Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Old May 6th 2009, 1:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Originally Posted by missile
Last year, I was able to hire a car when I produced a photocopy of my driving license, the hire company phoned DVLA to check it was valid. A few years back when I regularly hired cars in a.n.other countries, I was registered as a frequent user with Avis. I got a discount rate, did not have to complete their endless forms in triplicate and they did not even ask to see my license. Things may have changed and you might want to ask them?
I arrived at Coventry airport a year ago to collect a pre booked car (and I was a regular user with them) and they initially refused to give me the car because I had not got a copy of a utility bill with my address on it. I was about an hour before they finally managed to get hold of a manager and get the OK. Different renters, different policies
Old May 11th 2009, 9:00 am
Just Joined

MikeT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ! If you should 'loose' your UK licence apply to DVLA for a replacement (only applicable if you still have a UK address of course - which will of course be the one on your licence anyway) Once you have a duplicate licence use this one to give to the Spanish traffico. You can then 'find' your 'lost'one to go rent a car or whatever.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeT
Hi ! If you should 'loose' your UK licence apply to DVLA for a replacement (only applicable if you still have a UK address of course - which will of course be the one on your licence anyway) Once you have a duplicate licence use this one to give to the Spanish traffico. You can then 'find' your 'lost'one to go rent a car or whatever.
Thanks for the suggestion - do you think there's a possibility DVLA will know I'm resident in Spain (don't see how??) Any idea how long it takes to get a replacement from DVLA??
Old May 11th 2009, 10:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
Thanks for the suggestion - do you think there's a possibility DVLA will know I'm resident in Spain (don't see how??) Any idea how long it takes to get a replacement from DVLA??
That is fraud I am afraid and you would be found out when you get your Spanish licence and they return the old one to UK.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeT
That would be illegal, ill advised, and is actually against posting rules as well so please have a look at the rules before posting again, thanks
Old May 11th 2009, 10:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering, is this really worth worrying about? So what if you might have to return to UK and can't hire a car for a month or so. Public transport is not THAT bad and think of the money you would save
Old May 11th 2009, 10:47 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I arrived at Coventry airport a year ago to collect a pre booked car (and I was a regular user with them) and they initially refused to give me the car because I had not got a copy of a utility bill with my address on it. I was about an hour before they finally managed to get hold of a manager and get the OK. Different renters, different policies
I have hired quite a few cars and never been asked to produce a utility bill. Were you wearing a mask, striped shirt and carrying a bag marked swag?
Old May 11th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

I am wondering, is this really worth worrying about? So what if you might have to return to UK and can't hire a car for a month or so. Public transport is not THAT bad and think of the money you would save
Appreciate your comment but public transport is practically non existent in some parts of the U.K. Also I visit my elderly mother who can't use public transport. If you think using U.K. public transport would save money - have you checked the cost of a train journey from Eastbourne to Barrow in Furness!!??
Old May 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

bizzbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year, I was able to hire a car when I produced a photocopy of my driving license, the hire company phoned DVLA to check it was valid. A few years back when I regularly hired cars in a.n.other countries, I was registered as a frequent user with Avis. I got a discount rate, did not have to complete their endless forms in triplicate and they did not even ask to see my license. Things may have changed and you might want to ask them?
What I did was apply for another copy of my license in the Uk just said I lost it paid for a new one but you will need an up to date address, it is always handy to have
Old May 14th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

investalot is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the procedure to change a spanish licence back to a UK one ?

I originally changed my UK photocard licence for a spanish one and I have noticed this has now expired but I am living in the Caribbean now but planning to go to the UK on a regular basis
Old May 15th 2009, 4:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by investalot
What is the procedure to change a spanish licence back to a UK one ?

I originally changed my UK photocard licence for a spanish one and I have noticed this has now expired but I am living in the Caribbean now but planning to go to the UK on a regular basis
I would imagine you send the Spanish one back to DVLA, but you will need a UK address for them to send the UK one to.
Old May 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
Started off with nothing

and you may well find that you need a valid spanish license to exchange
Old May 15th 2009, 5:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, according to the DVLA an EU licence can be exchanged even if it has expired.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562
Old May 15th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

investalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank's for the link...that seems the way to go.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Agreed,
I lost my UK License once, and was visiting England and landed at Cardiff Airport. Car Rental company called DVLA and gave them my particulars, whereby the hire company handed me the phone so I could verify to DVLA that it was ok to discuss my particulars - DVLA to HIRE COMPANY. I did so, then the company spoke with DVLA again and I was good to go..

Easy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.