Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Could it happen here?

Could it happen here?

Old May 7th 2010, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could it happen here?

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
The United Arab Emirates

United Arab Emirates boasts one of the world’s fastest-growing economies. The UK’s Guardian calls it the home of the “Arabian Dream,” the world’s new version of the American dream.

The UAE’s international problems revolve more around money laundering than the US financial crisis which must be a good sign.

Jim
You've not been following Dubai's problems over the past few years then?

Your right in that Dubai was built on criminal money, but they are really struggling at the minute to finish off their building, including the rediculous "The world" private island resort.

I repeat, China! Seriously - they are looking for people with skills from the West, pay well and have it is relatively cheap to live in the cities there.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:30 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Your right in that Dubai was built on criminal money, but they are really struggling at the minute to finish off their building, including the rediculous "The world" private island resort.

I repeat, China! Seriously - they are looking for people with skills from the West, pay well and have it is relatively cheap to live in the cities there.
Looks like the are in deep sh!t with their new resorts in more ways than one.
Apparently they made a bit of a c0ck up with the sewerage arrangements and the fowl stuff is coming back to haunt them, by floating straight back up onto their lovely new beaches,.....nice..eh what?..
Think I'll stick to Blackpool.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought I'd agree with CM, but yes, it would seem the party is almost over in Dubai, Abu Dhabi has already come to try and rescue them by pumping billions into the place.
Old May 7th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
But Dubai is not the UAE. It may be one of the two biggest Emirates but the other, Abu Dhabi controls 8% of the worlds oil.

Abu Dhabi, which also controls the UAE's presidency, has directly and indirectly provided Dubai with $25 billion over the past year, mostly by buying Dubai bonds. Which has caused stock markets in both Emirates to soar.

So you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Jim
Old May 7th 2010, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

But Dubai is not the UAE.

Jim
No, but it's certainly a big part of it, it has the most inhabitants, so it's worth a mention. And like may other countries, it's struggling.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
No, but it's certainly a big part of it, it has the most inhabitants, so it's worth a mention. And like may other countries, it's struggling.
2009 Population of UAE 6 Million

2009 Population of Dubai 1.6 Million

2009 Non Dubai Population 4.4 Million

I didn't say the Dubai population was insignificant I merely pointed out that Abu Dhabi was the richest Emirate and was, to an extent, supporting Dubai. If anything I should be taken to task for ignoring the remaining 50 per cent of the population.

The population of Dubai grew by 7.32 per cent in 2009 to reach 1,770,978, the Dubai Statistics Centre (DSC) has revealed.

This contradicts the widespread belief that the construction slowdown led to a fall in the level of population growth. A DSC official said the growth rate had remained steady over the past few years so perhaps its not so bad as some of us would like to think.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; May 7th 2010 at 9:49 pm.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:04 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding like Cricketman I have friends who have handed their keys back to the bank and left. (Dubai) The place is a train crash. I have been there last year. The Islands are being reclaimed by the sea and the expensive villas are poorly built and crumbling. Jobs too. It is too hot in summer to do anything but go from one air-con building to another. Wine about 8-10 euro per glass and the gear in the shopping malls is more expensive than London.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:14 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

2009 Population of UAE 6 Million

2009 Population of Dubai 1.6 Million

2009 Non Dubai Population 4.4 Million

I didn't say the Dubai population was insignificant I merely pointed out that Abu Dhabi was the richest Emirate and was, to an extent, supporting Dubai. If anything I should be taken to task for ignoring the remaining 50 per cent of the population.

The population of Dubai grew by 7.32 per cent in 2009 to reach 1,770,978, the Dubai Statistics Centre (DSC) has revealed.

This contradicts the widespread belief that the construction slowdown led to a fall in the level of population growth. A DSC official said the growth rate had remained steady over the past few years so perhaps its not so bad as some of us would like to think.

Jim
I love your facts and stats.. Brilliant. I learn loads off your posts..
Old May 7th 2010, 10:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I love your facts and stats.. Brilliant. I learn loads off your posts..
So now what you have to do is just casually drop them in the conversation.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:36 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JLFS
So now what you have to do is just casually drop them in the conversation.
Yeah, my friends think I'm really clever. They don't realize I have little print outs of everyones posts in my pocket.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:42 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by agoreira
embarrasment ? What all your spelling mistakes? If you are not already, once you become time qualified you can take Spanish citizenship , problem over!
What an absoloutely arrogant pig headed man. I can't stand this idiot, why does he always try to pick on people he thinks are not as clever or rich as he is. I say thinks. Your dragging the level down buddy..
Old May 8th 2010, 6:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who still has family in Dubai I can honestly say that while a big bubble has burst there is still a lot of wealth in Dubai and money to be made. It was never going to be a huge fall, they couldn't allow that to happen and we all have to remember that there are a lot of politics to play in the UAE and a hell of a lot of one upmanship....
Old May 8th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
What an absoloutely arrogant pig headed man. I can't stand this idiot, why does he always try to pick on people he thinks are not as clever or rich as he is. I say thinks. Your dragging the level down buddy..
Mainly because he's not what he claims to be ! The spelling mistakes he refered to were in fact typo's, not actual spelling mistakes !

Pointless nit picking is one of the classic loser signs, along with the inability to stand correction when wrong. The desire to put other's down, not being happy in ones location, (he appears to hate Spain & the Spanish), are all signs of an insecure individual !

As for not being as clever or rich, I'm far smarter than he will ever be. He has a complete inability to interprete what people are trying to say in their posts, and starts pointless arguments as a consequence. In terms of wealth, well, discussing that or being showy just shows a lack of breeding, and very likely an empty wallet !

Old English saying ; "An empty vessel makes the most noise"

Anyway he's in the troll pen, (ignore list), now, so won't be hearing from him again !
Old May 8th 2010, 11:23 am
HOODIE

Originally Posted by savateur
Mainly because he's not what he claims to be ! The spelling mistakes he refered to were in fact typo's, not actual spelling mistakes !

Pointless nit picking is one of the classic loser signs, along with the inability to stand correction when wrong. The desire to put other's down, not being happy in ones location, (he appears to hate Spain & the Spanish), are all signs of an insecure individual !

As for not being as clever or rich, I'm far smarter than he will ever be. He has a complete inability to interprete what people are trying to say in their posts, and starts pointless arguments as a consequence. In terms of wealth, well, discussing that or being showy just shows a lack of breeding, and very likely an empty wallet !

Old English saying ; "An empty vessel makes the most noise"

Anyway he's in the troll pen, (ignore list), now, so won't be hearing from him again !
Excellent news, and an excellent statement. Well said.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:00 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

How old are the last two posters...14?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.