Cold in winter

Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:57 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by Val W
How cold does it get in the evening in the winter months? We are moving inland approximately 20 minutes south of the city of Murcia. I thought this was the last winter we were going to have to put up with the cold weather. What is the temperature like during the day? Will I need to bring a big winter coat, I was thinking of bringing my leather coat, will that be okay? Will we need scarves and gloves? I hope not.
How far inland is the question, is it in any hills? On the coast you will be unlucky to even get a frost, but things can be different no that far inland, especially if it is on higher ground. Given where you are moving to, I don't really think you will need too much heavy clothing, the most we wear is a light fleece, gets a bit chilly during the night, lowest temp we in the house had during the day with no heating and doors and windows all open because we had workmen in fitting mosquito blinds and air conditioning was 12 degrees last winter, Chilly, and we couldn't have any heating on, but most days the sun was out, and we didn't need heating till about 5 or 6 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

As others in this thread have said, you do acclimatise quite quickly when you are there, and you will start to feel the cold in the evenings especially when it has been warm during the day and the temperature really drops once the sun goes down. My house is further south, 5km inland from Torre del Mar east of Malaga, and I don't live there permanently yet, but when I am there in winter I do wear sweaters and trousers in the evenings and a winter coat and gloves when I go out - but short sleeved T shirts in the daytime - not shorts like the tourists wear but lightweight gym type trousers. Its also cold in the early mornings until about 11 am when the sun gets up.

Xmas/New Year temperatures at night last year didn't get down any lower than about 7 Centigrade, but the 2 years before that it only just stayed above freezing at night, maybe 1 or 2 centigrade. And I am not up in the mountains - there they got well below zero and heavy snowfall.

That's only in December, January and February though.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
As others in this thread have said, you do acclimatise quite quickly when you are there, and you will start to feel the cold in the evenings especially when it has been warm during the day and the temperature really drops once the sun goes down. My house is further south, 5km inland from Torre del Mar east of Malaga, and I don't live there permanently yet, but when I am there in winter I do wear sweaters and trousers in the evenings and a winter coat and gloves when I go out - but short sleeved T shirts in the daytime - not shorts like the tourists wear but lightweight gym type trousers. Its also cold in the early mornings until about 11 am when the sun gets up.

Xmas/New Year temperatures at night last year didn't get down any lower than about 7 Centigrade, but the 2 years before that it only just stayed above freezing at night, maybe 1 or 2 centigrade. And I am not up in the mountains - there they got well below zero and heavy snowfall.

That's only in December, January and February though.
Thank you for your replies. We will be about 20mins inland from the coast, at the foot of the mountains. It doesn't sound as cold as I imagined it to be. I can cope with a light weight fleece, tee shirts and jogging pants during the day. It sounds as though it's just the nights that get cold. I'll stay in with a hot drink, and wear some wyncette pyjamas.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:42 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
How far inland is the question, is it in any hills? On the coast you will be unlucky to even get a frost, but things can be different no that far inland, especially if it is on higher ground. Given where you are moving to, I don't really think you will need too much heavy clothing, the most we wear is a light fleece, gets a bit chilly during the night, lowest temp we in the house had during the day with no heating and doors and windows all open because we had workmen in fitting mosquito blinds and air conditioning was 12 degrees last winter, Chilly, and we couldn't have any heating on, but most days the sun was out, and we didn't need heating till about 5 or 6 pm.
Last January we had -2 in Chiclana which was the coldest it had been all winter until then. The previous year had been exceptionally cold, with many people losing citrus trees and other tender plants. However the nice thing about winter in Spain is that the sun still shines, and it doesn't take long for temperatures to rise. By 4 pm we were on the beach in trunks, though not in the sea!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
HI,
Can you tell me if spain is really cold in the winter months!!!!!!
yes, it gets very cold in the winter in spain. it rains ALOT. like TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS. like being in the jungle for rainy season.

its not normally cold and raining at the same time tho...

i am going to install a log burner in my lounge this year.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Cool Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
yes, it gets very cold in the winter in spain. it rains ALOT. like TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS. like being in the jungle for rainy season.

its not normally cold and raining at the same time tho...

i am going to install a log burner in my lounge this year.
Hi, What do you expect to pay for your log burner, with fitting ?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val W
How cold does it get in the evening in the winter months? We are moving inland approximately 20 minutes south of the city of Murcia. I thought this was the last winter we were going to have to put up with the cold weather. What is the temperature like during the day? Will I need to bring a big winter coat, I was thinking of bringing my leather coat, will that be okay? Will we need scarves and gloves? I hope not.

val, in the winter, if its not raining it will be just as cold as the uk. i still wear my "puffa" jacket i bought in london.

ps. where in mersyside are you ? i visit the wirral quite alot / birkenhead.

you can buy the bathroom heaters here. they are the sort of heaters that bathrooms used to come equipped with in the ´80s in the uk, pull cord etc. they only need a plug on really, or can be hooked to the light circuit to come on when the light is turned on (although NOT recomended - the wiring is too thin for prolonged use.) they should also be WALL mounted, NOT ceiling, as the heat needs somewhere to dissipate to - with it ceiling mounted the heat stays around the bulb and reduces the lifespan of the bulb.

i´ve fitted a few into the bathrooms of alhaurin.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

val, in the winter, if its not raining it will be just as cold as the uk. i still wear my "puffa" jacket i bought in london.

you can buy the bathroom heaters here. they are the sort of heaters that bathrooms used to come equipped with in the ´80s in the uk, pull cord etc. they only need a plug on really, or can be hooked to the light circuit to come on when the light is turned on (although NOT recomended - the wiring is too thin for prolonged use.) they should also be WALL mounted, NOT ceiling, as the heat needs somewhere to dissipate to - with it ceiling mounted the heat stays around the bulb and reduces the lifespan of the bulb.

Can you buy them in Spain?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonsol
Hi, What do you expect to pay for your log burner, with fitting ?
We paid about 1500 euros. Wouldn´t be without it.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Rainhill, it's near Warrington, quite a way from Birkenhead. We are actually the last village in Merseyside, two minutes down the road and it becomes Cheshire.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Smile Re: Cold in winter

The heater that I have mentioned seems to be different to the one you mention, mine is a light and seperate infrared heat in a reflective shield and is made for use in bathrooms, it can be used as a light,....heat and light together, ...or just heat, with a control " pull " in the centre,
J.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by jonsol
The heater that I have mentioned seems to be different to the one you mention, mine is a light and seperate infrared heat in a reflective shield and is made for use in bathrooms, it can be used as a light,....heat and light together, ...or just heat, with a control " pull " in the centre,
J.
UPDATE.....I have been in contact with a supplier for these heat/light units regarding posting to Spain, and they have had these broken in transit when they have previously tried to post them , so now no longer try to export them,anyone needing one of these will just have to get a friend to take one to you in Spain when they next drive out,
J.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:04 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

nights are already feeling cool to me.........not quite cold ..............and a friend of mine inland in Jalon has put her lightweight duvet back on her bed ..still sunbathing weather during the day though
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think you would need to wait for someone to drive out if you wanted them to bring a heat/light fitting, I brought mine over as hand luggage. It was a smallish cardboard box and couldn't have weighed more than 2kg. Could be a problem with the new restrictions on size of hand luggage on flights leaving the UK if they remain in force, but I've also successfully brought other things on flights as checked in luggage (including a chandelier) by taking it to the special items luggage checkin and putting 'Muy Fragil' stickers on them. We also took a painted blanket box, a dinner service and a garden gazebo out by that method. You get some funny looks in the checkin queue, but who cares? As long as you don't exceed your checked in baggage allowance its fine.