Cold in winter

Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by jdr
Its strange really, you think how can it get cold its much hotter in the winter than UK, but when you get acclimatised to the heat in summer, you really do notice the difference
Its a good excuse for a cuddle though
Oh well......my oncologist is changing my drugs and a side effect is hot flushes......at least we'll be warm in winter!!!!
Mary
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Smile Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by jdr
Its strange really, you think how can it get cold its much hotter in the winter than UK, but when you get acclimatised to the heat in summer, you really do notice the difference
Its a good excuse for a cuddle though
Has anyone taken a Super Ser heater to Spain, and can they be easily converted to Spanish type bottles....is it just a matter of buying a new regulator and tube ?
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
HI,
Can you tell me if spain is really cold in the winter months!!!!!!
Here are year-round climate/temperature/rainfall descriptions and tables for the regions of Spain and various cities within them, that should give you a good idea right across the country, though topography can change so dramatically in a short distance that you'd need to take that into account for nearby towns not covered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT008040
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Talking Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Here are year-round climate/temperature/rainfall descriptions and tables for the regions of Spain and various cities within them, that should give you a good idea right across the country, though topography can change so dramatically in a short distance that you'd need to take that into account for nearby towns not covered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT008040
This will only give average info,

I live in Northern Murcia about 40Kms inland, and about 600mtrs up,

Year before last -12C recorded, and the fountain in the town plaza, froze solid, first time in living memory, (so I am told)
Last year, 6" of Snow, cut roads of for three days, ( claimed to be the first snow for 54 years!!)

In the four years I have been here, would say the winters can get very cold with late Jan Feb being the coldest, temps at night can drop below freezing, Gnerally though the sun is out and you pretty soon forget, and it never seems to last for more than a few days.but you need to be geared up for it

Central heating in various forms plus insulation is now the norm on New builds.

Yep it gets B****Y cold!!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

HI,
It's not unusual to see people here on holiday in Dec, Jan and Feb walking round in shorts and t shirts on sunny days, while the people who live here are in jeans and jumpers. Something we had been told about and saw for ourselves last winter, our first here. Having said that the market stalls selling plants are selling petunias for window boxes, plants that wouldn't survive in the UK in winter, and I was picking strawberries at the beginning of February.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

juankellie is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,
In Madrid it is between 10 and minus 6 normally in January and February.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

Altitude has a lot to do with the weather; we’re at almost 1200 mtrs. I’ve been able to ski through our village every year since we arrived six years ago.
The house has central heating, a log burner and an open fire.

No probs
shoo
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough

HI,
I depends where you live: Central and Northern Spain get VERY cold, with snow, and here on the Costa Blanca it gets cold in Jan/Feb.
I doubt that the Southern coastal area often does, but others will be able to give personal experiences.

The problem in this area is that we seem always to be 'surprised' by a cold snap, and our houses are designed to keep cool rather than warm(very little CH and tiled rather than carpeted floors).

I've had to buy a warm dressing gown & slippers, which I never needed in SE UK

Our first Winter here was the coldest for 50 years and we had ice on the paddling-pool at 11am
Old Aug 28th 2006, 5:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerb
I depends where you live: Central and Northern Spain get VERY cold, with snow, and here on the Costa Blanca it gets cold in Jan/Feb.
I doubt that the Southern coastal area often does, but others will be able to give personal experiences.

The problem in this area is that we seem always to be 'surprised' by a cold snap, and our houses are designed to keep cool rather than warm(very little CH and tiled rather than carpeted floors).

I've had to buy a warm dressing gown & slippers, which I never needed in SE UK

Our first Winter here was the coldest for 50 years and we had ice on the paddling-pool at 11am
I suppose it does depend on where you lived in the Uk, we came from Lincolnshire, and it was very cold in winter with days when the temperature only just got over freezing, so to come here to the Costa Blanca was, for us, coming into the warm. We were so much warmer here, no central heating which was on all day in the UK, we rely on catalytic gas heaters now, but only need them on in the evening. we do have a duvet, but found that we really only needed it for about 6 weeks in Jan, Feb, then went back to just a bedspread.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suppose it does depend on where you lived in the Uk, we came from Lincolnshire, and it was very cold in winter with days when the temperature only just got over freezing, so to come here to the Costa Blanca was, for us, coming into the warm. We were so much warmer here, no central heating which was on all day in the UK, we rely on catalytic gas heaters now, but only need them on in the evening. we do have a duvet, but found that we really only needed it for about 6 weeks in Jan, Feb, then went back to just a bedspread.
Hi,
We are from lincolnshire and today it is freezing, to be fair all week the temputure has dropped so i am feeling it.

Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:06 pm
Concierge

Hi,
We are from lincolnshire and today it is freezing, to be fair all week the temputure has dropped so i am feeling it.

Well it's nice and hot here, bit windy, but temps still well up. A/C on this evening.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I have a restored town house 5km inland from the coast (East of Malaga). Yes, it gets cold at night during winter but I've never needed any heating during the day, and manage fine with a portable gas heater in the living room plus electric fan heaters to use in the bedrooms just whilst getting up/getting ready for bed. I tried the electric oil filled radiators but found them useless. The coldest rooms are the bathrooms - I have a heat/light fitting which has an infrared heating element, and I wouldn't be without it. Just switch it on a few minutes before I want to take a shower, the room is lovely and warm.

Some winters are colder than others (just like in UK really) - last Christmas/New Year I only had the gas heater on 1 night out of 9, but the 2 years before that were really cold at that time of year. At least you only need heating for 3 months of the year - I put my central heating on last night in Lancashire as it was so chilly. You'll never need heating in Spain in August, that's for sure.

Having said that, the old houses with their thick walls stay cool in the summer so you probably won't need air conditioning. We don't have it and the temperature is fine during the day, keep all the sunblinds closed and the windows open. We just use floorstanding or desktop fans in the bedrooms at night.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice
Smile Re: Cold in winter

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have a restored town house 5km inland from the coast (East of Malaga). Yes, it gets cold at night during winter but I've never needed any heating during the day, and manage fine with a portable gas heater in the living room plus electric fan heaters to use in the bedrooms just whilst getting up/getting ready for bed. I tried the electric oil filled radiators but found them useless. The coldest rooms are the bathrooms - I have a heat/light fitting which has an infrared heating element, and I wouldn't be without it. Just switch it on a few minutes before I want to take a shower, the room is lovely and warm.

Some winters are colder than others (just like in UK really) - last Christmas/New Year I only had the gas heater on 1 night out of 9, but the 2 years before that were really cold at that time of year. At least you only need heating for 3 months of the year - I put my central heating on last night in Lancashire as it was so chilly. You'll never need heating in Spain in August, that's for sure.

Having said that, the old houses with their thick walls stay cool in the summer so you probably won't need air conditioning. We don't have it and the temperature is fine during the day, keep all the sunblinds closed and the windows open. We just use floorstanding or desktop fans in the bedrooms at night.
Glad you mentioned the infrared heat/light fixture you use , I wondered if I should take mine with me if/when I move, is there any problems with connection to the Spanish wiring system ? (to provide an earth )
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely take your heat/light fitting with you, I have never seen them on sale in a Spanish electrical shop, and we did ask in a few before we bought ours in England and took it out, but no-one had them. I've bought 2 spare heating elements for mine to keep in case the original one wears out!

No good asking me about wiring, I can't even change a plug, but a friend fitted my heat/light fitting in Spain and it took him about 15 minutes so it can't be that complicated.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:07 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I spent January in the house this year, and the Spanish were going around well wrapped up. We have a wood burning stove which I recommend as the metal flue acts as a giant radiator, and it is more efficient than an open fire. At night we adjusted it to simmer and combined with an electric radiator in the bedroom we were very warm. Add a few rugs and it would have been perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.