British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/does-anyone-live-jaen-martos-area-737663/)

Nicola brown Nov 19th 2014 9:47 pm

Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi everyone, I've been told by a couple of English people, during my last visit, that Martos is exceptionally quiet over Xmas. Does everywhere close over the Christmas period? I guess Malaga has a lot more going on? Is it still warm in December?

timmyf Nov 20th 2014 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11478002)
Hi timmyf I think I have to post a few more messages before I can send private ones, is that right? Anyway my house is just down from the castle, top of a very steep hill; one of many!!!! I have left Mohammad (recommended by Derryl) restoring parts of the garden! I was hoping to get back this month, but unfortunately, I've had to have a new roof on my home here, so funds very low!!!! Sounds like you've been very busy buying a second property, and restoring it. Good luck I hope it goes well. My son and I worked very hard the first week we had the house, just need to get back there ASAP!! Good luck with the Spanish lessons. Will keep in touch, Cheers Nicola

Hi Nicola , yes I think you have to post a few more times before you can pm, I left my number on the pm so if you have any problems with anything you can give me or mrs f a call and we can try and sort it for you ,it's very daunting at first and not speaking the lingo , paying your ibi etc , me and a pal are over on 6 th dec for a couple of days ,dec is not bad weather wise but I know jan and February can be cold it snowed when we wee over in February a couple of years ago , I think they celebrate Christmas more in early jan the 5 th I think ,I'm not very religious so I'm not sure although mrs f is a catholic and she is shouting epiphany at me so they you have it I've learned something new , il wait until you get your pm s up and running before i tell you some gossip

Nicola brown Dec 2nd 2014 7:15 pm

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone out there has ever swam in the lake at Castillas De Martos. Is it possible to get there from the cycle path in Martos, and how far is it ? I have been to the lake, but only by car! I was hoping it was walkable. Cheers Nicola

timmyf Dec 3rd 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Nicola brown (Post 11490482)
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone out there has ever swam in the lake at Castillas De Martos. Is it possible to get there from the cycle path in Martos, and how far is it ? I have been to the lake, but only by car! I was hoping it was walkable. Cheers Nicola

Don't think you can swim it Nicola always looks a bit green to me I asked one of the spaniards in a local bar and he just pointed at the chemist , you can always go to naciemento in Castillo but both of them are a car drive , think you could probably cycle to the lake

Jon b Dec 14th 2014 11:42 am

Hi,
Jon from Derby here new to the forum, I am in Martos in January looking at property with Derryl with a view to moving over permanently in summer, can anybody recommend a b&b in Martos? Hotel in Martos full for my visit, also is there a bar popular with english speakers. Thank you

timmyf Dec 14th 2014 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Jon b (Post 11501700)
Hi,
Jon from Derby here new to the forum, I am in Martos in January looking at property with Derryl with a view to moving over permanently in summer, can anybody recommend a b&b in Martos? Hotel in Martos full for my visit, also is there a bar popular with english speakers. Thank you

Not many people speak English there mate but if you visit los Reales Vanessa behind the bar does speak a little are you looking at my house I have one for sale with Derryl the captain ?

timmyf Dec 14th 2014 12:03 pm

Hi,

As for hotels the cuidad is about the best value , there is also the fernando and the hildalgo which is the most expensive , look forward to meeting you I go out once every 2 months and have 2 houses out there ,you won't go far wrong with Derryl and diego , we live in lincs and are gonna move out in 4 yrs , Martos is a very nice place with loads of bars and restaurants , but you will need to learn some lingo ,

Saigonjack Dec 14th 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Jon B....as Timmy has pointed out only 3 places to stay in Martos...no B&B..and all pretty expensive. When I visited a few months back I stayed in Jaen...a 40 minute bus ride away....more choice, and a lot cheaper and they had an excellent hostel, where I stayed ...

Jon b Dec 14th 2014 12:30 pm

Hi timmyf
Thanks for the quick reply, the places I am viewing want a lot of work? am hoping to get a local with some English to work with me as I am a builder by trade, I am having Spanish lessons at the moment so hoping to have a little lingo by time I move. Thanks for the hotel info am going to enquire at them , i look forward to meeting you .

Rosemary Dec 14th 2014 12:35 pm

Hi,

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Jon b Dec 14th 2014 12:37 pm

Hi saigonjack
Thanks for that, didn't expect such quick replys so thanks, I wanted to stay in Martos just to enjoy the evenings with a wine or two...

timmyf Dec 14th 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jon b (Post 11501753)
Hi timmyf
Thanks for the quick reply, the places I am viewing want a lot of work? am hoping to get a local with some English to work with me as I am a builder by trade, I am having Spanish lessons at the moment so hoping to have a little lingo by time I move. Thanks for the hotel info am going to enquire at them , i look forward to meeting you .

Hi Jon , Iam a brickie by trade but went down a diff road some 20 yrs ago still keep my hand in did a patio out there last year materials are incredibly cheap and are delivered very quickly , anyway happy hunting and if you need any help at the merchants give us a shout

MICHAEL1951 Dec 14th 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Guys. We are heading for Martos next weekend 21st. Does anyone know where I can buy an empty gas bottle or where can I buy a full one without the hasle of an inspection. Michael.

Jon b Dec 14th 2014 1:26 pm

Hi timmyf
Thanks for that mate it's good to know, looking forward to getting out there and stuck into it, al let you know how things go with Derryl. Thanks again

timmyf Dec 14th 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1951 (Post 11501796)
Hi Guys. We are heading for Martos next weekend 21st. Does anyone know where I can buy an empty gas bottle or where can I buy a full one without the hasle of an inspection. Michael.

Can't you get one straight off the truck that comes round

MICHAEL1951 Dec 14th 2014 2:15 pm

Tried that a few years ago near Malaga and was told I needed an inspection, which I agreed to. The same week the guy from repsol called and after looking for 5 minutes he gave us a bill for 25euro and told us we needed a larger vent fitted to the bottom of our kitchen door and of course he new someone who would fit the vent for us for guess how much, 25euro. In the end I fitted the vent myself and found a guy at the weekly market who sold me a empty bottle for 10euro. Maybe things have changed. Michael

timmyf Dec 14th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1951 (Post 11501824)
Tried that a few years ago near Malaga and was told I needed an inspection, which I agreed to. The same week the guy from repsol called and after looking for 5 minutes he gave us a bill for 25euro and told us we needed a larger vent fitted to the bottom of our kitchen door and of course he new someone who would fit the vent for us for guess how much, 25euro. In the end I fitted the vent myself and found a guy at the weekly market who sold me a empty bottle for 10euro. Maybe things have changed. Michael

Don't think il get the same resistance in martos

tysondream Dec 23rd 2014 4:43 pm

My wife and I are coming out to martos next year to view properties we are looking for a nice townhouse or country house depending on the price.

timmyf Dec 23rd 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by tysondream (Post 11511520)
My wife and I are coming out to martos next year to view properties we are looking for a nice townhouse or country house depending on the price.

Nice one mate see you in the local

Mark604 Feb 23rd 2015 5:56 pm

Hello everyone on here. I have a question which I'll get to in a second. Firstly my wife pointed me in the direction of this forum and I'm glad she did, especially as I recognise a couple of names mentioned, Derryl and Diego. They were very helpful when we bought our house a few years ago, which is near Bobadilla.

I read with interest some of the information on here and realise that webb15, I stayed at your house once. Really enjoyed it. Also skegbylad, I come from Skegby, I wonder if it's the same one. I can't yet send a pm otherwise I would.

We bought our house in 2009 and have used it as a holiday home for now, but from next month I'll be there for about a year. Getting round to my question, I have a couple of daughters who need to have Spanish lessons. Is there a language school that will do this in Martos/Alcaudete that anyone knows?
I'd prefer that they went to a school than having a private tutor but if that is the only alternative then so be it.
I've seen the British language school near the police station in Alcaudete and keep meaning to pop in and ask them, and I really must do so when I get there.
Thanks.

timmyf Feb 23rd 2015 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 11574023)
Hello everyone on here. I have a question which I'll get to in a second. Firstly my wife pointed me in the direction of this forum and I'm glad she did, especially as I recognise a couple of names mentioned, Derryl and Diego. They were very helpful when we bought our house a few years ago, which is near Bobadilla.

I read with interest some of the information on here and realise that webb15, I stayed at your house once. Really enjoyed it. Also skegbylad, I come from Skegby, I wonder if it's the same one. I can't yet send a pm otherwise I would.

We bought our house in 2009 and have used it as a holiday home for now, but from next month I'll be there for about a year. Getting round to my question, I have a couple of daughters who need to have Spanish lessons. Is there a language school that will do this in Martos/Alcaudete that anyone knows?
I'd prefer that they went to a school than having a private tutor but if that is the only alternative then so be it.
I've seen the British language school near the police station in Alcaudete and keep meaning to pop in and ask them, and I really must do so when I get there.
Thanks.

Hi mark , just an answer to your question I know of a scots man in Martos who teaches Spanish if you want to pm me I can give you his number and there is also a couple of English language schools in Martos

Mark604 Feb 23rd 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks for that timmy. I need, I think, a couple of more posts before I can pm so I'll just hang on a bit. The schools in Martos might be an idea and could well know.

Rosemary Feb 23rd 2015 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 11574023)
Hello everyone on here. I've seen the British language school near the police station in Alcaudete and keep meaning to pop in and ask them, and I really must do so when I get there.
Thanks.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

timmyf Feb 24th 2015 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 11574092)
Thanks for that timmy. I need, I think, a couple of more posts before I can pm so I'll just hang on a bit. The schools in Martos might be an idea and could well know.

Three is also a bilingual state school in Martos now as well I am going to make enquiries about that as I'm moving to Martos in 3 yrs although my son has already started Spanish lessons a bi lingual school would be good

Mark604 Feb 24th 2015 7:37 am

Which one is it? Can't find it on a search at the moment.

timmyf Feb 24th 2015 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 11574637)
Which one is it? Can't find it on a search at the moment.

I'm not sure il email the spaniard who told me about it last week

Saigonjack Mar 2nd 2015 12:44 am

Martos dwellers...Last I read there were 3 English Language centres in Martos, would anyone have the contact details with a name and email address for any of the schools or a webpage ..tks..

timmyf Mar 2nd 2015 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11580313)
Martos dwellers...Last I read there were 3 English Language centres in Martos, would anyone have the contact details with a name and email address for any of the schools or a webpage ..tks..

Hi mate do you want a Spanish school these 3 language centres teach English one of which is the Kent school of English
If these are what your after il post the others as soon as I get a reply from mate over there

Saigonjack Mar 2nd 2015 6:48 am

Hi Timmy...well I know of the 3 language centres....so those contact details would be a great place to start. I have also heard that the local schools do take English teachers - however I have no information on how to get one of those jobs - I was hoping that 1 of the centre owners might be able to help me on that front. There is also a large English Dept at the University of Jaen. but my letter of inquiry to the University from last November as yet remains unanswered - maybe because it was in English and not in Spanish :(, as I sent it to [email protected].
Again I'm hoping that someone from the language centres will maybe have a contact person at the University ..

All of this is speculative at the moment, but I'm seriously under-challenged by my job and the students here in Vietnam, so I'm looking at this being my last year IF i can get something in and around Martos....

timmyf Mar 2nd 2015 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11580449)
Hi Timmy...well I know of the 3 language centres....so those contact details would be a great place to start. I have also heard that the local schools do take English teachers - however I have no information on how to get one of those jobs - I was hoping that 1 of the centre owners might be able to help me on that front. There is also a large English Dept at the University of Jaen. but my letter of inquiry to the University from last November as yet remains unanswered - maybe because it was in English and not in Spanish :(, as I sent it to [email protected].
Again I'm hoping that someone from the language centres will maybe have a contact person at the University ..

All of this is speculative at the moment, but I'm seriously under-challenged by my job and the students here in Vietnam, so I'm looking at this being my last year IF i can get something in and around Martos....

Ok mate I know somebody who is friend of the owner of the Kent school I will make some enquiries for you

Saigonjack Mar 2nd 2015 7:23 am

Thanks mate,..... maybe 2016 will be THE year :))

cricketman Mar 2nd 2015 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Saigonjack (Post 11580449)

You wont be able to teach at the University unless you have a degree in philology, pass the oposiciones exams in Spanish and are lucky enough to be posted to the university of your choice

That's if there is a space for you of course. Unusually only a few percent of the people who pass the exams actually get offered the job

If you want to teach English then just do a tefl and ask all the language schools if they need an English teacher

Saigonjack Mar 2nd 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks Cricketman..qualified and been teaching for nearly 17 years..Most Universities run an ESL/EFL programme and I've taught on these programmes in Ecuador and in Vietnam where I live and work without any issues, however, its not a big deal if I dont qualify for a job. I'm really just interested in using my knowledge and experience to help students for exam preperation, business communication etc, so with 3 language centres and also websites like Clases particulares y Profesores particulares to provide myself with online students I should be able to make some beer tokens but more importantly give me a few productive hours everyday ...

delbut Mar 15th 2015 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by timmyf (Post 11501726)
As for hotels the cuidad is about the best value , there is also the fernando and the hildalgo which is the most expensive , look forward to meeting you I go out once every 2 months and have 2 houses out there ,you won't go far wrong with Derryl and diego , we live in lincs and are gonna move out in 4 yrs , Martos is a very nice place with loads of bars and restaurants , but you will need to learn some lingo ,

Hi Timmyf, i've seen the name Derryl and Diego on this thread a few times. If they are agents, can you let me know how I contact them, please? I've used Inland Adalucia property agents to look in Alcala but it wouldbe good to know of more.
Thanks

Saigonjack Mar 16th 2015 2:00 pm

delbut..if you google - property for sale in Alcala la real then all the main estate agents in the area will pop up including D and D ...as you say you should always look around and the first 2 hits on Google for that question return the 2 main search websites that take from all the main agents, so a lot more choice

timmyf Apr 15th 2015 7:08 am

Originally Posted by delbut (Post 11592940)
Hi Timmyf, i've seen the name Derryl and Diego on this thread a few times. If they are agents, can you let me know how I contact them, please? I've used Inland Adalucia property agents to look in Alcala but it wouldbe good to know of more.
Thanks

sorry mate didn't see your thread pm you

WuhanMadrid May 7th 2015 6:20 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me if my question has already been asked/answered.

I am considering moving to Martos in August with my Spanish girlfriend (I am English). I am looking at ESL teaching jobs and have been offered an interview in Martos. We are both 30 and I was wondering if there is much to do in the town. Shops, bars, restaurants, gym etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rosemary May 7th 2015 6:52 am

Originally Posted by WuhanMadrid (Post 11639180)
Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me if my question has already been asked/answered.

I am considering moving to Martos in August with my Spanish girlfriend (I am English). I am looking at ESL teaching jobs and have been offered an interview in Martos. We are both 30 and I was wondering if there is much to do in the town. Shops, bars, restaurants, gym etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rosemary

AndyMatt May 7th 2015 6:58 am

Hi,

We've been here since August last year, we love Martos, there's always lots to do, we have 3 supermarkets, lots of bars and restaurants. I am member of the gym in town there's another one on the industrial estate and a female only one too. Jean is only 15 mins away, where you have the university and great shopping. I believe theres 7 restaurants in the Michelin guide in Jaen and loads of cafe bars.

Have met some great spanish friends here it is so freindly! If there's anything else you want to know please just message mate.

Best of Luck

Matt

Rosemary May 7th 2015 7:37 am

Originally Posted by AndyMatt (Post 11639210)
Hi,

We've been here since August last year, we love Martos, there's always lots to do, we have 3 supermarkets, lots of bars and restaurants. I am member of the gym in town there's another one on the industrial estate and a female only one too. Jean is only 15 mins away, where you have the university and great shopping. I believe theres 7 restaurants in the Michelin guide in Jaen and loads of cafe bars.

Have met some great spanish friends here it is so freindly! If there's anything else you want to know please just message mate.

Best of Luck

Matt

Rosemary