Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing U.K. licence for Spanish -

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I arrived at Coventry airport a year ago to collect a pre booked car (and I was a regular user with them) and they initially refused to give me the car because I had not got a copy of a utility bill with my address on it. I was about an hour before they finally managed to get hold of a manager and get the OK. Different renters, different policies
--
Mitzy,
I own property in Spain but rent it out - also I'm not a resident yet.
I am overseas and sometime soon to be visiting Spain in the New Year.

A:I have lost my photo id DVLA License.
B:I don't have a UK address anymore.

What procedures should I have to follow in order to get a Spanish License on my next visit. I need to get this right as it is not often I get chance to come back and visit..
--
NIE, Villa's Utility Bill & Passport should do it right ?

Let me know please,
Cheers;
DSB.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
--
Mitzy,

What procedures should I have to follow in order to get a Spanish License on my next visit. I need to get this right as it is not often I get chance to come back and visit..
--

Let me know please,
Cheers;
DSB.
Oh dear. I'm afraid not.

You will need to get a reissue of your UK licence, which you will need to be able to prove to the Spanish authorities that you actually have a full EU licence as you will need to exchange it.

For that you are going to need to have a UK address to have it sent to. Its one of the major worries about having a UK licence over here if you dont have an address in the UK. Although you can use a UK lic over here, the DVLA wont issue a licence to a foreign address. So if you lose it, you have a problem.

You'd need to fill in the change of address forms from the UK and then apply for a duplicate I believe.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Oh dear. I'm afraid not.

You will need to get a reissue of your UK licence, which you will need to be able to prove to the Spanish authorities that you actually have a full EU licence as you will need to exchange it.

For that you are going to need to have a UK address to have it sent to. Its one of the major worries about having a UK licence over here if you dont have an address in the UK. Although you can use a UK lic over here, the DVLA wont issue a licence to a foreign address. So if you lose it, you have a problem.

You'd need to fill in the change of address forms from the UK and then apply for a duplicate I believe.
Dam,
That sucks big time..
hmmm
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dam,
That sucks big time..
hmmm

Cant you use a relative or a friend and just change it to that address for the moment?

Better than taking a Spanish test
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:49 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeT
Hi ! If you should 'loose' your UK licence apply to DVLA for a replacement (only applicable if you still have a UK address of course - which will of course be the one on your licence anyway) Once you have a duplicate licence use this one to give to the Spanish traffico. You can then 'find' your 'lost'one to go rent a car or whatever.

I took this same advice 14yr ago and have never since had a problem with either licence.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I took this same advice 14yr ago and have never since had a problem with either licence.
It is fraud though to exchange it and have duplicate licences.
DVLA site :

Found your old licence

You must return your old licence to DVLA with an explanatory letter if you find it after requesting or receiving your new duplicate photocard driving licence.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

--
Mitzy,

--

Let me know please,
Cheers;
DSB.
If you contact the DVLA they will issue you with a form listing the groups you are entitled to drive. Form D737?

I used this some years ago when I realised my Spanish license did not list all my entitlements. ( i.e. I could not tow a trailer on my Spanish license has my original old UK one was issued before this became a seperate catagory )
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:21 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you contact the DVLA they will issue you with a form listing the groups you are entitled to drive. Form D737?

I used this some years ago when I realised my Spanish license did not list all my entitlements. ( i.e. I could not tow a trailer on my Spanish license has my original old UK one was issued before this became a seperate catagory )
Yes Fred but he's lost his UK licence and hasnt got a UK address at the moment to apply for a replacement
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes Fred but he's lost his UK licence and hasnt got a UK address at the moment to apply for a replacement
So I have to visit England to get a License that I have not got an address for ?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:02 pm
Senior Moment

So I have to visit England to get a License that I have not got an address for ?
You can renew a licence on line, so I assume you can get a replacement on line. Visit the DVLA site. So you probably wont have to go there, but you need an address
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can renew a licence on line, so I assume you can get a replacement on line. Visit the DVLA site. So you probably wont have to go there, but you need an address
DVLA Reply:-

I am sorry, but if you are no longer resident in GB, it is not possible to
reissue your British licence.

As you have lost your licence, please make enquiries with the Licence
Issuing Authority in the country in which you now reside regarding advice on
driving there.

Should the Spanish licensing authorities require confirmation of your driving
licence details, please telephone the Centre to request a certificate of
entitlement.

Switchboard Telephone No. 01792 78 2341

Opening Hours - Monday to Friday 8.15am - 4.30pm

A fee of £5.00 is charged to cover the cost of issuing a certificate giving
licensing details (a D737 certificate).

When you telephone the Centre you will be asked to provide your full
personal details or driver number and details of your credit/debit card
number (we accept Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard and Maestro). If the
credit/debit card holder is someone other than yourself we will also need to
speak to them.
--END PASTE--

I have heard lots of stories than non residents of Spain, English persons like myself, CAN get a Spanish License without being a resident.
As long as the health check is not older than 30days, NIE, D737, and a utility bill if needed are present at time of application made..

Shouldn’t be as bad as first thought. Get the D737 mailed to my Sister for forwarding to me overseas etc.
Then Spanish License when I visit next time around.

Beats visiting the most expensive Country in the World for gas and smokes etc :O
Cheers;

DSB
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:09 pm
Senior Moment

DVLA Reply:-

I am sorry, but if you are no longer resident in GB, it is not possible to
reissue your British licence.

As you have lost your licence, please make enquiries with the Licence
Issuing Authority in the country in which you now reside regarding advice on
driving there.

Should the Spanish licensing authorities require confirmation of your driving
licence details, please telephone the Centre to request a certificate of
entitlement.

Switchboard Telephone No. 01792 78 2341

Opening Hours - Monday to Friday 8.15am - 4.30pm

A fee of £5.00 is charged to cover the cost of issuing a certificate giving
licensing details (a D737 certificate).

When you telephone the Centre you will be asked to provide your full
personal details or driver number and details of your credit/debit card
number (we accept Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard and Maestro). If the
credit/debit card holder is someone other than yourself we will also need to
speak to them.
--END PASTE--

I have heard lots of stories than non residents of Spain, English persons like myself, CAN get a Spanish License without being a resident.
As long as the health check is not older than 30days, NIE, D737, and a utility bill if needed are present at time of application made..

Shouldn’t be as bad as first thought. Get the D737 mailed to my Sister for forwarding to me overseas etc.
Then Spanish License when I visit next time around.

Beats visiting the most expensive Country in the World for gas and smokes etc :O
Cheers;

DSB

You told them????
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:13 pm
Senior Moment

You told them????
Ahh, I see, you get the form which is in place of your licence which will allow the Spanish authorities to issue one .... cool, thats a useful piece of information
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

DSB
When I applied they posted the D737 to my overseas address
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 7th 2009 at 4:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.