Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can i ask your opinion.....

can i ask your opinion.....

Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:20 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i ask your opinion.....

My experience of weddings in Galicia has always been to give money. Well, not exactly give money to the bride and groom on the wedding day. What happens is you get their bank details send with the wedding invitation. You are supposed to give the amount of the meal x per head, plus a sum on top. So as you can see for a family it is very pricey. People in Galicia spend a fortune on the wedding meal because is is all sea food (not the cheap stuff either) and it is an "eat until you explode" nosh up. No little canapes up there, no siree. It is advisable to have an elastic waistband.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:28 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
good idea we could start a 'BE featherbum wedding fund', if you all give me a euro each i will prob end up with a nice amount (oh i am joking by the way, in case someone took me seriously and tries to go nuts at me like the maniacs on the other forum lol)

i am getting eating alive on the other forum, i wanna unsuscribe and i cant, arrggh! i must admit, i did wind them up as much as i could -
Post the link, send in the big guns (us), we will put them in their place. My opinion about money or present, is ; why complicate your life, ask for what you want or need. When a couple have been living together for a while they will already have a fondue set (or 3), so the cash would be better. Also if they are just starting out life together, and nice little "tantito" (Wodge) is still better than a fondue set.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:40 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
You would have got sand and cement off me then cos theres no way I can give money instead of a gift!
And it would have been very much appreciated too
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:28 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

When my daughter was planning her wedding two years ago she asked for money to be paid into an account that was going to be put towards the deposit to buy there first house. They had lived together for 10 years in a flat so it made so much more sense to do this. As far as I know this seemed to go down well with people, my siblings and their families all put £25 each in, it didn't have to be a great amount it is after all the thought that counts.

My daughter said that her friends who married the year before asked for travel vouchers from a certain travel agency as they were going to live in Dubai after they married in a furnished flat so they didn't need anything but they wanted to be able to fly back to the UK and visit family and friends at least once in the time they were going to be there. Again this couple has lived together for quite a few years.

Featherbum if you want to ask for money then go ahead and do it, some people may feel embarrassed about the whole thing and even worry that they can only afford to give a small amount so it is important to make them feel that every little penny will add up into big pounds.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

I didn't have a list but when people asked I said I'd rather have the money.

If I'm going to an all day wedding I give £100, for evening reception £50
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:38 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoJo76
I didn't have a list but when people asked I said I'd rather have the money.

If I'm going to an all day wedding I give £100, for evening reception £50
Toasters are a lot cheaper!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Originally Posted by me me
Post the link, send in the big guns (us), we will put them in their place. .
I think thats a great idea,
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:29 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread, when my daughter got married in the UK she had a whole list on the internet (with John Lewis I think) and people could log on and choose from a towel to a toaster or whatever off the list and "buy" on-line. Only afterwards did my daughter say that when all is done and dusted, the store will actually tell the couple how much has been bought and will allow them to use that credit to buy their own preferences from the store. So in some way it was like giving cash in the first place although everyone felt as if they had made their own little contribution to the happy household.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys!

by popular demand here is the thread link

i am warning you i was a bit errrr ummm feisty, i cant stand it when people wind me up...! go for it, lets all gang up against them!

I am trying not to look in there at the mo as i am stressed enough as it is, getting married and emigrating all whithin 4 weeks, well 3 and a bit now!!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...t=cash+wedding

ooops i put the thread for page 6, do start from page 1 for priceless entertainemnt, or if you are a tight git to learn some tricks to pretend you are more generous than you really are haha!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Hi Featherbum
followed the link, yes it does make interesting reading doesn't it? I was up bright and early today and had nothing else to do so I have joined and left a post giving my 2 pennys worth. Lets see what kind of response I get
I am not surprised they made you angry, what a bunch of pr*ts
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Christine.J
Hi Featherbum
followed the link, yes it does make interesting reading doesn't it? I was up bright and early today and had nothing else to do so I have joined and left a post giving my 2 pennys worth. Lets see what kind of response I get
I am not surprised they made you angry, what a bunch of pr*ts
thanks!!! i am glad you agree with me, those vultures were starting to make me paranoid!!!
they are just unreal!

it certainly makes interesting reading doest it!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi featherbum
Yes it makes very interesting reading. I don't normally get very involed in things on these sites (I'm more of a quiet lurker) well until now . I was just really shocked at how quick they were to pounce on you. They must have very sad little lives, don't let it worry you.
just out of interest what have you asked for for your wedding? (I hope you have asked for euros)
Christine
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:26 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to ignore them. So often there are sad, inadequate little people out there who are only able to feel good by attacking others.

The upside is that such trollish types, being less intelligent, leave themselves open to mockery through poor language skills and so on. ;-)
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
You just have to ignore them. So often there are sad, inadequate little people out there who are only able to feel good by attacking others.
Sounds like my mother in law
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:06 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences. My mother in law was a sweetheart. It was my mother I couldn't stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.