house. Please feel free to get in touch

Cheers

Andy and Matt

Hi guys hope you are getting on well with your project if you need any advice re construction just give me a shout I have 2 places in Martos but I'm living in the uk at least for another 4 yrs

timmyf Oct 18th 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11442537)
timmyf...excellent reply...many of the property pictures I see are stuffed with heavy dark furniture...so wasnt sure what the options were..THANKS..

No probs jack il perhaps see you in the town sometime for a beer when you get settled we are off to Martos in 2 weeks in schools holidays it will be last trip of the year , great place nice bars and cheap

Saigonjack Oct 18th 2014 6:39 pm

timmyf..sounds like a good idea..might not be for a year or so...this is the time to buy, but sadly not the time to call work quits...unless there is a need for English teachers in the area..??....enjoy the break..

Rosemary Oct 18th 2014 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11442531)
thanks in advance..

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

Saigonjack Oct 20th 2014 8:51 am

Okay next newbie question. After agreeing a purchase price what other fees are there? Obviously the conveyancing fee, and local authority fees...Can anyone give a rough estimate on all extras...I can spend hours trying to do it online, but you guys are there and have gone through the process...One day I'll be in the position to pass on what I learn..THANKS..

Is there a "STICKY" for this kind of information?
Lawyers will be the next 'find'...

timmyf Oct 20th 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11443895)
Okay next newbie question. After agreeing a purchase price what other fees are there? Obviously the conveyancing fee, and local authority fees...Can anyone give a rough estimate on all extras...I can spend hours trying to do it online, but you guys are there and have gone through the process...One day I'll be in the position to pass on what I learn..THANKS..
Lawyers will be the next 'find'...

Hi mate purchase costs include 8% tax around on purchase price 400 euro notary fee , abagado fees around 15oo euro ish it's quite expensive one good thing your ibi that's council tax is around 100 euro a year paid in 2 instalments , you need to set up a bank account banco Sabadell have a English speaking advisor and a branch in martos , and don't forget your nie number you can't but without one

timmyf Oct 20th 2014 9:00 am

When you agree a purchase price find a solicitor and you then need to put a holding deposit on it , but don't pay any money until you have found a solicitor

Saigonjack Oct 20th 2014 9:09 am

Thanks...excellent answers...learning all the time. I've never bought a property anywhere before so have no frame of reference TKS

Nicola brown Nov 9th 2014 9:55 pm

Hi there, Nicola from Devon. I recently purchased a town house in Martos and have been back 4/5 times. I have travelled from Malaga Airport to Martos by car hire and taxi, but both prove quite expensive. I have been assured there is one bus daily, not weekends, that leaves Malaga airport at 3pm, and returns from Martos at 10 am. I wonder if anyone has travelled this way, and how reliable the service is. Any information would be very much appreciated. I am new to this forum, but have found some of the answers/questions very helpful.

Saigonjack Nov 9th 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Nicola..I took that bus last week..left Malaga bus station at 3pm arrived Martos sometime after 7..
Below is the bus company website in English

ALSA - Making travel simpler

Another thing I used to travel around was a website/smartphone app called BlaBla Car

www.blablacar.com

Easy to register and easy to pick up rides..just call or message the person giving the ride. I used it from Jaen to Granada and from Malaga to Sabinillas...but people go EVERYWHERE and at different times of the day...check Malaga to Martos or Jaen OR Malaga Airport to Martos or Jaen and see what comes up..

But the bus was good and it has wifi password WALSA...

timmyf Nov 10th 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11466314)
Hi Nicola..I took that bus last week..left Malaga bus station at 3pm arrived Martos sometime after 7..

Another thing I used to travel around was a website/smartphone app called BlaBla Car

www.blablacar.com

Easy to register and easy to pick up rides..just call or message the person giving the ride. I used it from Jaen to Granada and from Malaga to Sabinillas...but people go EVERYWHERE and at different times of the day...check Malaga to Martos or Jaen OR Malaga Airport to Martos or Jaen and see what comes up..

Hi mate how did you get on in Martos I was there from the 1 st to the 5 th

timmyf Nov 10th 2014 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11466289)
Hi there, Nicola from Devon. I recently purchased a town house in Martos and have been back 4/5 times. I have travelled from Malaga Airport to Martos by car hire and taxi, but both prove quite expensive. I have been assured there is one bus daily, not weekends, that leaves Malaga airport at 3pm, and returns from Martos at 10 am. I wonder if anyone has travelled this way, and how reliable the service is. Any information would be very much appreciated. I am new to this forum, but have found some of the answers/questions very helpful.

Hi Nicola by any chance you are not the same person I met in Los arcos bar in martos are you ? I tried to translate the menu ?

timmyf Nov 10th 2014 5:59 am

For car hire I use economy car hire uk based firm register with them then you can see what hire co you want most have the fair fuel policy meaning you fill up on return and nearly all are off the airport meaning cheaper rates 5 days hire in November £ 35 for a brand new car or cargest is another register and get10 %off I always take the cheaper option of the 2

Rosemary Nov 10th 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11466289)

Rosemary

Nicola brown Nov 10th 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11466314)

www.blablacar.com

Hi Saigonjack
Thanks for all the information, the app sounds very interesting, I will give it some thought, and maybe register. Nice to know the bus is reliable though, already do enough driving in this country. Cheers Nicola

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 11466593)
Hi Nicola by any chance you are not the same person I met in Los arcos bar in martos are you ? I tried to translate the menu ?

Hi there timmyf, yes, unbelievably I am!!!! What a small world. We were able to eat thanks to you!! I purchased a town house the very next day in the old part of Martos, through Derryl and Diego. They were great! I am still trying to master a little of the language, vino blanco being the most successful!!! I hope all is well for you. I think I will try the bus next time I visit. Nice talking to you, cheers Nicola

timmyf Nov 11th 2014 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11467623)
Hi Saigonjack
Thanks for all the information, the app sounds very interesting, I will give it some thought, and maybe register. Nice to know the bus is reliable though, already do enough driving in this country. Cheers Nicola

Hi there timmyf, yes, unbelievably I am!!!! What a small world. We were able to eat thanks to you!! I purchased a town house the very next day in the old part of Martos, through Derryl and Diego. They were great! I am still trying to master a little of the language, vino blanco being the most successful!!! I hope all is well for you. I think I will try the bus next time I visit. Nice talking to you, cheers Nicola

it is a small world Derryl and diego are great arnt they , I have brought another one on calle cobatillas. We've had a few days there last week , I've still got my old one Derryl is trying to sell it for me , we've been learning Spanish now for 3 yrs it's difficult we have a teacher come to our house in uk , if you ever need any help just give us a shout , I'm not back until feb now to do a bit of work , what street you on ? I've found for us it's cheaper hiring a car through economy but there's me and the mrs and my little one anyway il see you in Los Reales some time

timmyf Nov 11th 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11467623)
Hi Saigonjack

Hi Nicola I've sent you a private message

MICHAEL1951 Nov 15th 2014 7:01 pm

Hi. New to the site. Where is the best shop to buy paint in Martos?

timmyf Nov 15th 2014 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1951 (Post 11473357)

Av de los aceituneros there's a good ferreteria there they sell everything ,but if your in the old town there is los dos llaves ferretería near to the post office not as big as the other but they do sell a lot . I wouldn't buy paint from the number of Chinese shops in the town it's not very good , I use plastic pintura

MICHAEL1951 Nov 15th 2014 7:26 pm

Many thanks for advice on paint.

Rosemary Nov 15th 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1951 (Post 11473357)

Rosemary

Nicola brown Nov 19th 2014 9:19 pm

Hi timmyf I think I have to post a few more messages before I can send private ones, is that right? Anyway my house is just down from the castle, top of a very steep hill; one of many!!!! I have left Mohammad (recommended by Derryl) restoring parts of the garden! I was hoping to get back this month, but unfortunately, I've had to have a new roof on my home here, so funds very low!!!! Sounds like you've been very busy buying a second property, and restoring it. Good luck I hope it goes well. My son and I worked very hard the first week we had the house, just need to get back there ASAP!! Good luck with the Spanish lessons. Will keep in touch, Cheers Nicola