Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Old May 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

I have passed my medical (what a farce.....) and now I think it would be a good idea to change my U.K. photo licence, which expires in 2011, for a Spanish licence. The medical certificate is only valid for 90 days for the purposes of a licence application. The snag I have run into is that the gestor I intend to use tells me to be prepared to be without my licence for up to 3 or 4 months - worse case scenario. All I will have in the meantime is a bit of cardboard which is o.k for Spain, but as far as I am aware, nowhere else. This would mean I would be unable to drive in the U.K., I need to visit the U.K. occasionally and need to be able to drive while I am there.

Has anyone been through this process and how long did it take? Maybe my gestor is being over pessimistic??
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:10 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Originally Posted by petew
I have passed my medical (what a farce.....) and now I think it would be a good idea to change my U.K. photo licence, which expires in 2011, for a Spanish licence. The medical certificate is only valid for 90 days for the purposes of a licence application. The snag I have run into is that the gestor I intend to use tells me to be prepared to be without my licence for up to 3 or 4 months - worse case scenario. All I will have in the meantime is a bit of cardboard which is o.k for Spain, but as far as I am aware, nowhere else. This would mean I would be unable to drive in the U.K., I need to visit the U.K. occasionally and need to be able to drive while I am there.

Has anyone been through this process and how long did it take? Maybe my gestor is being over pessimistic??
Do you have to hand in your UK licence in order to obtain a Spanish one? In that case take a photocopy of your licence (both paper and plastic) and if you are stopped by the police in the UK you can explain the circumstances. Personally that is what I would do. But then I have no intention of surrendering my UK driving licence in exchange for a Spanish one.
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:21 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Your application will be lodged with Traffico, so if you do have to surrender your current UK license you should be on record, always ask for proof.

All you need is

1) Official application form provided by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters where you wish to obtain the licence.

2) Photocopy of your valid National Identity Card, Passport or Foreigner’s Identity Card (N.I.E.) which accredits your official residency or status as a student in Spain for the minimum period required, along with the original documents, which will be returned once checked.

3) Two recent 32 x 25 mm photographs.

4) Written declaration that you have not had your right to drive motor vehicles or motorcycles revoked by legal resolution or had your driving licence suspended.

5) Written declaration that you do not hold any other type of driving licence, issued in Spain or another community country, of the same class as the one applied for. - The licence you wish to exchange, copy or photocopy.

As with all things Spanish, its best to ask your local Traffico Dept what they require.

You may also find this site helpfull

http://www.todomultas.com/asistentes/asistente.htm

Last edited by livit; May 3rd 2009 at 6:28 pm.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Right we go down to Tafico in Alicante for this purpose for clients and we usually get them back within about a month.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Do you have to hand in your UK licence in order to obtain a Spanish one? In that case take a photocopy of your licence (both paper and plastic) and if you are stopped by the police in the UK you can explain the circumstances. Personally that is what I would do. But then I have no intention of surrendering my UK driving licence in exchange for a Spanish one.

Yes you do, as said before you can drive on your English Licence but should abide by the other rules i.e. medical.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by SueG
Right we go down to Tafico in Alicante for this purpose for clients and we usually get them back within about a month.
Thanks for that. You said "usually" - can it sometimes take longer than a month??
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lionda
Yes you have to hand it in. I am doubtful if the u.k police would accept a photocopy. Also a car hire company definitely would not.
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have passed my medical (what a farce.....) and now I think it would be a good idea to change my U.K. photo licence, which expires in 2011, for a Spanish licence. The medical certificate is only valid for 90 days for the purposes of a licence application.
Don't worry about the medical - you don't need one if you are exchanging your licence unless you are within a year or two of 70.

It can take some time to get the new licence which is not a problem in Spain as you have proof of the application but it could present problems if you want to hire a car in the UK. I doubt that the UK police will have a problem so long as you have a copy of your old licence and the Spanish paperwork - they can easily check online with the DVLA.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. You said "usually" - can it sometimes take longer than a month??
When I applied, I was given a temporary licence valid for one month and after that ran out I was given another temporary licence.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Well this is Spain!! Depends whether there have been any fiestas since we took it down, how busy they are etc. etc. but as someone else has said you are issued with a card to carry until the new Licence is available for collection.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
When I applied, I was given a temporary licence valid for one month and after that ran out I was given another temporary licence.
Yes, that is true, but this temporary "licence" is only a piece of paper which it is unlikely that a UK car hire company would accept.

This is about the only example of where it can be a problem to exchange your UK licence. The only real solution is to only exchange if you are sure you will not want to use it in the UK for at least 3 months.

In the meantime, just have the medical and then your UK licence will be valid in Spain.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:22 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James

In the meantime, just have the medical and then your UK licence will be valid in Spain.
Unless the Guardia and relevent authorities disagree.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would prefer to change to a Spanish licence to avoid possible problems if stopped by trafico. It's difficult for me to be certain of not needing to visit the U.K. for up to 3 months ahead - my mother lives in the U.K and is 92 and not in the best of health.

I am sure that U.K. car hire companies will only accept a proper licence. Maybe the U.K. police would accept photocopies etc if I were driving my own car but I wouldn't like to bet on it! In any case that would mean having to drive all the way back instead of flying and hiring a car.

I think for now I'll have to stick with my U.K. licence - at least I've got the medical certificate to back it up.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:21 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 65 when I applied for my Spanish licence in Jaen. No medical was required - but it will be next time - it is a 5-year licence. Amazingly efficient in Jaen, unlike Seville, and my plastic licence was promised in 3 weeks. It dropped on my mat exactly 3 weeks later.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:45 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer to change to a Spanish licence to avoid possible problems if stopped by trafico. It's difficult for me to be certain of not needing to visit the U.K. for up to 3 months ahead - my mother lives in the U.K and is 92 and not in the best of health.

I am sure that U.K. car hire companies will only accept a proper licence. Maybe the U.K. police would accept photocopies etc if I were driving my own car but I wouldn't like to bet on it! In any case that would mean having to drive all the way back instead of flying and hiring a car.

I think for now I'll have to stick with my U.K. licence - at least I've got the medical certificate to back it up.
Last year, I was able to hire a car when I produced a photocopy of my driving license, the hire company phoned DVLA to check it was valid. A few years back when I regularly hired cars in a.n.other countries, I was registered as a frequent user with Avis. I got a discount rate, did not have to complete their endless forms in triplicate and they did not even ask to see my license. Things may have changed and you might want to ask them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.