Cold in winter

Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold in winter

As for the locals going around well wrapped up, many of the Spanish ladies who live near me go to the corner shop in their winceyette pyjamas and fleece dressing gowns after 9pm or before 12 noon in the mornings - I'm not sure I'll ever be integrated to that extent!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:24 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynn R
As for the locals going around well wrapped up, many of the Spanish ladies who live near me go to the corner shop in their winceyette pyjamas and fleece dressing gowns after 9pm or before 12 noon in the mornings - I'm not sure I'll ever be integrated to that extent!
Great news Lyn.. I have always fancied going out in my pyjamas... though I am not sure wincyette are my style!!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Well you never know - I never thought I'd be seen dead pulling a shopping trolley on wheels, but I do now! At least it's not a tartan one. The days of zip up fleecy lined slippers can't be far off, what an awful thought.

I also get approving nods and smiles from the Spanish old ladies when they see me sweeping and mopping the pavement outside my house and cleaning my rejas.

Maybe we should start a new thread, 'What moving to Spain does to your sense of style' or some such.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well you never know - I never thought I'd be seen dead pulling a shopping trolley on wheels, but I do now! At least it's not a tartan one. The days of zip up fleecy lined slippers can't be far off, what an awful thought.

I also get approving nods and smiles from the Spanish old ladies when they see me sweeping and mopping the pavement outside my house and cleaning my rejas.

Maybe we should start a new thread, 'What moving to Spain does to your sense of style' or some such.
Shopping trollies are all the rage here, when Carrefour opened near me they gave everybody one full of stuff on the first day.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:13 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Go ahead then start it......
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely take your heat/light fitting with you, I have never seen them on sale in a Spanish electrical shop, and we did ask in a few before we bought ours in England and took it out, but no-one had them. I've bought 2 spare heating elements for mine to keep in case the original one wears out!

No good asking me about wiring, I can't even change a plug, but a friend fitted my heat/light fitting in Spain and it took him about 15 minutes so it can't be that complicated.
Can you give me a web site where I can view these as our bathrooms are freezing and I am going back mid September for a couple of days.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Glynis

I searched all around Lancashire where I live but could not find one anywhere so I ended up buying one in my partner's home town of Grimsby, from a really good old fashioned electrical retailer called Halls of Wellowgate. I don't think they have a website (haven't been able to find one anyway) but when I went back to buy the spare heating elements they said I could ring up and order one over the phone and they would be pleased to post it to Spain. The light fitting wasn't heavy at all (I took it to Spain in my hand luggage) so they might post one of those. I think it cost £40. If you want to try ringing them, their phone no is 01472 342619.

Just one warning note - check your bathroom ceiling is high enough to take one, a friend of mine bought one after seeing mine (same one who fitted mine, funnily enough) and found he could not use it in his bathroom as it was too close to the shower rail and curtain and could have been a fire risk!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Glynis

I searched all around Lancashire where I live but could not find one anywhere so I ended up buying one in my partner's home town of Grimsby, from a really good old fashioned electrical retailer called Halls of Wellowgate. I don't think they have a website (haven't been able to find one anyway) but when I went back to buy the spare heating elements they said I could ring up and order one over the phone and they would be pleased to post it to Spain. The light fitting wasn't heavy at all (I took it to Spain in my hand luggage) so they might post one of those. I think it cost £40. If you want to try ringing them, their phone no is 01472 342619.

Just one warning note - check your bathroom ceiling is high enough to take one, a friend of mine bought one after seeing mine (same one who fitted mine, funnily enough) and found he could not use it in his bathroom as it was too close to the shower rail and curtain and could have been a fire risk!
My friend lives in Grimsby so if she is coming out she may bring one for me. If you see a picture at all can you email it to me please.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Shopping trollies are all the rage here, when Carrefour opened near me they gave everybody one full of stuff on the first day.
I love the small shopping baskets on wheels with the long handle you get in the supermarkets.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Here is a link to an infra red heater bulb, will save all that complicated wiring :scared:

http://www.infraredheaters.com/ese.htm for the idea

and these might sell you some

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/hshclear.htm
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glynis
My friend lives in Grimsby so if she is coming out she may bring one for me. If you see a picture at all can you email it to me please.
Sorry Glynis, I don't have any photographs (it's not the most exciting subject for a photo to be honest) but I'm coming out to Spain for a week from 9 September so could try taking one and sending it to you when I get back if you still need it. I can't claim they are cutting edge design objects and they probably wouldn't do much to enhance your decor, but as a practical and cheap option they are great. If a description helps, there is a stainless steel effect shade approx 10" in diameter, with a central lightbulb surrounded by a 2 ring heating element. There is a pull cord mechanism for changing from light only to light plus heat (I think you can have two heat settings), and once you have it at the setting you want you can turn it on and off by the light switch on the wall.

I only knew these things existed because I once stayed in a holiday apartment that had one fitted in the bathroom, and once I had the house in Spain I just had to have one. It got to be a bit like the quest for the Holy Grail to track one down! If I had an ounce of entrepreneurial spirit I would start a business importing them to Spain, I'm sure they would do well.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Cool Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Here is a link to an infra red heater bulb, will save all that complicated wiring :scared:

http://www.infraredheaters.com/ese.htm for the idea

and these might sell you some

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/hshclear.htm
I have located a u.k. supplier for these infrared heat/lighters units similar to mine, they say they wont/cant export, but their website is www.hsdonline.co.uk. and the product code is PP47 and it costs £32.16 without vat, and £37.43 with vat, there is a photo of the unit ,
John.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

What's a rejas? We haven't moved to Spain yet, but have seen everyone with the shopping trolleys. Didn't think I'd need wyncette pajamas.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rejas are the decorative metal grilles on the outside of windows. The more ornate they are, the more difficult they are to clean - and as for repainting them, don't get me started. You wouldn't believe the amount of dust that collects in all the little scrolls, especially in summer.

Get those wincyette pjs packed - I haven't gone that far yet, but I have acquired a fleece dressing gown, some fleece pjs (not to wear in bed, just for slobbing around it after getting up/before going to bed) and some fleece slippers (most definitely not the zip up kind). Before I got the Spanish house I don't think I possessed a single fleece garment in my wardrobe - let that be a warning to all you fashion conscious people out there!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

Rejas are the decorative metal grilles on the outside of windows. The more ornate they are, the more difficult they are to clean - and as for repainting them, don't get me started. You wouldn't believe the amount of dust that collects in all the little scrolls, especially in summer.

Get those wincyette pjs packed - I haven't gone that far yet, but I have acquired a fleece dressing gown, some fleece pjs (not to wear in bed, just for slobbing around it after getting up/before going to bed) and some fleece slippers (most definitely not the zip up kind). Before I got the Spanish house I don't think I possessed a single fleece garment in my wardrobe - let that be a warning to all you fashion conscious people out there!
How cold does it get in the evening in the winter months? We are moving inland approximately 20 minutes south of the city of Murcia. I thought this was the last winter we were going to have to put up with the cold weather. What is the temperature like during the day? Will I need to bring a big winter coat, I was thinking of bringing my leather coat, will that be okay? Will we need scarves and gloves? I hope not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.