Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crime in Spain - Is that Bad ???

Crime in Spain - Is that Bad ???

Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:16 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Crime in Spain - Is that Bad ???

This one should run a bit !!! REMEMBER THOUGH that CRIME IS A WORLDWIDE ISSUE and NOT JUST IN SPAIN !!! PERSPECTIVE PLEASE

PLUS WE IMPORT CRIME - I do not believe for one minute that it's always the Moroccans or eastern Europeans - I'm fairly confident the odd Ex-pat partakes in crime, dodgy deals, tax evasion, floating driving laws, planning permission and stealing (ahem!! builder's materials )...

Only the other day a neighbour had her pool pump stolen in the night (house is unoccupied most of the time ) !!! And rumour is that it's someone local !!!

The "have-nots" (or unscrupulous) will always take from the "haves" wherever you leave temptation.

I'm not a religious man but "let those that have not sinned.... " comes to mind.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:43 am
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crime in Spain - Is that Bad ???

It depends where you live. I leave my house unlocked all day, my laptop unattended on the porch, never lock the cars, cultivator, mixer, strimmer, etc outdoors and have not had a theft in 7 years. The opposite end of the spectrum, of course, is Torrevieja which, per capita, is the crime capital of Spain.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by correveidile
It depends where you live. I leave my house unlocked all day, my laptop unattended on the porch, never lock the cars, cultivator, mixer, strimmer, etc outdoors and have not had a theft in 7 years. The opposite end of the spectrum, of course, is Torrevieja which, per capita, is the crime capital of Spain.
Me too - tempting fate to mention it, but my OH has palpitations when I say I've gone out in the car & not only is the house unlocked but the doors wide open & sometimes the laptop on the outside table! Only place I ever had something stolen from in the country was an ornamental cherry tree (yes, you read right) towed out of the ground outside our house in Suffolk.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:36 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by correveidile
In it´s defence, Torrevieja has calmed down a lot. I live in Playa Flamenca and we have no trouble here. It´s like any urban area, you have your nice parts and your not so nice parts.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
This one should run a bit !!! REMEMBER THOUGH that CRIME IS A WORLDWIDE ISSUE and NOT JUST IN SPAIN !!! PERSPECTIVE PLEASE

PLUS WE IMPORT CRIME - I do not believe for one minute that it's always the Moroccans or eastern Europeans - I'm fairly confident the odd Ex-pat partakes in crime, dodgy deals, tax evasion, floating driving laws, planning permission and stealing (ahem!! builder's materials )...

Only the other day a neighbour had her pool pump stolen in the night (house is unoccupied most of the time ) !!! And rumour is that it's someone local !!!

The "have-nots" (or unscrupulous) will always take from the "haves" wherever you leave temptation.

I'm not a religious man but "let those that have not sinned.... " comes to mind.
You missed out the Spanish, many think ex-pats are rich and fair game.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

chilli33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its the bloody police .... they commit minor crimes against extranjeros all the time

VERY recently a friend was looking at 3 month in jail because he had a NZ driving license and even tho he has spanish friends to help ... they put him in jail with court the next day.... eventually it did get sorted but they just don't listen to you ... you're guilty unitil proved otherwise.

they regularly commit abuses of power...it's like a natural thing with them :curse:
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:07 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Somebody I know was burgled a month ago - they woke up feeling sick and had been gassed - it's that sort of crime that concerns me because I've not heard of that in the UK.

When you have a young family those sorts of stories do worry you.

I wonder with the credit crisis turning into a depression what effect that will have - just how desperate will people become? Will people end up leaving Spain becuase of a huge surge in violent crime?

How do people think the police are doing? Are they getting a handle on the crimespots?

Mark
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli33
Its the bloody police .... they commit minor crimes against extranjeros all the time

VERY recently a friend was looking at 3 month in jail because he had a NZ driving license and even tho he has spanish friends to help ... they put him in jail with court the next day.... eventually it did get sorted but they just don't listen to you ... you're guilty unitil proved otherwise.

they regularly commit abuses of power...it's like a natural thing with them :curse:
Only a Euro licence is valid, others need a driving permit accompaniment and then they can only be used for a certain amount of time, then they would have to take a Spanish test.
Driving without a licence has been moved up to a criminal offence and a possible jail sentence.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
Somebody I know was burgled a month ago - they woke up feeling sick and had been gassed - it's that sort of crime that concerns me because I've not heard of that in the UK.

When you have a young family those sorts of stories do worry you.

I wonder with the credit crisis turning into a depression what effect that will have - just how desperate will people become? Will people end up leaving Spain becuase of a huge surge in violent crime?

How do people think the police are doing? Are they getting a handle on the crimespots?

Mark
There have been other threads on this gassing rubbish, do a search.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Mark[/QUOTE]

Isn't that one of the reasons why many people have left or are leaving the U.K.?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

But people are fighting back.... HERE
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:10 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
There have been other threads on this gassing rubbish, do a search.
gassing is a popular and highly effective way to steal.you administer the gas through any vents whilst they are sleeping.then they dont wake up while they are getting robbed.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That's a load of rubbish, an internet myth. Has been debunked lots of time including on this forum.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im always telling people I have heard of little crime since we have been here last several years, but this week there has been a spate of burglaries on the mountain .... its regrettably being put down to the fruit pickers
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Crime in Spain - Is that Bad ???

Originally Posted by GrapeEater

Could it be the other way round? The "haves" (or unscrupulous) will always take from the "have nots" where ever you leave temptation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.