Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:53 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cooking helpline for ex pats

still no luck getting really despondent now!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
still no luck getting really despondent now!
can you still come in October though?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:30 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
can you still come in October though?
not unless we sell the house
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how to make a masala sauce to go with salmon. Whilst in London I went to this wonderful Indian restaurant which served it and it was out of this world. Definitely not a tikka masala though.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:51 pm
Fed up in England!!

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Does anyone know how to make a masala sauce to go with salmon. Whilst in London I went to this wonderful Indian restaurant which served it and it was out of this world. Definitely not a tikka masala though.
was it a sauce? or was it spiced with masala spices? I had the most delicious masala prawns in India, , just had the spices put on and grilled, still makes my mouth water when i think of it!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:59 pm
Fed up in England!!

had a search on internet,no luck, i will ring my indian friends to try and find a recipe
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

No I couldn´t find it on the internet. It was definitely a sauce but and served more on the side. Best thing I have tasted. The restaurant served very modern Indian food and was fabulous.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 5:48 pm
Fed up in England!!

try this:
1-1/4 cups ghee or vegetable oil 5 tablespoons garlic puree 4 tablespoons ginger puree
1 full recipe onion puree 6 tablespoons tomato puree 1 teaspoon salt
SPICES: 2 tablespoons turmeric 4 tablespoon mild curry powder (store-bought or homemade) 1-6 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne) (to taste)
2 tablespoons ground cumin seeds 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1 Mix the spices with water to make a paste that has the approximate consistency of tomato ketchup.
2 Heat the oil. Stir-fry the garlic puree for 3 minutes, then add the ginger puree and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the spice paste and stir-fry until the water has evaporated and the oil separates, about 5 minutes. Should it need it, add enough water to make the sauce pourable.
3 Add the onion puree and stir-fry for another 10 minutes. Then add the tomato puree and stir-fry for a final 10 minutes. Add the salt.
4 Place into 10 containers and freeze.
5 Makes enough sauce for 10 curries (40 portions).
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by silverchick
try this:
1-1/4 cups ghee or vegetable oil 5 tablespoons garlic puree 4 tablespoons ginger puree
1 full recipe onion puree 6 tablespoons tomato puree 1 teaspoon salt
SPICES: 2 tablespoons turmeric 4 tablespoon mild curry powder (store-bought or homemade) 1-6 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne) (to taste)
2 tablespoons ground cumin seeds 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1 Mix the spices with water to make a paste that has the approximate consistency of tomato ketchup.
2 Heat the oil. Stir-fry the garlic puree for 3 minutes, then add the ginger puree and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the spice paste and stir-fry until the water has evaporated and the oil separates, about 5 minutes. Should it need it, add enough water to make the sauce pourable.
3 Add the onion puree and stir-fry for another 10 minutes. Then add the tomato puree and stir-fry for a final 10 minutes. Add the salt.
4 Place into 10 containers and freeze.
5 Makes enough sauce for 10 curries (40 portions).

Will try. Thanks.

Last night had fresh salmon coated in garam masala, olive oil and lemon juice with stir fry veg. Lovely.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Bump
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

I have a long and complicated recipe of Madhur Jaffrey's for Tandoori chicken masala, which includes the masala paste with a sauce. The secret ingredient seems to be ground almonds.

It runs to 2 pages so if Moderators think this is o.k. I'll post it, otherwise anyone interested can p.m. me and I'll email it to them.

When I make it, I treble the quantities and freeze a load. I find it quite relaxing to spend ages making it and it's one of the most delicious Indian dishes I've tried in over 40 years.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
I have a long and complicated recipe of Madhur Jaffrey's for Tandoori chicken masala, which includes the masala paste with a sauce. The secret ingredient seems to be ground almonds.

It runs to 2 pages so if Moderators think this is o.k. I'll post it, otherwise anyone interested can p.m. me and I'll email it to them.

When I make it, I treble the quantities and freeze a load. I find it quite relaxing to spend ages making it and it's one of the most delicious Indian dishes I've tried in over 40 years.
Yeah put it on ...... I`m starving ;-))
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go then......and thanks Mrs. JDR

TANDOORI CHICKEN MASALA (Madhur Jaffrey’s).

6 x 5 oz. chicken breasts, cut into chunks and marinaded overnight in the fridge:

Marinade:
2 chillies, finely chopped
10 oz. yoghurt2 tbs. veg. oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 crushed garlic clove
1 teasp. Chopped ginger
1 teasp. Each of ground cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, salt.

Masala paste:
1 tbsp. each ground coriander, cumin, paprika
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. each chilli powder and fenugreek
3 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. veg. oil.

Mix all spices with the vinegar, add 3-4 tbsp. water to make a smooth paste.

Heat oil, add paste, stir constantly for 5 mins until some of the liquid has evaporated. Keep on one side for later.

Preheat grill or BBQ. Put chicken on the rack and give 6 mins each side, slightly charred, baste with remains of marinade as it’s cooking

Sauce
2 small onions, roughly chopped to puree in blender, or finely chop by hand
4 garlic cloves
1 teasp chopped ginger

Fry above until lightly brown (7-8 mins)

Stir in cooked paste – fry 2 mins.

Add
2 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1tbsp. sugar
4 oz. water
3 tbsp. ground almonds
simmer 1-2 mins.

Add chicken and any marinade in the grill pan. Heat gently through.

Stir in 2 tsps garam masala and 7 fl. Oz. single cream (or crème freche), heat 1-2 mins.

Garnish with chopped coriander and lemon.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.....mouth watering. many many thanks, will try that one soon....

Was going back on the diet...what diet ???