Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Cooking helpline for ex pats

Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: Cooking helpline for ex pats

I notice that there is a much wider selection of flour than we have in the U.K.....which one would make good batter for pancakes and yorkshire pudding.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
I notice that there is a much wider selection of flour than we have in the U.K.....which one would make good batter for pancakes and yorkshire pudding.
Dont get me started on yorkshire puddings!!!!!!!!!! After 6 months of struggling with flour, I went down to gib and bought homepride. I now realise its my oven that changes it meind HALF WAY THROUGH COOKING WHICH TEMPRETURE IT WANTS TO BE!!!!!!!!!
I have now bought ready made frozen york puds from Gib.
The only two things I cannot get here are choclate buttons ( for my little girl) and Ambrosia Rice pudding. Other than that I can find pretty much everything here.

love

mary x
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:04 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Nothing, the Spanish equivalent are cheaper. Maybe ginger marmalade if you like it ;-)

Never tried it
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Now here's a thought......what should I bring over (i.e. items difficult to find or more expensive) when we finally move over
Glace cherries, we've only been able to find them in 2oz tubs, and expensive, and the inevitable tea bags, so far we have been here nearly 18 months ond only had to buy 1 pack of 80 as we've been brought, sent, or brought over plenty from the UK, a trip over and we bring back 480, people come to visit, they bring tea bags as a gift. and packs of 1200 from MAKRO in the UK are just great. Everthing else we can get here.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Glace cherries, we've only been able to find them in 2oz tubs, and expensive, and the inevitable tea bags, so far we have been here nearly 18 months ond only had to buy 1 pack of 80 as we've been brought, sent, or brought over plenty from the UK, a trip over and we bring back 480, people come to visit, they bring tea bags as a gift. and packs of 1200 from MAKRO in the UK are just great. Everthing else we can get here.

Ahh...but I don't buy glace cherries because I don't particularly like them I always give my cherry to hubby
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Hi
Anyone know what to ask for at the butchers....for a nice tender grilling steak. Similar to Fillet, Sirloin,Rib eye or Rump. So far I have been unlucky getting tender grilling cuts. I think they use old animals unlike here in the U.K.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:02 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Since the topic of this thread is food, I thought I'd post this

Cake Personality Test
If you were buying a cake and you had your choice of the following which would you choose?

Angel food
Brownies
Lemon Meringue
Vanilla with Chocolate Icing
Strawberry Short Cake
Chocolate on Chocolate
Ice Cream
Carrot Cake

Analysis

Now that you've made your choice, this is what research says about you!

Angel food - Sweet, loving, cuddly. You love all warm and fuzzy items. A little nutty at times. Sometimes you need an ice cream cone at the end of the day. Others perceive you as being child-like and immature at times.

Brownies - You are adventurous, love new ideas, are a champion of underdogs and a slayer of dragons. When tempers flare up, you whip out your saber. You are always the oddball with a unique sense of humor and direction. You tend to be very loyal.

Lemon Meringue - Smooth, sexy & articulate with your hands, you are an excellent after-dinner speaker and a good teacher. But don't try to walk and chew gum at the same time. A bit of a diva at times, but you have many friends.

Vanilla with Chocolate Icing - Fun-loving, sassy, humorous. Not very grounded in life, very indecisive and lack motivation. Everyone enjoys being around you, but you are a practical joker. Others should be cautious in making you mad, however, you are a friend for life.

Strawberry Short Cake - Romantic, warm, loving. You care about other people and can be counted on in a pinch. You tend to melt. You can be overly-emotional and annoying at times.

Chocolate on Chocolate - Sexy, always ready to give and receive. Very creative, adventurous, ambitious, and passionate. You have a cold exterior but are warm on the inside. Not afraid to take chances. Will not settle for anything average in life. Love to laugh.

Ice Cream - You like sports, whether it be baseball, football, basketball, or soccer. If you could, you would like to participate, but you enjoy watching sports. You don't like to give up the remote control. You tend to be self-centered and high maintenance.

Carrot Cake - You are a very fun loving person, who likes to laugh. You are fun to be with. People like to hang out with you. You are a very warm-hearted person and a little quirky at times. You have many loyal friends.

Mine is Chocolate on chocolate ALWAYS
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I like all of them
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by MnM
Since the topic of this thread is food, I thought I'd post this

Cake Personality Test
If you were buying a cake and you had your choice of the following which would you choose?

Angel food
Brownies
Lemon Meringue
Vanilla with Chocolate Icing
Strawberry Short Cake
Chocolate on Chocolate
Ice Cream
Carrot Cake

Analysis

Now that you've made your choice, this is what research says about you!

Angel food - Sweet, loving, cuddly. You love all warm and fuzzy items. A little nutty at times. Sometimes you need an ice cream cone at the end of the day. Others perceive you as being child-like and immature at times.

Brownies - You are adventurous, love new ideas, are a champion of underdogs and a slayer of dragons. When tempers flare up, you whip out your saber. You are always the oddball with a unique sense of humor and direction. You tend to be very loyal.

Lemon Meringue - Smooth, sexy & articulate with your hands, you are an excellent after-dinner speaker and a good teacher. But don't try to walk and chew gum at the same time. A bit of a diva at times, but you have many friends.

Vanilla with Chocolate Icing - Fun-loving, sassy, humorous. Not very grounded in life, very indecisive and lack motivation. Everyone enjoys being around you, but you are a practical joker. Others should be cautious in making you mad, however, you are a friend for life.

Strawberry Short Cake - Romantic, warm, loving. You care about other people and can be counted on in a pinch. You tend to melt. You can be overly-emotional and annoying at times.

Chocolate on Chocolate - Sexy, always ready to give and receive. Very creative, adventurous, ambitious, and passionate. You have a cold exterior but are warm on the inside. Not afraid to take chances. Will not settle for anything average in life. Love to laugh.

Ice Cream - You like sports, whether it be baseball, football, basketball, or soccer. If you could, you would like to participate, but you enjoy watching sports. You don't like to give up the remote control. You tend to be self-centered and high maintenance.

Carrot Cake - You are a very fun loving person, who likes to laugh. You are fun to be with. People like to hang out with you. You are a very warm-hearted person and a little quirky at times. You have many loyal friends.

Mine is Chocolate on chocolate ALWAYS
Carrot cake How very true the description is
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:19 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Carrot cake How very true the description is
It is strange how accurate the descriptions are, isn't it?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

not many people interested in cooking on this forum. What a shame!! it could have been a good informative thread.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Been re looking through all the replies, regarding steaks, afraid I have bought some great and not so great ones, but can´t say what they are called, just trial and error I guess, maybe one of the other´s can help?? Regarding flour, had many a flat stodgy yorkshire, hanna superior de trigo con levadura is self raising, can´t remember the plain name (not much use am i?), but niebour told me to get Alisons, and recently have been using Morrisons own brands, fantastic, so stock up if going to Gib. Regarding glace cherries, do you have a Carrafour near you Mikelincs? They sell them, but as you say, small tubs only, once again got large tubs on Gib trip.

Also agree regarding the ovens here, power surges etc., can play havoc with the cooking, still, maybe we should be eating out, enjoying a glass or two of vino by pool rather than stuck to the kitchen sink
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
not many people interested in cooking on this forum. What a shame!! it could have been a good informative thread.
OK then try this one, I had it in a restuarant and thought even I could cook that

JDR`s Tropical chicken

Two chicken breasts cut into cubes.
Onion cut into large pieces.
Pineapple chunks.
Fresh ginger cut into smallish strips.
Honey.
Dessert spoon of brown sugar.
Three dessert spoons olive oil.

The recipe is totally unrestricted, depending on preference of how much of each you like. After a few times you will get it how you like it.

Put olive oil and spoonful of brown sugar in a wok and heat stirring till sugar melts.
Put in chicken , and cook till a nice caramelized brown.
Add onions , pineapple chunks, and fresh ginger, cook for a minute.
Then add honey and a little pineapple juice, depending on how wet you like it.
Leave this to simmer on as low heat as possible, while cooking rice.
Put washed long grain rice in saucepan and just cover with water, cook until water dissappears, stirring every so often being careful not to burn bottom of rice. Take off heat and fork over the rice and let stand for a minute or so.
Depending how posh you are, you can put it in two bowls ready for the table, or you can just put the wok and pan on the table and serve from them.

Enjoy.....

Last edited by jdr; Feb 23rd 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
OK then try this one, I had it in a restuarant and thought even I could cook that

JDR`s Tropical chicken

Two chicken breasts cut into cubes.
Onion cut into large pieces.
Pineapple chunks.
Fresh ginger cut into smallish strips.
Honey.
Dessert spoon of brown sugar.
Three dessert spoons olive oil.

The recipe is totally unrestricted, depending on preference of how much of each you like. After a few times you will get it how you like it.

Put olive oil and spoonful of brown sugar in a wok and heat stirring till sugar melts.
Put in chicken , and cook till a nice caramelized brown.
Add onions , pineapple chunks, and fresh ginger, cook for a minute.
Then add honey and a little pineapple juice, depending on how wet you like it.
Leave this to simmer on as low heat as possible, while cooking rice.
Put washed long grain rice in saucepan and just cover with water, cook until water dissappears, stirring every so often being careful not to burn bottom of rice. Take off heat and fork over the rice and let stand for a minute or so.
Depending how posh you are, you can put it in two bowls ready for the table, or you can just put the wok and pan on the table and serve from them.

Enjoy.....
I shall try this one and let you know.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh...but I don't buy glace cherries because I don't particularly like them I always give my cherry to hubby
Lucky hubby,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.