British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Cooking helpline for ex pats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cooking-helpline-ex-pats-426798/)

mrsjdr Feb 14th 2007 5:51 pm

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Hi guys, just a thought, may sound VERY boring, but why not have a thread where we can help each other? i.e., ingredients, recipes etc., yes I know on the Forum Village I am the W.I leader,and should be the bright spark on this subject, but in real life just an ordinary ex pat, but after all the things posted on the other threads, i.e. what flour to use, paella etc., etc., thought it may help

gallerie9 Feb 14th 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Cooking helpline for ex pats

Originally Posted by mrsjdr (Post 4404836)
Hi guys, just a thought, may sound VERY boring, but why not have a thread where we can help each other? i.e., ingredients, recipes etc., yes I know on the Forum Village I am the W.I leader,and should be the bright spark on this subject, but in real life just an ordinary ex pat, but after all the things posted on the other threads, i.e. what flour to use, paella etc., etc., thought it may help

Thats a great idea
What is self raising flour called ?
and where can I buy suet ? and what is it called if I can ?

crispy Feb 14th 2007 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by mrsjdr (Post 4404836)

Good idea, just one thing I don't do weights and measures I'm a bit sling it in and hope but have been doing so for over 40 years so may be helpful.

Mitzyboy Feb 14th 2007 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 4404900)
?

Harina Superior de Trigo con Levadura

See, bet you didn't expect to get that from me!!! :)

crispy Feb 14th 2007 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by gallerie9 (Post 4404900)
Thats a great idea
and where can I buy suet ? and what is it called if I can ?

The only suet I have seen has been in the English shops here in Chiclana, Morrison's and I think I have seen it in Supersol near Rana Verde/Los Gallos (maybe wrong there will have to check) Called suet. Don't know what Self Raising is called but yesterday when I was Eroksi I came across the flour I mention in a previous thread, it is an pale orange and white back with a sponge cake on the front. Sorry I'm not really being very helpful am I...

crispy Feb 14th 2007 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4404910)
Harina Superior de Trigo con Levadura

See, bet you didn't expect to get that from me!!! :)

I'm well impressed you put me to shame, I have never been good with names

mrsjdr Feb 14th 2007 9:52 pm

Well, we are all learning something already ! I am the same as you Crispygirl, I start off following a recipe, but just as a guide line, tend to just add everything till it feels, looks and tastes right! My first paella was like that, but it was advice from you and others on this forum that helped, and I did add the juice of an orange, happy baking :)

maryann Feb 15th 2007 5:17 am

This is an excerlent idea, I am such a novice in the kitchen, but i bake all the time. all i tend to do at the moment is mash baby food, so I can give the best advice on feeding a baby in spain!!!!!! ( the potatoes are a bit floury so give them a good soak and rinse before boiling) This helps get rid of the stodgyness and the baby will spit less food out! Thus improving your confidence on your culinary skills!
I shall go 'flour' hunting now as well

love

mary

mrsjdr Feb 15th 2007 10:45 am

Lots of baby feeding tips would be good Maryann, have a 9 month old grandaughter, and she loves her food!

crispy Feb 20th 2007 11:06 pm

Hi Peeps, I cam across this handy tip for Jacket Potatoes one day last week I thought I would tell you about it.

HOW TO ACHIEVE REALLY TASTY, HOT JACKET POTATOES:

When cooking jacket potatoes just remember this golden rule - make sure you put them in the oven and not in the cupboard.....:confused:

One day last week I thought we will have Jacket spuds with our steak, turned the oven on, washed the spuds put them in the oven or so I thought; about and hour later I thought OH spuds, opened up the oven and NO SPUDS.
Spent the next 10 mins thinking I going mad and eventually found them in a cupboard. Thankfully I have done this before with other things (ashtray in fridge, jam jar in micro wave, Christmas Crackers in the freezer) so I was not to worried when I came across them, I was just so please I really thought I was loosing it.;)

maryann Feb 21st 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4435266)
Hi Peeps, I cam across this handy tip for Jacket Potatoes one day last week I thought I would tell you about it.

When cooking jacket potatoes just remember this golden rule - make sure you put them in the oven and not in the cupboard.....:confused:

One day last week I thought we will have Jacket spuds with our steak, turned the oven on, washed the spuds put them in the oven or so I thought; about and hour later I thought OH spuds, opened up the oven and NO SPUDS.
Spent the next 10 mins thinking I going mad and eventually found them in a cupboard. Thankfully I have done this before with other things (ashtray in fridge, jam jar in micro wave, Christmas Crackers in the freezer) so I was not to worried when I came across them, I was just so please I really thought I was loosing it.;)

I am glad its not my baby brain that makes me do that........it must be because i am a frustrated would be blonde had I not been born brunette!

crispy Feb 21st 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by maryann (Post 4436586)
I am glad its not my baby brain that makes me do that........it must be because i am a frustrated would be blonde had I not been born brunette!

I remember one of the doctors I worked with giving me dodgy info, but a women's brain shirks when pregnant:ohmy: I have a feeling mine never bounced back after each baby I think the old brain is the size of a pea by now, hence the saying pea brain.:lol: To make matters worse I am blond:confused: well when I say blond I am when I come back from the hairdressers.

mrsjdr Feb 21st 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4435266)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Doing jacket spuds tonight, must remember to put them in the oven then ! Must be blonde moments, same as you, or is it age???? Sounds better to have a blonde moment I think :confused:

Lionda Feb 21st 2007 5:52 pm

Now here's a thought......what should I bring over (i.e. items difficult to find or more expensive) when we finally move over :huh:

jdr Feb 21st 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4438413)
Now here's a thought......what should I bring over (i.e. items difficult to find or more expensive) when we finally move over :huh:

Nothing, the Spanish equivalent are cheaper. Maybe ginger marmalade if you like it ;-)