Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be careful in Barcelona !! regards to pick pockets.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Prostitution isnt a crime in Spain
thank you for filling in my education, and it would appear that pickpocketing, bag snatching etc is, but is not prosecutable.

so we have National Police, Local Police and Trafico and they can't stop a few pickpockets who have turned it into an industry
perhaps the police are spending too much time with the prostitutes
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:35 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Many a true word..............
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:58 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Is Barcelona really worse than other big cities?
No. Same as any big city, anywhere.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

I think the problem of pickpockets is particularly bad in Barcelona. I had my purse stolen on the Ramblas about 8 years ago. My own fault, it was in my handbag which was in another bag slung over my shoulder and I was too busy taking photos.
I reported it because I lost a credit and debit card, fortunately not much cash. It was obviously a very common problem because there was a readily available multilingual form to fill in.
Annoyingly, although my cards were cancel they kept being used in the toll booths on the AP7 for months afterwards.
I'm much more careful now but prior to this I'd been to many cities and not experience problems.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
I think the problem of pickpockets is particularly bad in Barcelona. I had my purse stolen on the Ramblas about 8 years ago. My own fault, it was in my handbag which was in another bag slung over my shoulder and I was too busy taking photos.
I reported it because I lost a credit and debit card, fortunately not much cash. It was obviously a very common problem because there was a readily available multilingual form to fill in.
Annoyingly, although my cards were cancel they kept being used in the toll booths on the AP7 for months afterwards.
I'm much more careful now but prior to this I'd been to many cities and not experience problems.
I think the problem exists in all crowded places where there are lots of tourists - I have had purses stolen in Amsterdam and Paris but escaped Barcelona unscathed! After that you'd think I'd be more wary, but only last year a purse with over €200 in it was stolen from my handbag whilst I was being jostled in a bus queue in Nerja. Yes, it was my own fault really as the bag didn't have a secure enough fastening. I'm more careful with the type of bag I buy now and how I carry it.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:30 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Paris lately? London? Madrid?

Although apparently it's becoming rarer in New York these days.

Certainly here in Palma de Mallorca, pickpockets are all over. Magalluf has an even worse problem.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:03 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Certainly here in Palma de Mallorca, pickpockets are all over. Magalluf has an even worse problem.
Jeez, that "Mugalluf" situation is a real shocker.

I wouldn't go within a mile of the place, if I was offered a thousand quid to do so.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Jeez, that "Mugalluf" situation is a real shocker.

I wouldn't go within a mile of the place, if I was offered a thousand quid to do so.
I know.... It's not pretty, and I do understand that there are some limits imposed by EU law that prevent them from arresting them. I admit I don't know the details, or whether that's really the limitation or not.

The Calvia council seems not too worried about it yet, until of course their precious tourist revenue takes a hit, then a cleanup operation will take effect faster than you can say "mugalluf".

Luckily the bad stuff is limited to Mugalluf at this point. The rest of the island is lovely.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amideislas

Yes, of course I'm not saying its only Barcelona, just that Barcelona is known to be particularly bad and I experienced that. I think Lynn got it right when she talked of crowded places where its easy to get jostled. I tend to avoid these as much as possible nowadays especially in high season. Also I never carry a lot of cash and make sure I have the phone number to cancel my credit card handy.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course I'm not saying its only Barcelona, just that Barcelona is known to be particularly bad and I experienced that. I think Lynn got it right when she talked of crowded places where its easy to get jostled. I tend to avoid these as much as possible nowadays especially in high season. Also I never carry a lot of cash and make sure I have the phone number to cancel my credit card handy.
sounds like good advice - but it is surprising how many people will refuse to accept it.
on's personal safety - for the person and one's valuables - seems to be many people never think about, until the suddenly find things have gone missing. They will continually flash the cash, flash the bling, acting out the scenario of the big spender. Then express horror that someone has taken it from them.

If you wouldn't do it in Nigeria, Japan, Brazil and many many other countries of the world why is it because you "feel comfortable" here to let your guard down, even when you know there is a high potential for theft ? ? ?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
sounds like good advice - but it is surprising how many people will refuse to accept it.
on's personal safety - for the person and one's valuables - seems to be many people never think about, until the suddenly find things have gone missing. They will continually flash the cash, flash the bling, acting out the scenario of the big spender. Then express horror that someone has taken it from them.

If you wouldn't do it in Nigeria, Japan, Brazil and many many other countries of the world why is it because you "feel comfortable" here to let your guard down, even when you know there is a high potential for theft ? ? ?
Yes but don't you just love it when they advise you 'Not to look like a tourist'
Lets see now, I have my camera, my guidebook, map, bottle of water, err... just trying to blend in with the locals.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:41 pm

Yes but don't you just love it when they advise you 'Not to look like a tourist'
Lets see now, I have my camera, my guidebook, map, bottle of water, err... just trying to blend in with the locals.

and even if dressed as a local, without the accoutrements, the fact you are looking up, down, around, at the culture, architecture etc will also make you a tourist.
locals shuffle around, heads down, not looking at anything around them.

`
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

When/if Catalonia becomes an independent country perhaps its capital will become safer. Until the new state becomes a member of the EU then Eastern Europeans will just be transported over the border into Spain!

Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Biffta
When/if Catalonia becomes an independent country perhaps its capital will become safer. Until the new state becomes a member of the EU then Eastern Europeans will just be transported over the border into Spain!

can you guarantee that ?
if they can do it then then they can do it now
but where there is no desire there is no action

Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Nope the rumanians picked my bag in London 3 weeks ago the best thing about it I looked her straight in the eyes while she was doing it
I thought I was careful obviously not careful enough. They just cut the bag string which was I thought hidden under my coat and waited for it to drop.
easy 400 quid blackberry phone and card.
Police could not do anything insufficient evidence.
Insurance did not pay out either as I did not stay in London more than 2 nights in the small print of course.
I travel quite a lot and I take personal security VERY seriously. The only place I was ever seriously worried was in Seville where there was a gang in the middle of a quiet plaza who I'm sure would have beaten anyone (with a long bar) foolish enough to go anywhere near.
Have a decoy bag round your neck with a few quid and an unusable card in. keep the rest very very safe indeed inside your clothes with no strings showing. I also have a very useful 'front pack'. (from Coronel Tapiocca) I've even made some extra strings for it which cross over my back and clip under the bag itself.
Touch wood I've never had anything taken yet. But I did catch a very ordinary looking bloke with his hands on my 'carry on' bag zipper by then half open on a metro in Madrid. I said very loudly to my husband so the rest of the carriage could hear. "This guy here has just tried to open my bag!" I thought it safer than challenging him directly. Nothing was taken.
Take care people. It seems obvious to say but thieves would always prefer an easy target to a careful one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.