Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:14 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking helpline for ex pats

That sounds delicious Sam, I've written it down and will try that. Never tried Panga before, in fact never heard of it but will look out for it.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly, panga is also sometimes referred to as "gallo" - which can be a bit confusing, because that means "cockerel"/"rooster!"

I've only ever seen it in fillets, which suits me fine as I don't like to see fish with the head left on! (I'm very squeamish)
It's a creamy white colour, and not very thick (hence why it can break up or catch in the pan easily)
It doesn't have a huge amount of flavour - something else I like, because stupid enough as it sounds, I'm not keen on "fishy" tasty fish!!

Hope you can find some and try it sometime?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:47 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
If I remember rightly, panga is also sometimes referred to as "gallo" - which can be a bit confusing, because that means "cockerel"/"rooster!"

I've only ever seen it in fillets, which suits me fine as I don't like to see fish with the head left on! (I'm very squeamish)
It's a creamy white colour, and not very thick (hence why it can break up or catch in the pan easily)
It doesn't have a huge amount of flavour - something else I like, because stupid enough as it sounds, I'm not keen on "fishy" tasty fish!!

Hope you can find some and try it sometime?
I will definitely try and find it Sam. I don't eat meat but love fish - got a passion for peppered mackerel at the moment the thing with fish is that it's easy to cook and depending what it's cooked with or accompanied with all fish is scrummy to me.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lionda
I will definitely try and find it Sam. I don't eat meat but love fish - got a passion for peppered mackerel at the moment the thing with fish is that it's easy to cook and depending what it's cooked with or accompanied with all fish is scrummy to me.
For all alcoholics out there, use up your lemons with this recipe........
Limoncillo

1 liter of pure alcohol (aguardiente)
1 kilo of sugar
1 and 1/2 litres of water (the half is used to rinse the peel)
12 lemons (just the rind and not the white part or the result will be bitter)

Put the alcohol and lemon peel in a jar for 10-12 days in an air tight container. Place the jar in a dark place.

After 10-12 days make a syrup of 1 litre of water and 1 kilo of sugar; heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Drain alcohol from peelings and pour into sugar water. Take the other 1/2 litre of water and rinse the peel and pour the water into the alcohol and sugar water. Mix well, bottle, and enjoy. You can freeze it too so it´s nice and cold.

Last edited by Lis48; Mar 14th 2007 at 9:43 pm. Reason: typos
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:50 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lis48
For all alcoholics out there, use up your lemons with this recipe........
Limoncillo

1 liter of pure alcohol (aguardiente)
1 kilo of sugar
1 and 1/2 litres of water (the half is used to rinse the peel)
12 lemons (just the rind and not the white part or the result will be bitter)

Put the alcohol and lemon peel in a jar for 10-12 days in an air tight container. Place the jar in a dark place.

After 10-12 days make a syrup of 1 litre of water and 1 kilo of sugar; heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Drain alcohol from peelings and pour into sugar water. Take the other 1/2 litre of water and rinse the peel and pour the water into the alcohol and sugar water. Mix well, bottle, and enjoy. You can freeze it too so it´s nice and cold.

This sounds like my cup of tea, I'm already looking for the bottles to put it in
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

[I don't eat meat but love fish]

Snap!
Looks like we'll have to swap some fish recipes then, Lionda!

Do you like crab sticks?
I can get 24 for a Euro here!!
Particularly in the summer, I eat loads of them - with salad, jacket potatoes, in a bocadillo - any which way!

Maybe I like them so much because I'm a Cancerian?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:18 am

Something good to go with any white fish is tagliatelle and mushroom sauce.

Use either dried or fresh tagliatelle cook as directed on packet, either make your own mushroom sauce or buy a packet and follow direction. Gently cook fillet of any white fish in a small amount of milk, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan this will only need a few mins each side to poach. When pasta has cooked, drain and add the sauce to it giving the pasta a really good toss. Then heap pasta on to plates and add your fish fillet on the top, we had this today using Panga fun enough it was the first time I had seen it in our local shop I can really recommend this dish it is so simple to make yet so yummy and very filling so a little can go a long way. You can have a really healthy side salad with it if you have peeps for lunch and it will go even futher.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Mmmm! That sounds tasty (and healthy) Crispygirl

I guess you could use a cheese sauce too?
Or cheese AND mushroom............two of my favourite ingredients!

Will give your idea a try, thanks

Sam.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Here's another quick but filling idea.
(Afraid I don't do quantities - I just chuck it all in the pan until it's full, and anything left over I freeze. Means I can have a lazy meal sometimes, which means more time in the sun!)

Fry mushrooms and onions
Add a generous quantity of cider
Add even more generous quantity of cream (cooking cream is slightly cheaper, but pouring cream does the job too)

Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly.

If, like me, you don't eat meat - add cashew nuts to the mixture.
Otherwise, add small chunks of chicken.

Serve on a bed of rice or pasta (looks especially nice on tri-colour pasta!

Granted, with the cream it's not all that healthy, but it is a tasty meal.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:14 pm

Mango and Chilli Salsa

This is really great to go with your BBQ or spicy food.
1 Red Onion
1 Ripe Mango
1 Beefy Tom
1 Small Chilli
1 Lime
Olive Oil
Sugar

Dice finely red onion, ripe mango, beefy tom and chilli (any colour red, green, orange I have a plant in the garden and I pick whatever one I fancy for the colour) put all this into a bowl then add the juice of the lime, a good slug of extra virgin olive oil, and about two desert spoons of sugar. Give it all a good mix at this point you could taste to see if you need to doctor it for your taste. Cover with cling film or put into an air tight container pop in the fridge for a couple of hours before you use it. Again I would taste before serving because the flavour will have changed, and this is really good if left until the next day because then it is really SALSA...

You can use lazy chilli for this and only you will know how much of that you can take.

This mango salsa also can be added to couscous to make a more substantial accompaniment to your meal.

Cook the couscous as directed on the packet before you cook it add 1/2 teaspoon each of ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon and if you have it mix spice ( you can buy jars of couscous flavouring but I prefer this) also add a handful of sultanas or any dried fruit. Right now you can cook it all together, when it is ready add this to the mango and chilli salsa give a good mix and then add some pinenuts to it. pinenuts are best if you heat a flat bottom pan and then dry fry the nuts just until the oil in them sorts to appear.

This couscous mixture also goes so oh so well with roasted veg.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:17 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Mango and Chilli Salsa

This is really great to go with your BBQ or spicy food.
1 Red Onion
1 Ripe Mango
1 Beefy Tom
1 Small Chilli
1 Lime
Olive Oil
Sugar

Dice finely red onion, ripe mango, beefy tom and chilli (any colour red, green, orange I have a plant in the garden and I pick whatever one I fancy for the colour) put all this into a bowl then add the juice of the lime, a good slug of extra virgin olive oil, and about two desert spoons of sugar. Give it all a good mix at this point you could taste to see if you need to doctor it for your taste. Cover with cling film or put into an air tight container pop in the fridge for a couple of hours before you use it. Again I would taste before serving because the flavour will have changed, and this is really good if left until the next day because then it is really SALSA...

You can use lazy chilli for this and only you will know how much of that you can take.

This mango salsa also can be added to couscous to make a more substantial accompaniment to your meal.

Cook the couscous as directed on the packet before you cook it add 1/2 teaspoon each of ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon and if you have it mix spice ( you can buy jars of couscous flavouring but I prefer this) also add a handful of sultanas or any dried fruit. Right now you can cook it all together, when it is ready add this to the mango and chilli salsa give a good mix and then add some pinenuts to it. pinenuts are best if you heat a flat bottom pan and then dry fry the nuts just until the oil in them sorts to appear.

This couscous mixture also goes so oh so well with roasted veg.
Saw packets of couscous 2 for price of 1 in Morrisons last week. Never tried it though so didn't buy any. Wondering now if I should get some
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by brisca
Here's another quick but filling idea.
(Afraid I don't do quantities - I just chuck it all in the pan until it's full, and anything left over I freeze. Means I can have a lazy meal sometimes, which means more time in the sun!)

Fry mushrooms and onions
Add a generous quantity of cider
Add even more generous quantity of cream (cooking cream is slightly cheaper, but pouring cream does the job too)

Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly.

If, like me, you don't eat meat - add cashew nuts to the mixture.
Otherwise, add small chunks of chicken.

Serve on a bed of rice or pasta (looks especially nice on tri-colour pasta!

Granted, with the cream it's not all that healthy, but it is a tasty meal.

Brisca this sounds great, and I will add this to my summer taps menu, I do something simular which is also really good and goes down a treat on toast for supper.

Fry loads of chopped garlic, onion and mushrooms in a little butter and oil (stops the butter going brown). When they are slightly browned add a good slug of dry sherry and then just let this simmer away until everything is really soft and the juice has thicken. You can add some cream to it just before you serve it up.

You can use chicken livers or halved small kidneys (I don't mean you Brisca) instead of mushroom I tell you even if you don't like chicken liver you will love this. Even my girls eat it and they just do not do offal. Just had a thought, I used to cooked chicken livers and kidney's like this for my old mum before she passed away, she loved them because they had so much flavour and there was very little work in chewing them to get it to go down.

Last edited by crispy; Mar 15th 2007 at 1:34 pm. Reason: add my thought
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda
Saw packets of couscous 2 for price of 1 in Morrisons last week. Never tried it though so didn't buy any. Wondering now if I should get some
Hi Lionda It can taste quite bland on it's own so you really need to add taste to it, I think the best way to get a taste for couscous is to buy the ready flavoured ones that most supermarket in the UK sell, follow instructions on the box and I am sure you will like. It make a great change in both winter and summer months to potato, rice and pasta. I also use cracked wheat, and barley, Barley is good for you and it has a low GI but I must admit I use this when we are having a tasty casserole as it to can be tasteless on it own. As for the cracked wheat I just chop what ever I have in the fridge in the way of veg and fruit and make a salad from it.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:44 pm

As you maybe able to tell I am not a busy girl to day.

OK know please, please, please do not be put off by the name after all it is only pork:

PIGS CHEEKS IN RED WINE AND PORT SAUCE

Pigs Cheeks - now I have only ever found these in Mercadona they cost about 6 euros and you will find them in the pre packed meat and they look like little fluffy cheeks! about 6 in a packet.

Cube the cheeks and give then a quick fry in some oil to seal them.
Put them into a casserole dish and add
one good glass of red win
one good glass port
a chopped onion
and some sliced red peppers, I use the tinned or jars as it saves time.
Now put a lid on and pop into the oven about 150 and let this braze away for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours but make sure you take it out every now and then and give a stir. If you think it is getting to thick and rich then you can of course add some water to it. After 2 1/2 hours it should be ready but taste and if the meat still appears a little chewy then cook a little longer.

I would serve this with a really tasty couscous, such as a packet of mediterranean or roast toms, you can if you are lucky pick this up in super markets here in Spain. If not follow the recipe I posted previously for couscous and also roast veg, such as sweet potato, carrots, peppers, red onions, mushroom. whatever you have really, Cut veg into nice size chunks put in bowl add a pinch of sea salt, pepper and some spice's if you want and a slug of olive oil. Toss this about a bit and then roast in the oven until tender about 45 mins.

Again I have given this to very fussy peeps and not told them what it was until after they had eaten their seconds. Remember eat with your mouth and taste buds not with your eyes.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Nooooo they sound gross ;-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.