Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:11 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Originally Posted by amideislas
Been to Paris lately? London? Madrid?

Although apparently it's becoming rarer in New York these days.

Certainly here in Palma de Mallorca, pickpockets are all over. Magalluf has an even worse problem.
I wonder how the good people of "Mugalluf" would take to zero tolerance policing,....or more especially the bad ones ?

Would it be racism I hear them cry as is often the case elsewhere, whilst the fluffy bunnies stand by with expressions of shock, horror at such terrible infringements of human rights ?

Suppose it matters not that innocent folk are being mugged and beaten to a pulp to boot on a regular basis.
Obviouly much simpler not to bother and leave it as it is, somewhat akin to the frontline of a warzone.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I travel quite a lot and I take personal security VERY seriously. The only place I was ever seriously worried was in Seville where there was a gang in the middle of a quiet plaza who I'm sure would have beaten anyone (with a long bar) foolish enough to go anywhere near.
Have a decoy bag round your neck with a few quid and an unusable card in. keep the rest very very safe indeed inside your clothes with no strings showing. I also have a very useful 'front pack'. (from Coronel Tapiocca) I've even made some extra strings for it which cross over my back and clip under the bag itself.
Touch wood I've never had anything taken yet. But I did catch a very ordinary looking bloke with his hands on my 'carry on' bag zipper by then half open on a metro in Madrid. I said very loudly to my husband so the rest of the carriage could hear. "This guy here has just tried to open my bag!" I thought it safer than challenging him directly. Nothing was taken.
Take care people. It seems obvious to say but thieves would always prefer an easy target to a careful one.
Very good advice. And DON'T LEAVE STUFF ON THE BEACH WHILE YOU GO SWIMMING! I have met at least three people who have had cameras, phones and money nicked this summer. There are people who just watch and wait ...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I travel quite a lot and I take personal security VERY seriously. The only place I was ever seriously worried was in Seville where there was a gang in the middle of a quiet plaza who I'm sure would have beaten anyone (with a long bar) foolish enough to go anywhere near.
Have a decoy bag round your neck with a few quid and an unusable card in. keep the rest very very safe indeed inside your clothes with no strings showing. I also have a very useful 'front pack'. (from Coronel Tapiocca) I've even made some extra strings for it which cross over my back and clip under the bag itself.
Touch wood I've never had anything taken yet. But I did catch a very ordinary looking bloke with his hands on my 'carry on' bag zipper by then half open on a metro in Madrid. I said very loudly to my husband so the rest of the carriage could hear. "This guy here has just tried to open my bag!" I thought it safer than challenging him directly. Nothing was taken.
Take care people. It seems obvious to say but thieves would always prefer an easy target to a careful one.

In a crowded environment like a street market, I always carry my purse in my hand rather than in any type of bag. My OH thinks it's foolhardy, but I reckon pickpockets would rather steal by stealth rather than risk a confrontation by trying to snatch something out of my hand, and I don't reckon I'm an easy target for that anyway. If they want to try, they can go ahead.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
In a crowded environment like a street market, I always carry my purse in my hand rather than in any type of bag. My OH thinks it's foolhardy, but I reckon pickpockets would rather steal by stealth rather than risk a confrontation by trying to snatch something out of my hand, and I don't reckon I'm an easy target for that anyway. If they want to try, they can go ahead.
Not at all foolhardy.

Petty thieves always seek low-hanging fruit. So, as long as you make it obviously difficult or risky for them, your chances of getting robbed go down dramatically.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Not at all foolhardy.

Petty thieves always seek low-hanging fruit. So, as long as you make it obviously difficult or risky for them, your chances of getting robbed go down dramatically.
That's what I think. After the last time my purse was stolen, I also bought a small bell (similar to the type you'd put on a cat's collar) and attached it to my purse to lessen the possibility that someone could remove it from my bag without me knowing. So far, so good!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

matthecool is an unknown quantity at this point

To solve this from happening again, I bought a 20 euro phone lol
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Is Barcelona really worse than other big cities? Or is it because there are lots of tourists looking at the sights and not paying attention to their belongings? Best just not to carry cash or valuables where they can be got at!

Sorry about what happened to you though Matt, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

It is notoriously worse than most cities. The centre isn't even that big. I haven't read the entire thread.

Barcelona is targeted by gangs of pickpockets, bag snatchers and other street thieves for One single reason: If you are caught taking less than €200 worth of goods/cash (who knows how you prove that other than cash) there is NO PUNISHMENT! You simply fill out the forms and get back to 'work' tomorrow.

A friend of mine has half-heartedly written a book; 101 ways to get robbed in Barcelona. I'm pretty sure he could have enough material for a second volume also.

For those who don't know, I spend a lot of time working on the streets of Spanish (and European) cities working as an artist. I notice everything, and I mean everything. I also work alongside many other street artists, performers, musicians etc. They notice everything also. Nobody doubts just how bad Barcelona is. It is rapidly gaining a very bad reputation in travel guides worldwide.

I was in Barcelona about this time last year. Working on Paseo Arc de Triomph I had several run-ins with bag snatchers. I just don't want them around me, so I tell them to **** off, or face the consequences. After several conversations I gave up trying to reason with them. Myself and a rollerblading friend held a couple of them whilst waiting for police to arrive. The very next day the same Two were snatching bags again dressed in brand new designer gear.

On one occasion I was approached by a policia secreto couple who asked me if I had seen anything. So, I told them. At 3pm everyday a guy rides down here on the left whilst another guy rides down the paseo on the right. They then text their mates to let them know if there are any possible targets. To the credit of the police they listened and caught a handful a couple of days later.

It is a problem that spoils many peoples holiday break in a beautiful city. My top tip...

If anyone asks you if you speak English - act dumb and walk away. They have several very clever techniques. But, normally the first approach is "do you speak English?". That is if they don't just sneak up behind you and take a dip.

The other giveaway is that they all wear brand new, designer running shoes. Look at their feet. If they wear Nike, Puma, or Adidas, then they are not to be trusted Yeah - I know, never judge a man by his shoes!

Thirdly, much as it pains me to say it, they are all Moroccan. They will claim to be Algerian, but they are all Moroccan. After several 'conversations' with many of them I was left with the distinct impression that they felt they were not doing anything wrong, because they only steal from tourists (not Barcelona people) and the police let them do it. Time, and time again, the police let them do it.

That is the low-down. Make of it what you will. I am seriously tempted to believe a bit of police job protection. Just 12 thieves work Paseo Arc de Triomph. The police know who they.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

I feel inclined to add a warning that this is Barcelona's problem. The vast majority of cities in Spain are incredibly safe. I've been working in Madrid for about Five months, and only once have I found it necessary to warn a couple of tourists to be careful, because I had watched them being targeted. In Barcelona it was more like 10 times a day, and I'm not particularly looking out for it.

Barcelona is not just spoiling its own reputation, the lack of action is giving Spain a bad reputation.

Normally, pickpockets and bag snatchers target single people and young couples, or very commonly young females. That is the sort of coward a typical thief is.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I feel inclined to add a warning that this is Barcelona's problem. The vast majority of cities in Spain are incredibly safe. I've been working in Madrid for about Five months, and only once have I found it necessary to warn a couple of tourists to be careful, because I had watched them being targeted. In Barcelona it was more like 10 times a day, and I'm not particularly looking out for it.

Barcelona is not just spoiling its own reputation, the lack of action is giving Spain a bad reputation.

Normally, pickpockets and bag snatchers target single people and young couples, or very commonly young females. That is the sort of coward a typical thief is.
Thanks for the info as I will be at the airport soon. I'll take a taxi to my destination in Barcelona. In the recent past in the Sol area of Madrid I distinctly felt uneasy but I guess that is the lot of a tourist in a big city.

regards

jonboy
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which is the worst of the two evils the thieves themselves, or the cops who are letting it happen.
Surely they must be on the take from whoever runs these gangs of pickpockets ?
There again surely the authorities can't be totally blind to what is happening in their city ?
If the cops had a mind to stamp hard on it then I'm sure they could do so,... literally,...as I believe you are well aware yourself.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
If the cops had a mind to stamp hard on it then I'm sure they could do so,... literally,...as I believe you are well aware yourself.

I seem to get along with most police fine these days. Most of them know me now. I'm still cautious mind!

Many theories abound on the streets of Barcelona for why street theft is tolerated to such a ridiculous extent. It isn't like the Mossos have a reputation for non-violent policing.

Word to me from someone who might know is that street theft doesn't actually pay too well. It's just a convenient cover for something else from Morocco. I don't believe this. As I said before, I'm more inclined to believe it is just about police protecting their own jobs in times when many forces are being threatened with cut backs. If the police took the 12 guys off that particular paseo the crime rate would drop 95% and give the money people at the head of the force good reason to make some job cuts.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:19 pm
On the road again.

Strange theory.
Sounds like a kids game of hide and seek with everyone coming back out to play again the next day.
To be hoped that someone in authority starts to take it seriously fairly soon.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strange theory.
Sounds like a kids game of hide and seek with everyone coming back out to play again the next day.
To be hoped that someone in authority starts to take it seriously fairly soon.
Not far away from the fact. It is a game to those who play it.

No game to anyone who has to go through all the hassle and expense of replacing bank cards, passport, cameras, cash etc. Even with travel insurance that actually covers you it is no fun.

As for the 'strange theory'... naturally people ask questions (myself included). Why is it allowed to continue? We all come up with our own theories
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:20 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Not far away from the fact. It is a game to those who play it.

No game to anyone who has to go through all the hassle and expense of replacing bank cards, passport, cameras, cash etc. Even with travel insurance that actually covers you it is no fun.

As for the 'strange theory'... naturally people ask questions (myself included). Why is it allowed to continue? We all come up with our own theories
Maybe time the insurance companies joined in the game with a special clause and premium for anyone visiting Barcelona, just as they have for houses built on flood plains.

Couldn't blame them if they did and say bumped up the premium 3 or 4 fold or even excluded cover altogether for those visiting Barca.

Maybe put it on a par with visiting Helmand province for instance, then someone may sit up and take notice.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe put it on a par with visiting Helmand province for instance, then someone may sit up and take notice.
I lived on the "paseo arc de triumf", actually called "passeig lluis companys" for nearly 2 years

I used to walk around there and the nearby parc ciutadella every day. Never did I feel unsafe, although I did see a couple of tourists get their bag snatched

As always, it is a matter of context. I felt much more scared walking back from the pub in the dark of London

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.