Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cold Weather on the Way?

Cold Weather on the Way?

Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:02 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Weather on the Way?

Wish I'd stayed in the UK a while longer.
Thought I'd be safe waiting until October, but temps in 30s forecast for next few days.
At least I've got the house cooled down after a week or so with windows open every night, unfortunately getting eaten alive with mossies.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
We're about 550m above sea-level, the temp inside the house this morning was just 19C! Quite a difference from yours! I also own thick fleecy pjs but, unlike you, I DO wear them to sleep in, plus warm duvet and hot water bottle - looking forward to trying out the leccy blanket this year

We regularly have snow up here in the winter and bitingly cold winds - we'll probably move nearer to the coast in a few years time - I quite fancy strolling along the prom at Torré and not struggling with the steep hills we have here!
we are at 750-800m asl, when you are used to living in the fens at 0-1 foot asl you get used to cutting winds when there isnt a convenient mountain in the way so deflect them. Its the nose bleeds due to the height that we have problems with.
however, as good citizens we do keep the mountain rescue team practising by running up and down mole hills
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
I'm also in the Axarquia, but must be at a higher altitude than you as I've put the duvet back on the bed and even dug out my old track-suit top to wear over my pj's in the morning before the sun comes up ...... oh, and went down to Lidl last week to buy a couple of electric blankets - not going to get caught out by the cold weather THIS year
Still sleeping with just a sheet over us here and all the windows open all night, one mosquito did manage to find it's way inside despite the mosquito screens at every door and window....but I got it before it could bite!

We have noticed the drop in temperature at night though, we are no longer eating outside at 10pm and breakfast is only on the terrace now if it's a late one.

It can get quite cold here in the winter with snow on the mountain at the back of us, I then resort to a hot water bottle for my feet and a duvel cover (no duvet) on top of the sheet. Even in the UK winters it was very rare for us to resort to using the duvet!
Must be that keeps us warm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a very balmy night in Alicante (I'm watching the football on the box). Has there been any update on the Gota fria yet?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Looks a very balmy night in Alicante (I'm watching the football on the box). Has there been any update on the Gota fria yet?
a friend of mine was told by the doctor's receptionist that they are gearing up for this weekend........................
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
a friend of mine was told by the doctor's receptionist that they are gearing up for this weekend........................
Quite looking forward to it, if that be true.
Still too damned hot right now and the land could use some rain.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Quite looking forward to it, if that be true.
Still too damned hot right now and the land could use some rain.
we had a heavy downpour just under 2 weeks ago - just for the day....................

it has suddenly got much hotter again the past day or so - but I can remember swimming in the sea on el Día de la Hispanidad in past years, so although this weather seems odd for October, it can't be that unusual

it could do with cooling down now, I think
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm guessing it will be a week on Sunday.....
We are having a family BBQ here then, all twenty of us....we usually get a downpour when we plan these events, they often have to be called off a couple of times before they happen.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:49 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's much hotter this year for October, I just had a shower and need another still sweating as I type. Not seen rain since April here.

My patio was showing 30% in shade at 4pm this afternoon and 46% (that was 105f on my thingy) in direct sun, tried 5 minutes sunbathing, far too hot yet.

So, where's this cold weather then? Bring it on.

Last edited by anonimouse; Oct 12th 2011 at 5:54 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Well it's much hotter this year for October, I just had a shower and need another still sweating as I type. Not seen rain since April here.

My patio was showing 30% in shade at 4pm this afternoon and 46% (that was 105f on my thingy) in direct sun, tried 5 minutes sunbathing, far too hot yet.

So, where's this cold weather then? Bring it on.
Like I said....one week on Sunday for sure!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:07 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by megmet
Like I said....one week on Sunday for sure!
Can you not bring your BBQ forward a week ?
Another week of this and I'll be toast.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

my daughters' school here in Jávea - and presumably the others too - has issued 'emergency instructions' for us to follow in the case of a Gota Fría

if it happens while the kids are in school we are NOT to pick them up, we are to wait until we are contacted by the police or fire service who will co-ordinate evacuation of the school

if it happens - or even just heavy rainfall - while they are at home, we are to keep an eye on weather warnings on local TV or radio in case of a Gota Fría warning or red alert & not send them to school if there is an alert

this is our 9th autumn/winter here & it's the first time we have been given these instructions

Last edited by lynnxa; Oct 14th 2011 at 3:43 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:23 pm
On the road again.

I see there are now some water use restrictions inland.
Hopefully the Gota Fria will do some good if it ever arrives or reaches that far.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Looking at the forecasts it looks like the Gota Fria is scheduled for next Thursday through to Saturday, perfectly timed for my arrival in Spain.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Can you not bring your BBQ forward a week ?
Another week of this and I'll be toast.
What did I tell you.....
It's now Saturday morning (just) and there are a few spots of rain outside, the forecast is for heavy rain on Sunday...just as well we already called the BBQ off.

So next time you want to know when it's going to rain....just ask me when we have a family barbie planned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.