Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Hi, started renting a house here 3 weeks ago after coming from the UK. I read somewhere that if you are renting, you do not need to pay a SUMA (community tax), the owner of the house pays it, but the estate agent has told me we have to pay it. ok its only about 12 euros a week but thats not the point.

Anyone know if we are liable for council tax in spain if we only rent?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

Originally Posted by painterhombre
Hi, started renting a house here 3 weeks ago after coming from the UK. I read somewhere that if you are renting, you do not need to pay a SUMA (community tax), the owner of the house pays it, but the estate agent has told me we have to pay it. ok its only about 12 euros a week but thats not the point.

Anyone know if we are liable for council tax in spain if we only rent?
You are not liable for council tax in Spain if you rent, only if you own

Whether you may community fees (but not a tax) will depend on your agreement with the landlord, but normally he will pay these too
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Re: Do i have to pay a SUMA (council tax) if i rent a house or only if we owned it?

blimmin estate agent has worded the contract we signed as us being liable for "all charges for rates, gas, water, electricity....." (etc), in no bit does it say being liable for the SUMA or the tax on the house, but the agent has told us that the it was agreed with the landlord that we pay the rates also!!!!

dont know what i can do. Its only 40 odd euros but thats not the point.

anyone have any ideas or have we been stitched up?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

blimmin estate agent has worded the contract we signed as us being liable for "all charges for rates, gas, water, electricity....." (etc), in no bit does it say being liable for the SUMA or the tax on the house, but the agent has told us that the it was agreed with the landlord that we pay the rates also!!!!

You have been stitched - SUMA is a tax - if contract is in English only it's not valid if that is any help to you??? We do actually pay the basura (rubbish) and the SUMA for our Landlord because they are not in the country but our agreement is that we deduct it from that month's rent.

P.S. We also do not pay the community fees

Last edited by SueG; Sep 17th 2009 at 4:55 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We don`t pay any fees, just pay rent, elec, water and bottles of gas.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
We don`t pay any fees, just pay rent, elec, water and bottles of gas.
RIGHT SO I'VE BEEN FLEECED.

OOps sorry caps

what can i do about it? If i kick up, will they just boot us out?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

have we been stitched up?
Yes.

I've rented the whole time I've lived in Spain and never paid anything but water, electricity and phone.

Did you not discuss the terms of the contract with the agent when you first did the viewing? I've always found Spanish agents to be quite up front about these things - but you need to ask because each one is different.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

RIGHT SO I'VE BEEN FLEECED.

OOps sorry caps

what can i do about it? If i kick up, will they just boot us out?
Anything is worth a try - me personally I would kick up (what language is the contract in first?)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

contract is in english and spanish.

We signed before viewing the house, we knew it was a risk, and hey to be fair, the house was "almost" as described, although much further in the campo than we wanted, and its only an extra 40 euros a month, but nevertheless, not happy but i can see kicking up causing more hassle than 40 euros a month, HOWEVER if i can do something about it will.

prob is, the agent is, to be frank , a lying cheating scumbag, but the actual owners (who seem ok actually) dont like here either but they are tied into a contract with her too!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

We signed before viewing the house, we knew it was a risk, and hey to be fair, the house was "almost" as described, although much further in the campo than we wanted, and its only an extra 40 euros a month, but nevertheless, not happy but i can see kicking up causing more hassle than 40 euros a month, HOWEVER if i can do something about it will.

prob is, the agent is, to be frank , a lying cheating scumbag, but the actual owners (who seem ok actually) dont like here either but they are tied into a contract with her too!
Welcome to Spain!!!! Never mind look around for something when your contract ends!!! You can normally break your contract - perhaps by giving the required notice.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SueG
Welcome to Spain!!!! Never mind look around for something when your contract ends!!! You can normally break your contract - perhaps by giving the required notice.

dont tempt me!!!

nah seriously, paintermujer loves it here, so i will watch what i say, and to be fair, it is nice and has its good bits for sure, its just not quite what we thought we were going to, & a lot further away from civilisation than we hoped. We have our 8 year old and she is so lonely sometimes it breaks my heart it really does and as we are in the campo, theres no kids for her to play with.

But she has started (spanish) school so hopefully she will find a few but of course they all live 5 or 6 kms away in the town (Aspe)

but we've moved many times in the UK and dont want to do that here too! I dont know. the owners say they will sell it in 12 months (if they can) when our tenancy officially "ends", but im not sure yet if i would buy it, i guess i am picky and i want the best for my family and i wanted nearer to other people (but not "in yer face"), and somewhere we could at least walk to bars, restauante etc, but theres nowt here and most of the places are spanish weekend homes so its pretty dead.......

but, again, its still really nice, but long term?? no se
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

IMO thats why I always say people with kids should be in town/village....we did the same when we first moved over, lovely villa but no one around, a year later we moved 5 mins into the village and wow what a change for our son...its far better for them to be close to their friends and school esp when first moving over

hope she settles and makes friends quickly, expect you will be a taxi service running her around in no time

its just not quite what we thought we were going to, & a lot further away from civilisation than we hoped. We have our 8 year old and she is so lonely sometimes it breaks my heart it really does and as we are in the campo, theres no kids for her to play with.

But she has started (spanish) school so hopefully she will find a few but of course they all live 5 or 6 kms away in the town (Aspe)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

suppose if thats the contract you agreed and signed theres not much you can do about it now...if the owner is amicable maybe you could sort it out with her direct and poss negotiate something ?

Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

You did a silly thing, and have learned a valuable lesson. You were lucky that it isn't an expensive lesson. Be careful what you sign and who you trust.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carter71
You did a silly thing, and have learned a valuable lesson. You were lucky that it isn't an expensive lesson. Be careful what you sign and who you trust.
hey hold on sunshine, we're not stupid! THe contract we signed does not say anything about SUMA or taxes, it mentions the word "rates" which we presumed were water rates, and if its the norm that renters dont pay the suma, why would i think for one minute that we were going to have to pay it? The agent has stitched us up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.