Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Originally Posted by cricketman
That wasnt aimed at locals at all, it was aimed at tourists

Remember, only London gets more tourists than Barcelona in the world - and Barcelona is only a mid-sized city. So many tourists actually ruins the city in my opinion
WRONG again Cman, it WAS aimed at locals.

I watched a Spanish report on it when it was decided to bring it into operation and horror of horror it clearly showed locals going around bare chested and asked some of them what they thought about the new law.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it !
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
WRONG again Cman, it WAS aimed at locals.

I watched a Spanish report on it when it was decided to bring it into operation and horror of horror it clearly showed locals going around bare chested and asked some of them what they thought about the new law.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it !
Absolute rubbish. I saw the same report, it was about how disrespectful the tourists were

I lived in that area for nearly 2 years, to be fair the majority of people around there on any weekend are tourists (the problems are around Barceloneta and the port coming up Las ramblas)

Most "locals" stay well away from that area and try and escape the city at the weekend
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute rubbish. I saw the same report, it was about how disrespectful the tourists were

I lived in that area for nearly 2 years, to be fair the majority of people around there on any weekend are tourists (the problems are around Barceloneta and the port coming up Las ramblas)

Most "locals" stay well away from that area and try and escape the city at the weekend
funny how cities spend a fortune selling themselves to the rest of the world and then complain at the attitude(s) of those nasty guiri's who want to visit them.

Bournemouth has similar problems with those visiting for the beach etc, bringing their bad habits with them, driving the locals off to other areas - where they then become the grockles.

Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
funny how cities spend a fortune selling themselves to the rest of the world and then complain at the attitude(s) of those nasty guiri's who want to visit them.

Bournemouth has similar problems with those visiting for the beach etc, bringing their bad habits with them, driving the locals off to other areas - where they then become the grockles.

The problem in Barcelona is that the toruists have completely take the centre of the city over. It is not a very big city as it is trapped between the sea and the mountains

In the area I lived everything was geared to tourits, so canas were 3 euros, coctails for 10 euros etc. Restaurants were expensive and rubbish. We had to go further out of the centre to go anywhere decent

There was a campaign when I was there for the coucil to think more about the neighbours who lived there than the tourists. It seems to be a losing stuggle though. Many "locals" have long moved out of the city centre because living there is insufferable
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The problem in Barcelona is that the toruists have completely take the centre of the city over. It is not a very big city as it is trapped between the sea and the mountains

In the area I lived everything was geared to tourits, so canas were 3 euros, coctails for 10 euros etc. Restaurants were expensive and rubbish. We had to go further out of the centre to go anywhere decent

There was a campaign when I was there for the coucil to think more about the neighbours who lived there than the tourists. It seems to be a losing stuggle though. Many "locals" have long moved out of the city centre because living there is insufferable
having been a tourist in Barcelona more than 5 years ago, it was a problem then, but really no different to many many towns and cities around the world which cater for tourism. Its the desire to get out of the centre and out to the "real" Spain, Malaysia, Japan, Thailand etc that makes the difference.

if Barcelona isnt happy with its tourism income then perhaps putting off the cruise ship stopovers, raising aircraft landing fees, etc etc then perhaps the city will be able to get its "heart" back again.

But will it like what it has left when all the tourists have gone ? ?

`
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:19 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's causing so many problems, perhaps tourism should be banned. Travel strictly prohibited (well, without special papers anyway).

Then our cities and the population in general will be much better off.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
if Barcelona isnt happy with its tourism income then perhaps putting off the cruise ship stopovers, raising aircraft landing fees, etc etc then perhaps the city will be able to get its "heart" back again.
Barcelona is happy i.e. the council and the local businesses. As tourism raises lots of money

It is the people who live in the city who are not happy, especially those who live in the old town

You can not underestimated the number of tourists in Barcelona. It is the 2nd most visited city in the world, and in terms of square kms, is very small

Imo, in the past 10 years or so Barcelona has turned into a Disneyland of tourists and the real city has suffered as a result - it feels soulless

Sometimes you have to ask what is a city for. If it isnt for the people that live there, then that is really sad
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:07 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I've never understood the attraction to Barca. I'd consider 100's of other cities long before considering Barcelona for an extended holiday. Sure it has some interesting neighbourhoods, architecture, charming streets and decent nightlife, but I'd visit Seville over Barca anytime.

Seems some agree. Barcelona does rank far below London according to Mastercard.

For my money, I'd take many of the higher-raking cities, and quite of few of the lower-ranked as a holiday destination over Barcelona.

Still, living in a tourist destination as I do, I find the imposition of tourists sometimes annoying. But then again, I'm also pleased that it isn't entirely impoverished here (yet). It most certainly would be if it weren't for the tourists.

I would have to believe that Barcelona residents would be annoyed at times, too. But like any proper liberal-leaning population, complaining about what they don't get and should have would be perfectly normal. If some remote village doesn't have to deal with tourists, then neither should we. But we still want the benefits...

Oh, and that brings to mind... CMan, in case you weren't aware, Disneyland is in Paris (ranks 14 places higher than Barca).

Last edited by amideislas; Dec 6th 2012 at 12:22 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
You know, I've never understood the attraction to Barca. I'd consider 100's of other cities long before considering Barcelona for an extended holiday. Sure it has some interesting neighbourhoods, architecture, charming streets and decent nightlife, but I'd visit Seville over Barca anytime.

Seems some agree. Barcelona does rank far below London according to Mastercard.

For my money, I'd take many of the higher-raking cities, and quite of few of the lower-ranked as a holiday destination over Barcelona.

Still, living in a tourist destination as I do, I find the imposition of tourists sometimes annoying. But then again, I'm also pleased that it isn't entirely impoverished here (yet). It most certainly would be if it weren't for the tourists.

I would have to believe that Barcelona residents would be annoyed at times, too. But like any proper liberal-leaning population, complaining about what they don't get and should have would be perfectly normal. If some remote village doesn't have to deal with tourists, then neither should we. But we still want the benefits...

Oh, and that brings to mind... CMan, in case you weren't aware, Disneyland is in Paris.
What a load of vomit

Barcelona is a relatively rich city as is Cataunya as a whole. Way richer than the Southern parts of Spain that have just as many tourists, and richer than Mallorca which has more visitors than Barcelona

Barcelona is a great city for a weekend visit, as is Sevilla. It was way below my expectations for living there though, if we even had to go back, we would avoid the city centre because of the tourist culture
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:44 am
Banned

What a load of vomit

Barcelona is a relatively rich city as is Cataunya as a whole. Way richer than the Southern parts of Spain that have just as many tourists, and richer than Mallorca which has more visitors than Barcelona

Barcelona is a great city for a weekend visit, as is Sevilla. It was way below my expectations for living there though, if we even had to go back, we would avoid the city centre because of the tourist culture
A bit early to be tilting the sherry isn't it? OK OK that's your business.

Sheesh

EDIT: Just for the record, Mallorca doesn't even show up the same list as Barca. Most of the tourists here are people who've been coming for years, and know something about it. The smaller percentage are Brits that don't get out much or know much about anything more than 10 miles from home, yet believe they're "experts" because they watched "Benidorm". Sound Familiar?

Last edited by amideislas; Dec 6th 2012 at 12:57 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, in the past 10 years or so Barcelona has turned into a Disneyland of tourists and the real city has suffered as a result - it feels soulless

Sometimes you have to ask what is a city for. If it isnt for the people that live there, then that is really sad
I'll agree with this. The place no longer has any character. All style - no substance. The city functions, and is policed purely for the economic gain from tourism. It is not an artist friendly city. Despite selling itself on an heritage of art and architecture, today the only artists there are hipster twats toting mummy and daddies credit cards (not that I'm jealous)

I really don't enjoy the place, but I do enjoy smaller towns around Barcelona. It is a relatively cheap and easy city to get out of.

That said, it is a beautiful city and well worth a weekend visit if you're not expecting any real culture, and take care with your belongings. Not uncommon for stuff to vanish from hotel rooms also. For those who keep trying to deny Barcelona is exceptionally bad - go research some stats on travel sites. It has gone beyond exceptionally bad - it is the exception now.

The only Two central areas left with any real life IMO are Sant Pere and Barceloneta. It isn't just the tourists and tourist business that choke the heart out of the place, it is all the wealthy twats living there just to be seen to be living there. They don't do anything. They don't add any value to communities.

BTW: I was actually kidnapped in Barcelona once. Kidnapped by a Ferrari driving nutter with 3 houses. She bought a new set of clothes everyday. I was taken 'against my will' (*cough cough*) to a very swanky love hotel with mirrors everywhere. It all went a bit crass and ugly, but she didn't try to kill me, so I stayed for the free booze anyway. Long story probably best not put out in the public domain in full
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you have dreamt up your report Cman as usual.

There were no tourists to be seen or heard in the report I saw.
It consisted only of Spanish people speaking to Spanish reporters about the locals developing undesirable habits,especially wandering around bare chested and how the trend needed to be stopped.
Tourists are there one day and gone the next so of no great importance anyway, but the bare chested locals were clearly visible all the time creating a bad impression.
Nothing unusual about bare chested Spanish in public, Cman.
Though I don't suppose you've seen them at soccer matches either proudly displaying their Nazi tatoos.
Of course that was all put down to xenophobia, which as we all know by now is Spanish for racism.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:22 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer

BTW: I was actually kidnapped in Barcelona once. Kidnapped by a Ferrari driving nutter with 3 houses. She bought a new set of clothes everyday. I was taken 'against my will' (*cough cough*) to a very swanky love hotel with mirrors everywhere. It all went a bit crass and ugly, but she didn't try to kill me, so I stayed for the free booze anyway. Long story probably best not put out in the public domain in full
Jeez, aint life a Bitch at times.

Just trying to imagine you being driven away in a Ferrari, kicking and screaming, to a fate worse than death with a pistol to your balls by this wicked evil minded lady,...........

.....but somehow please excuse me if I'm finding it just a little difficult.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Jeez, aint life a Bitch at times.

Just trying to imagine you being driven away in a Ferrari, kicking and screaming, to a fate worse than death with a pistol to your balls by this wicked evil minded lady,...........

.....but somehow please excuse me if I'm finding it just a little difficult.
I noted that it was only the once, so ....................

`
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:52 am
Banned

Remember, only London gets more tourists than Barcelona in the world - and Barcelona is only a mid-sized city.
Of all the topics you are an "expert" in, is there even ONE you actually know anything about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.