British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

the_london_family Nov 2nd 2011 3:37 pm

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated! :):)

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 5:54 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710684)
Hi, we're moving to martos soon and were wondering if anybody could give us any general advice. On the area, living there, shopping, people? All information would be hugely appreciated! :):)

Martos has a very good Chinese restaurant, it also has a great and large Saturday market behind the theatre, on the road with the funny trees.

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9710914)
Martos has a very good Chinese restaurant, it also has a great and large Saturday market behind the theatre, on the road with the funny trees.

One mans funny trees is another mans arboreal masterpiece.:D

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9710925)
One mans funny trees is another mans arboreal masterpiece.:D

They are very nice actually, strange shape would have been a better description:o, Not seen trees like them before, they arch over the whole road from both sides giving it shade and are like flat topped.

the_london_family Nov 2nd 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9710914)

Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??! :rofl:

The funny trees.. are SO BEAUTIFUL aren't they. :)
They're actually called a "canape" of trees :)
They have them on Holland Park Avenue and in many other little roads in London.

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710971)
Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??! :rofl:

we have been over the "who moves to Spain to each Chinese food numerous times.

And lots do eat Chinese food in Spain, and why not if you like it?

jackytoo Nov 2nd 2011 6:26 pm

Most Spanish I know like Chinese food. After you have been in Spain a couple of years a chines meal will be welcome after all that Ham, Cheese and Pork:rofl:

JLFS Nov 2nd 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9710999)
Most Spanish I know like Chinese food. After you have been in Spain a couple of years a chines meal will be welcome after all that Ham, Cheese and Pork:rofl:

And the spatcho........:rofl:

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by the_london_family (Post 9710971)
Thanks!

But Gosh, who moves to spain to eat chinese food?!?!??!
:rofl:

Ahh no, you wouldn't move here for a Chinese, but if you do enjoy a good Chinese meal, you wouldn't be laughing for long:rofl: Like I say you are so lucky there's a good one in Martos so you shouldn't be affected.

After a year or two without one, it might be one thing you will be so grateful for. Your next closest I think, is miles away and that's crap.

anonimouse Nov 2nd 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9710999)

So very true:thumbsup: and I doubt it will take two years lol

webb15 Nov 6th 2011 8:29 am

There are quite a few expats who live in Martos and many more in the surrounding area.

More again that have a second/holiday home there.

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996.

Rosemary Nov 7th 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by webb15 (Post 9717274)
There are quite a few expats who live in Martos and many more in the surrounding area.

More again that have a second/holiday home there.

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996.

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham

not peter Feb 13th 2012 10:50 pm

Hi lots of good shops in Martos, three big supermarkets, A good cheap electrical sore on the street in front of the market, (bottom of street). People are really nice you just need to make an effort with the language and try to fit in.

Rosemary Feb 14th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by not peter (Post 9900455)
Hi lots of good shops in Martos, three big supermarkets, A good cheap electrical sore on the street in front of the market, (bottom of street). People are really nice you just need to make an effort with the language and try to fit in.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Bedwells Feb 18th 2012 8:50 am

Hello The London Family!!

Have you moved to Martos yet and of so what do you think of the town?
We are presently living in Murcia but are looking for a change and so interested in your opinion, especially after HillyBilly told me Alcaudete is a bit of a run-down-town.
Thanks

webb15 Feb 18th 2012 9:50 am

Hi,

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996. I don´t think Alcaudete is run down but I wouldn´t particularly want to live there or in Martos itself, but I´m a country girl therefore biased!

As hill billly said why not stay in the area for a few days to explore? We have a holiday letting house - Casa El Reguelo near Fuensanta de Martos.

We also know several people selling up in the area and want to sell privately.

Rachel

Bedwells Feb 18th 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by webb15 (Post 9908608)
Hi,

I´ve lived near Martos since 1996. I don´t think Alcaudete is run down but I wouldn´t particularly want to live there or in Martos itself, but I´m a country girl therefore biased!

As hill billly said why not stay in the area for a few days to explore? We have a holiday letting house - Casa El Reguelo near Fuensanta de Martos.

We also know several people selling up in the area and want to sell privately.

Rachel

Thank you for that. I have PM'd you with my email address etc:)

skegbylad Mar 14th 2012 1:42 pm

Hi to expats living in Martos, and of those who are of thinking of doing so.

We are in the process of buying a house in Martos, if all goes well we should have the keys in 6 weeks or so.
We have been to Martos only twice, for one day visits to look at property.

We decided on Martos after visiting Alcudete, Alcal la Real, and surrounding villages, as we felt there was everything in Martos for us. Shops, bars, supermarkets and swimming pool, and the lovely tree lined street and park.

We spent a fantastic afternoon in a Tapas bar in February enjoying the food and wine after making an offer on a house and it being accepted.

Can anyone who lives in Martos give us their feelings on what its like to live there, and any tips we might need to help us out.

Thank you.

Rosemary Mar 14th 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by skegbylad (Post 9952668)

We are in the process of buying a house in Martos, if all goes well we should have the keys in 6 weeks or so.

We decided on Martos after visiting Alcudete, Alcal la Real, and surrounding villages, as we felt there was everything in Martos for us. Shops, bars, supermarkets and swimming pool, and the lovely tree lined street and park.

We spent a fantastic afternoon in a Tapas bar in February enjoying the food and wine after making an offer on a house and it being accepted.

Can anyone who lives in Martos give us their feelings on what its like to live there, and any tips we might need to help us out.

Thank you.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

Rosemary

Bedwells Mar 14th 2012 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by skegbylad (Post 9952668)

Thank you.

Hello Skegbylad,
We dont live in Martos but we are looking at houses in that area and round-a-bout. What made you decide on Martos? We have spent time in Alcaudete but traveling back to the area in April.
Wish you all the best in your new home.:)

skegbylad Mar 15th 2012 8:49 pm

Hi,
My partner and I visited the area a couple of weeks ago. I liked rural properties but my partner wanted to be in a town. We both liked Alcal la Real, but found good houses more expensive. We found a great town house in Martos and made a cheeky offer which sealed the deal. Martos has everything we need, bars shopping, large supermarkets, swimming pool open in the summer.
Loads of fiestas and the people seem really friendly and it's very cheap. I retire at Xmas at 51 and my pension will give me a worry free life with a housepaid for and money in the bank and a monthly income that allows me to live very comfortably. In uk I would have to rent a place, and struggle along paying huge bills. Example, council tax on our house in Martos is around £60 a year. Let me know how your visit goes and if you want to visit Martos in the future I will show you round. I should complete my purchase 27th April.

skegbylad Mar 19th 2012 10:38 pm

Q

pickle04 Apr 10th 2012 12:54 pm

Hi, Skegbylad, I was wondering if you have any info on Martos for me please? I will be coming out shortly to view some properties in and around the Martos area. I was speaking to an estate agent over in Spain and he told me that Martos has had a large influx of Eastern Europeans and North Africans due to the low property prices. Did you notice this when you were in Martos recently? As I was under the impression that it is still a predominately Spanish area, which is what I am looking for. Hope all goes well for you. Many Thanks.

skegbylad Apr 10th 2012 2:25 pm

Hi, Martos has a population of around 20000, which is obviously predominantly Spanish.
I have heard there are a number of eastern Europeans living in Martos, but in such a large town you are bound to have a diverse population.
I can't imagine the influence of a few can change a long established community that are law abiding and have a very prominent police force.
Don't believe all that estate agents tell you, a lot of them will tell you anything to sell you a house in an area they want you to buy.
Go to Martos and look for yourself, I did and am happy I did.
Any crime of any concern, to me happens on the coast
One last thing is that in the olive picking season lots of casual workers are in town to work the fields as if you are not aware this is a massive olive producing area.
Good luck, and make your own mind up after your visit.

Bedwells Apr 10th 2012 2:29 pm

We are going this weekend to have a look :D

skegbylad Apr 10th 2012 2:48 pm

Good luck you two, let us know how you go on.

Bedwells Apr 10th 2012 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by skegbylad (Post 9998361)
Good luck you two, let us know how you go on.

Will do and thanks x

pickle04 Apr 10th 2012 6:21 pm

Hi, Skegbylad thank you for your reply. I'm sure Martos will be the place I settle for. I am looking forward to coming out to view some properties shortly, do you have any information of any lawyers in the area that you could recommend, or any advice that you may feel will be useful. Thanks.

skegbylad Apr 11th 2012 11:29 am

Hi pickle04,

I am using an independent lawyer from Fuengirola who I have met face to face in his office, and know others that have used him.

If you pm me, I will give you his details.

If you look at cheap houses in Martos, lots of them need work, quite a lot as for what I saw. There are nice ones there so don't just waste your time looking at unsuitable property. Tell the agent your feelings, if you think it is not suitable tell them and if they should be able to show you the best for your budget. I used undiscoveredspain.net (derryl phollips)and Andalusian property sales (Dianne Heston)

timmyf Jun 3rd 2012 8:34 pm

hi i have also just brought a property in martos ,but looking at the date you posted you are probablt moved in and settled now let me know how you are getting on

timmyf Jun 3rd 2012 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by skegbylad (Post 9955271)
Hi,
My partner and I visited the area a couple of weeks ago. I liked rural properties but my partner wanted to be in a town. We both liked Alcal la Real, but found good houses more expensive. We found a great town house in Martos and made a cheeky offer which sealed the deal. Martos has everything we need, bars shopping, large supermarkets, swimming pool open in the summer.
Loads of fiestas and the people seem really friendly and it's very cheap. I retire at Xmas at 51 and my pension will give me a worry free life with a housepaid for and money in the bank and a monthly income that allows me to live very comfortably. In uk I would have to rent a place, and struggle along paying huge bills. Example, council tax on our house in Martos is around £60 a year. Let me know how your visit goes and if you want to visit Martos in the future I will show you round. I should complete my purchase 27th April.

hope to see you in martos just brought a cheap house there as a bolt hole at the moment ,holidays etc

skegbylad Jun 3rd 2012 9:37 pm

Hi timmyf,
We have our house now and spent a week there in May.
We are back in UK now, but back in August for 10 days. If you PM me, I will give you my personnel details. We love Martos, and our house there.

tuftyj6 Jun 5th 2012 3:12 pm

Hi there. coming out to view properties as they are so cheap and may mean I can eventually have a home in spain! Is Martos suitable for teenage visitors? is there much to do in the area? Any advise helpful :)

anonimouse Jun 5th 2012 3:42 pm

Nowt wrong with Martos, I like it there. theres a cheap end a an expensive end but it doesn't matter, save your money and buy cheap as they are all friendly folk.

timmyf Apr 30th 2013 1:09 pm

do we actually know how many brits there are either living or have a second home in martos ,

timmyf May 26th 2013 5:56 am

After reading this thread how well did everyone get on with buying in martos?

Durham Family Oct 31st 2013 1:08 am

Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum and was wondering if any of you are still in martos. We have been restoring a house in the old town for several years whilst living back in the uk owing to the downturn. I would love to hear from anyone in the area.

Rosemary Oct 31st 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Durham Family (Post 10969966)
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum and was wondering if any of you are still in martos. We have been restoring a house in the old town for several years whilst living back in the uk owing to the downturn. I would love to hear from anyone in the area.

Rosemary

timmyf Oct 31st 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Durham Family (Post 10969966)
Hi everyone,

Hi I'm still in martos , calle fillipe , ex brickie , and general builder if you need any advice , I'm just constructing a large patio and steps myself

Amanda1967 Mar 24th 2014 1:51 pm

Hi timmyf, I have a house in Monte Lope Alverez and get out to it a couple of times a year. I could do with some advice on the walls! As its shut up for most of the year I find that I need to keep painting some of the walls inside and the following year its a pile of dust on the floor again - one room I cant even get a second coat to stick. I have tried sealing the walls with various and using damp/mould free paint etc. Martos is 10 mins drive and a lovely town for all our shopping needs but my Spanish isn't the best - I do try :) but cant find anything over there to cure it. The house is over 100 years old in Calle Granada. Do you think that once I can spend more time there and can air the property a bit more it will get better? Thanks in advance. Oh and that chinese restaurant mmmmmmm lovely. Jaen a great place too