Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Originally Posted by painterhombre
hey hold on sunshine, we're not stupid! THe contract we signed does not say anything about SUMA or taxes, it mentions the word "rates" which we presumed were water rates, and if its the norm that renters dont pay the suma, why would i think for one minute that we were going to have to pay it? The agent has stitched us up.
I would check the wording of the Spanish contract - often the translations into English are misleading to say the least

PM the relevant bits to me in both English & Spanish & I'll have a look if you like
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

hey hold on sunshine, we're not stupid! THe contract we signed does not say anything about SUMA or taxes, it mentions the word "rates" which we presumed were water rates, and if its the norm that renters dont pay the suma, why would i think for one minute that we were going to have to pay it? The agent has stitched us up.
SUMA Gestion Tributaria is the office or agency that collects the taxes. The IBI is possibly what they mean by "rates" which is a bit like the council tax in England, bills are issued annually and ours are in the region of €400 pa. As far as I know and someone will correct me if I'm wrong we don't have water rates in the campo, we just pay for the mains water, and from your past posts it sounds as if you are not on mains water. The other charge is the "basura" (rubbish collection) which is collected by the SUMA office. That around here is in the region of €55 p.a. Hope this explains things abit, but doesn't help with the fact they have added this into the contract whenever it is usually the owner of the property that is liable for the charge.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll
SUMA Gestion Tributaria is the office or agency that collects the taxes. The IBI is possibly what they mean by "rates" which is a bit like the council tax in England, bills are issued annually and ours are in the region of €400 pa. As far as I know and someone will correct me if I'm wrong we don't have water rates in the campo, we just pay for the mains water, and from your past posts it sounds as if you are not on mains water. The other charge is the "basura" (rubbish collection) which is collected by the SUMA office. That around here is in the region of €55 p.a. Hope this explains things abit, but doesn't help with the fact they have added this into the contract whenever it is usually the owner of the property that is liable for the charge.
hiya. yes i agree and youre correct also, but they have been sneaky really as nowhere on the contract does it say payment of SUMA is additional to the rent, and we did loads of research and 100% of what we found was the fact that the OWNER pays it, not the tenant. Approached estate agent and she said the following.....

regards the Suma, I have spoken to the solicitor and he has advised me that it is not the law in spain that you do not pay this, the law is that there is a tax on each property and the owner is liable, but if the owner rents the property and wishes the tenant to pay, and if it is in the contract that you have signed, then you are liable for them
the law only states they have to be paid, not by whom

I am sorry but it clearly states in the contract that you are liable and you must pay these, they normally come twice a year but (the owner) has made arrangements for them to be paid monthly which is better

any idea?

just off to Hondon in a minute funnily enough, to take a look around as we have my mom over from the uk at present.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

I never said or inferred you were stupid. You signed a Spanish contract without legal advice or third party translation for a property in a foreign country you apparently hadn't seen. If you are anything it's lucky.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by carter71
I never said or inferred you were stupid. You signed a Spanish contract without legal advice or third party translation for a property in a foreign country you apparently hadn't seen. If you are anything it's lucky.
fair comment, i know we should have done, i just thought you were inferring we were stupid. ok, no worries. We did as much research as we could have done before we left, and yes so far we have been lucky. Apart from the suma thing, the only other gripe with the house we rented without seeing it is its campo, an d she estate agent bitch led us to believe it was on the edge of town so my 8 year old is lonely with no kids to play with.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

think that sums it up mate......of course the owner is liable as its their property just as they would be for the mortgage on a property, but if it states it in the contract then really dont see what you can do about it after signing, I would assume "rates" would be equivilant to council tax and all associated charges with the house....things like this need to be negotiated prior to signing contracts...Im sure no one thinks you are stupid

its not the first time an agent lied, mislead or been economical with the truth and Im sure it wont be the last !!

hiya. yes i agree and youre correct also, but they have been sneaky really as nowhere on the contract does it say payment of SUMA is additional to the rent, and we did loads of research and 100% of what we found was the fact that the OWNER pays it, not the tenant. Approached estate agent and she said the following.....

regards the Suma, I have spoken to the solicitor and he has advised me that it is not the law in spain that you do not pay this, the law is that there is a tax on each property and the owner is liable, but if the owner rents the property and wishes the tenant to pay, and if it is in the contract that you have signed, then you are liable for them
the law only states they have to be paid, not by whom

I am sorry but it clearly states in the contract that you are liable and you must pay these, they normally come twice a year but (the owner) has made arrangements for them to be paid monthly which is better

any idea?

just off to Hondon in a minute funnily enough, to take a look around as we have my mom over from the uk at present.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
think that sums it up mate......of course the owner is liable as its their property just as they would be for the mortgage on a property, but if it states it in the contract then really dont see what you can do about it after signing, I would assume "rates" would be equivilant to council tax and all associated charges with the house....things like this need to be negotiated prior to signing contracts...Im sure no one thinks you are stupid

its not the first time an agent lied, mislead or been economical with the truth and Im sure it wont be the last !!
and of course all of us tenants are paying it anyway - just hidden or included in the rent

it's a bit off to add it later - depends exactly on the wording of the contract
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

exactly same as in UK.....we pay rent, utilities plus the council tax

Originally Posted by lynnxa
and of course all of us tenants are paying it anyway - just hidden or included in the rent

it's a bit off to add it later - depends exactly on the wording of the contract
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by spain
exactly same as in UK.....we pay rent, utilities plus the council tax
exactly
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, started renting a house here 3 weeks ago after coming from the UK. I read somewhere that if you are renting, you do not need to pay a SUMA (community tax), the owner of the house pays it, but the estate agent has told me we have to pay it. ok its only about 12 euros a week but thats not the point.

Anyone know if we are liable for council tax in spain if we only rent?
Sorry to come in late on this but .... all the contracts that we have with our tennants clearly state that the payments are; rent, electric, water and IBI. With some tennants, and only by agreement, we have allowed this to be taken from the finance at the end of the contract. In this way the tennant doesn't have to find the extra cash up-front.

Per the other poster, water rates are applicable in the 'campo' but are paid via the 'basthura' tax.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Sorry to come in late on this but .... all the contracts that we have with our tennants clearly state that the payments are; rent, electric, water and IBI. With some tennants, and only by agreement, we have allowed this to be taken from the finance at the end of the contract. In this way the tennant doesn't have to find the extra cash up-front.

Per the other poster, water rates are applicable in the 'campo' but are paid via the 'basthura' tax.
we should have rented from you then!!!!!!!

The contract is in english and Spanish. The english doesnt mention the tax, but surprise surprise, the spanish version does!!!!!

oh well, weve learnt a lesson and will be more careful in future. Thanks also to lynn for taking a look at it for us.

its only an extra 40 a month or whatever but with the sh*** exchange rate it does make a difference, but oh well, such is life................
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

in fact i would love to name and shame the estate agent but probably not allowed to.

would a mod comment on that?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

The contract is in english and Spanish. The english doesnt mention the tax, but surprise surprise, the spanish version does!!!!!

oh well, weve learnt a lesson and will be more careful in future. Thanks also to lynn for taking a look at it for us.
At least you've found someone who can do a third party translation BEFORE you sign next time!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carter71
At least you've found someone who can do a third party translation BEFORE you sign next time!

indeed! Hey we've only been here 3 weeks so its a learning curve, and weve learnt a lesson not to be repeated, at least we are only renting so we can get out of it eventually no bother (presumably)
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nah thats not allowed... but you could do it anyway...whats the worse that could happen, they will delete the post ?¿?¿?¿?¿

in fact i would love to name and shame the estate agent but probably not allowed to.

would a mod comment on that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.