Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Originally Posted by painterhombre
we should have rented from you then!!!!!!!

The contract is in english and Spanish. The english doesnt mention the tax, but surprise surprise, the spanish version does!!!!!

oh well, weve learnt a lesson and will be more careful in future. Thanks also to lynn for taking a look at it for us.

its only an extra 40 a month or whatever but with the sh*** exchange rate it does make a difference, but oh well, such is life................
yvw
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Do you know the landlord or just the agent? if you know the landlord might be worth telling them that the contract you signed in english didnt mention it but now you've discovered you liable for it, they might say dont worry rather than risk having an empty house at this moment in time.
If it makes you feel any better I bet we all did silly things when we first came over without realising, I know i certainly did
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cajam31
If it makes you feel any better I bet we all did silly things when we first came over without realising, I know i certainly did
Yes, we've all done silly things. It's how we all react to those things that determines whether we cope or not.

I think Brits love to apportion blame, it's in the blood. Just picking on a few threads tonight it's easy to blame the estate agent, the lawyer, the landlord, the town hall, the bank, or perhaps the British government and their incredible exchange rate policy as to why things just didn't work out. That approach may work in London or New York, it might even win you friends or a promotion, but it doesn't work here when all you get in return is a shrug of the shoulders. Circle of influence vs circle of concern.

I've met several Brits that point-blank refuse to ever accept any personal responsibility for anything in life. They don't seem to achieve anything but a desire or need to return to England.

I've also met Brits that held their hands up, accept their mistakes (some very expensive), just put it down to experience. They moved on, and are the ones still running profitable businesses here, or settled happily with ther family.

Living in Spain can be tough. Even after years here, I'll get a day when I'm tied up in the middle of some Spanish bureaucratic nonsense and then I find I just can't get the words out because I'm tired or stressed...

I've even given those days a name... I call them Fridays
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by carter71
Yes, we've all done silly things. It's how we all react to those things that determines whether we cope or not.

I think Brits love to apportion blame, it's in the blood. Just picking on a few threads tonight it's easy to blame the estate agent, the lawyer, the landlord, the town hall, the bank, or perhaps the British government and their incredible exchange rate policy as to why things just didn't work out. That approach may work in London or New York, it might even win you friends or a promotion, but it doesn't work here when all you get in return is a shrug of the shoulders. Circle of influence vs circle of concern.

I've met several Brits that point-blank refuse to ever accept any personal responsibility for anything in life. They don't seem to achieve anything but a desire or need to return to England.

I've also met Brits that held their hands up, accept their mistakes (some very expensive), just put it down to experience. They moved on, and are the ones still running profitable businesses here, or settled happily with ther family.

Living in Spain can be tough. Even after years here, I'll get a day when I'm tied up in the middle of some Spanish bureaucratic nonsense and then I find I just can't get the words out because I'm tired or stressed...

I've even given those days a name... I call them Fridays
well thank god its saturday then!!!!!!

yep, hands held up, we made a small mistake by not getting a spanish speaker to look at the contract, but at least its not an expensive mstake. Yep, my fault, but as i said earlier, es la vida!!!!!!! i wont lose any sleep over it, just a bit cheesed off about it but doesnt matter, far more important things to think about now
Old Sep 19th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

i'd speak to the owner if you can, and explain your view. €40 may not be much right now, but its saving the owner almost €500 a year! its obviously pissed you off, see if you find a friendly gestor in the next few weeks and see if they could check the 2 contracts for a fre drink or 2 and see what they come up with.
i know the place was rented through an estate agent, but is the owner registering his rental earnings? if not, you may have a slight upper hand.

we got ripped off in a rental a few years back, and some things went wrong with electricity problems, the basement flooding and leaks in the ceiling and bathroom (in a new build...) and a neighbour who went buck spastic about us having cats and threatened to poison them (the agent told us the urb was animal friendly), so we had to keep them indoors. in the end, we gave the owners a months notice, and moved out,as they werent legally renting the property anyway.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 11:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digdug
i'd speak to the owner if you can, and explain your view. €40 may not be much right now, but its saving the owner almost €500 a year! its obviously pissed you off, see if you find a friendly gestor in the next few weeks and see if they could check the 2 contracts for a fre drink or 2 and see what they come up with.
i know the place was rented through an estate agent, but is the owner registering his rental earnings? if not, you may have a slight upper hand.

we got ripped off in a rental a few years back, and some things went wrong with electricity problems, the basement flooding and leaks in the ceiling and bathroom (in a new build...) and a neighbour who went buck spastic about us having cats and threatened to poison them (the agent told us the urb was animal friendly), so we had to keep them indoors. in the end, we gave the owners a months notice, and moved out,as they werent legally renting the property anyway.
thing is the english 'version' holds no water legally, so it really doesn't matter if it's not clear

good point about the owner possibly not registering earnings though - might just be worth a chat
Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of 480 euro per year sounds a bit high for a rural property Although I do not know the area.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre

indeed! Hey we've only been here 3 weeks so its a learning curve, and weve learnt a lesson not to be repeated, at least we are only renting so we can get out of it eventually no bother (presumably)
we rented a total of about 6 properties while over in Spain, and in NONE of them did we have to pay anything more than utility bills, water, electricity and gas, where supplied, in some cases we only paid for the used electricity and gas, not the standing charge, as the owner would be paying that, even if there was no tenant. I suppose it depends on supply and demand, on the coast, plenty of places available for renting, so they have to keep the apparent costs down.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
we rented a total of about 6 properties while over in Spain, and in NONE of them did we have to pay anything more than utility bills, water, electricity and gas, where supplied, in some cases we only paid for the used electricity and gas, not the standing charge, as the owner would be paying that, even if there was no tenant. I suppose it depends on supply and demand, on the coast, plenty of places available for renting, so they have to keep the apparent costs down.
well hopefully if i can convince the Mujer, next year we can buy somewhere else, once we are more settled. It was ALWAYS going to be a risk choosing somewhere unseen on the net but we were put into a position where we had literally no choice, so be it i guess!

not a major disaster and could have been worse and yes i have learnt a lesson. It will do for now and least its onyl renting, we have no fear of bulldozers turning up tomorrow!

weve learnt from it, well i have anyway, and to be honest for an extra 10 euros a week we have to pay, taking the bitch to court would, from experience, cost me far more time and money than 10 euros a week.

es la vida, we wont do it again

Last edited by painterhombre; Sep 20th 2009 at 5:12 pm. Reason: aliens from space