Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone live in the Jaen / Martos area?

Hi Amanda. I have sent you a PM. Maureen
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

AdrianMalcolm is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to rent a car this time and will be in Martos for a week from next Saturday. I think my house which is on Calle Cojos is a bit of a mess as it was rented to some locals who weren't too conscious it wasn't their property so left it in a bit of a state. Oh well, we live and learn.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

HappyCouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend a car hire company in Malaga? We have been trailing the internet looking for the cheapest one? What sort of price should we pay per day?

Last edited by HappyCouple; Jun 12th 2016 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

I just booked one today from DoYouSpain.com which costs about €4 a day, unlimited mileage. There is a charge for fuelling of around €20/30 or so. I added their Platinum Excess Waiver policy to have peace of mind if I was in an accident. The pick up and return is from the airport wheras some rentals are from 'nearby'.
I wrote to them asking for clarification as I found the entire car rental business in Malaga a nightmare to negociate. (Last time I rented the company was a few miles away and difficult to find when returning the vehicle.)
The hire company is Firefly and when I collect the car they will block a deposit of €890 on my credit card. They won't take the money unless I have an accident but then I reclaim that from the excess waiver policy.
Of course, if you go at a different time of year you can expect to pay a lot more. I hope this helps. There is a face to this company,
Claire Davis
Head of Customer Happiness
DoYouSpain.com
[email protected]
I hope this helps ~ Adrian

Last edited by AdrianMalcolm; Jun 12th 2016 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

By the way, my rental is from 18th - 23 rd June, 5 days, and I think the total is €34.75 + fuel charge. Of course, this is off season and cheap, prices in high season are very different.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Happy Couple, hope all goes well for you in Martos, and you manage to purchase 'the one'!!! You mention an electrical upgrade on the property, at the cost of a 1,000 euros. I purchased a property in Martos a couple of years ago now, and have been updating it ever since. My electrics could definitely do with an upgrade, and one of the quotes I reciieved was more expensive than Britain. I also had Diego come to the property with a Spanish guy, who took down all requirements, plugs, sockets etc, but sadly didn't ever receive a quote!!!! 1,000 euros sounds very cheap, and I wonder if you could tell me just what exactly your having upgraded, and by whom? Much appreciated
Nicola
Old Jun 12th 2016, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Adrian, we will look at that hire company tomorrow

Nicola it was actually Derryl who quoted this on the phone to us when i asked her how much it would cost to upgrade the electrics she said we should expect to pay 1000Euros, but i do not know what all this entailed, she did say as we would be using hairdryer and some heating fans maybe, so it may have been for a booster? Or basic upgrade the ampage. Are you looking at an Electrical Rewire? I will be looking into it further myself and if i get any info i will let you know. Do you know also if we can install UK light switches and sockets over there so that we can bring our electrical goods from here and not use adaptors?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Firefly car rental hasn't got the best of reputations though I have hired with them and received an ok service. I've found Malagacar and Delpaso to be the best out of a poor bunch.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:24 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyCouple
Thanks Adrian, we will look at that hire company tomorrow

Nicola it was actually Derryl who quoted this on the phone to us when i asked her how much it would cost to upgrade the electrics she said we should expect to pay 1000Euros, but i do not know what all this entailed, she did say as we would be using hairdryer and some heating fans maybe, so it may have been for a booster? Or basic upgrade the ampage. Are you looking at an Electrical Rewire? I will be looking into it further myself and if i get any info i will let you know. Do you know also if we can install UK light switches and sockets over there so that we can bring our electrical goods from here and not use adaptors?
Your electrics will have to pass Spanish codes so will have to have Spanish sockets.

Far better to change the plugs on your electrical things than using adaptors.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 13th 2016 at 6:31 am.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mark, we got a good online quote from carmalaga.

Thanks Rosemary, we actually hadnt even thought of that! Some stuff i read and havnt thought of makes me feel so unknowledgable, theres so much to cover!

Last edited by HappyCouple; Jun 13th 2016 at 9:53 am.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Your electrics will have to pass Spanish codes so will have to have Spanish sockets.

Far better to change the plugs on your electrical things than using adaptors.

Rosemary
Hi that's quite interesting, I didn't actually realise you could upgrade the electrics, without retwiring the whole house, which is obviously far more expensive!! My electrics work well, but have a lower voltage than what we are used too in Britain. To use a microwave or electric kettle for example , I have to use a booster, which was already I the hose when I purchased it. My fridge/freezer also requires one. How does an upgrade work then? Presuming its to enable you to use a higher voltage, surely this involves rewiring??? Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nicola

I honestly dont know what it entails, we will find out next Wednesday when we are over. We asked on the phone how much would it be to upgrade the Electrics and we were told budget around 1000E. I will get back to you when i find out exactly what that entails. We already know by the photos of the property we are looking at that the Electrics will need looked at and probably rewired. How much is a total rewire, have you had a quote for that? Ive been reading about Bolteins etc since being on here last so 1000E seems very low to us also.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

spain uses both 110volt and 220volt electrics most of the homes in matos are 110volt you can test them with a multi meter only costs €5 in the asian bazaar. also easy to spot if the wires are exposed ie stapled across the ceiling to the light most likely they are 110volt but best to make sure by testing them.
220 volt should be in trunking and plastered over the cost of 1000 is a bargain when you consider you have to buy new trunking, wiring, and consumer trip switch box , chasing the trunking in to the the walls and re-plastering it all by a qualified electrician also you will probably will want more sockets installed more to you want for living i would hazzard €2000 would be more realistic
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

wicklowjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HappyCouple
Hi Nicola

I honestly dont know what it entails, we will find out next Wednesday when we are over. We asked on the phone how much would it be to upgrade the Electrics and we were told budget around 1000E. I will get back to you when i find out exactly what that entails. We already know by the photos of the property we are looking at that the Electrics will need looked at and probably rewired. How much is a total rewire, have you had a quote for that? Ive been reading about Bolteins etc since being on here last so 1000E seems very low to us also.

Spain - Electricity | ExpatFocus.com

this should answer a few questions for you
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone, has anyone taken the bus from Malaga bus station to martos bus station re entry, and vis versa? Goi g over on the 18th July and decided to give the bus a try, but having little success!!!! Putting all information on ALSA site, but keeps saying no buses!!!!!! As far as I'm aware, buses run once a day, weekdays only, leaving Malaga bus depot at 3 arriving Martos at 7, and Martos bus depot at 10.00 arriving Malaga at 2, is this still correct???? Also only had one quote for rewire, over £3/4,000, which I thought quite expensive! This was not Derryl/Diego though!
All help appreciated Nicola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.