Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can i ask your opinion.....

can i ask your opinion.....

Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default can i ask your opinion.....

do you think its rude for the bride and groom to ask for money as their wedding gift?

i was invited to a wedding and they asked for money, which i thought was absolutely fine. The way i see it is, if thats what they want, and need, why give them something else?

Anyway, i did a search online looking for an indication on how much is appropiate, and i came across this forum, money saving expert (soo the worng place i guess ) and they were all going NUTS saying how rude it is etc etc, so i got involved saying there is nothing wrong with that, and thats what we put on our own wedding list, and i got my head bitten off SO much it was actually rather amusing.

The thing is it was sooo funny, they were all giving each other advise on how to get around the bride and groom asking for cash, some of the advice as follows:

-give them euros or dollars so it looks like you gave them more
-if they are asking for ££ for a loft conversion pay the builder directly so you know where the money is going
-get them vouchers for b&q, same reason as above.

the way i see it is, if i give someone moeny is cause i want to, and cause i want them to enjoy it, and i really dont care what they do with it as long as its enjoyed.

Anyway i was just wondering what people think.... as i am finding it rather shocking!!!

night to all! xx
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice
Default Re: can i ask your opinion.....

I think it's ok for the Bride and Groom to ask for what ever it is that they want, money, tokens or to give out a wedding present list. I would much rather give money that they can spend on what they actually need rather than buy something that sits in the back of a dusty cupboard until it eventually gets thrown away years later having never been used. Plus these days a lot of people live together before getting married so they already have most household objects. Lets face it how many toasters does a person need
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather a couple asked for money from people than have a wedding present list set up in an expensive shop that had things on it that I cannot afford. At least with money you can give what you want.

Rosemary
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:41 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Giving them money seems eminently sensible. Plus, it's the custom in other countries too.

Featherbum, the comments you posted make those people seem really mean.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you brought this up.

I have friends who are getting married after several years together who have everything they need for the house they live in. BUT - they are a bit hard up owing to the present recession and him being a self employed tradesman. I want to give them money as it makes so much more sense, but felt unsure about it and whether it would be acceptable.

Thanks to this thread, I shall definitely give them cash.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:59 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a recognised amount?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think there is a particular amount as such, i always struggle to decide how much!

In Spain (where, at least where i come from) people tend to give you however much you spent on them, say the restaurant is charging you 100 euros per head, for arguments sake, then each guest will give you that amount as their present.

I am shocked how viciously attacked i got in the other forum so i am glad to see we are not weirdos- nor most of our friends who have all asked for money so far!!
They even accused me of inviting people i dont even know to my wedding just to get some extra cash!!

am i allowed to put the link in here, so you can all have an amusing time reading it? (must warn you i got quite feisty with them )
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
i dont think there is a particular amount as such, i always struggle to decide how much!

In Spain (where, at least where i come from) people tend to give you however much you spent on them, say the restaurant is charging you 100 euros per head, for arguments sake, then each guest will give you that amount as their present.

I am shocked how viciously attacked i got in the other forum so i am glad to see we are not weirdos- nor most of our friends who have all asked for money so far!!
They even accused me of inviting people i dont even know to my wedding just to get some extra cash!!

am i allowed to put the link in here, so you can all have an amusing time reading it? (must warn you i got quite feisty with them )
You can put a link, but everybody please read and respect rule 8 of this site, thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:55 am
CHIPPIE2

chippie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ya

my son was recently married and he ask for money as a gift from everyone ,because they had been living together for a few years had a house and a little boy ,no probs so everone did that so they felt that the money would be better spent on other things hope this eases your conscience :
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:07 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

When I got married (for the 2nd time!), in lieu of gifts we asked for money or something for the wedding itself so, one guy provided the wedding car, others their bands etc. Nobody had a problem with it (or if they did, they didn't say!). One friend framed a 50 pound note with a label saying "Break glass in case of emergency"! After we divorced...I did!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:18 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

do you think its rude for the bride and groom to ask for money as their wedding gift?

i was invited to a wedding and they asked for money, which i thought was absolutely fine. The way i see it is, if thats what they want, and need, why give them something else?

Anyway, i did a search online looking for an indication on how much is appropiate, and i came across this forum, money saving expert (soo the worng place i guess ) and they were all going NUTS saying how rude it is etc etc, so i got involved saying there is nothing wrong with that, and thats what we put on our own wedding list, and i got my head bitten off SO much it was actually rather amusing.

The thing is it was sooo funny, they were all giving each other advise on how to get around the bride and groom asking for cash, some of the advice as follows:

-give them euros or dollars so it looks like you gave them more
-if they are asking for ££ for a loft conversion pay the builder directly so you know where the money is going
-get them vouchers for b&q, same reason as above.

the way i see it is, if i give someone moeny is cause i want to, and cause i want them to enjoy it, and i really dont care what they do with it as long as its enjoyed.

Anyway i was just wondering what people think.... as i am finding it rather shocking!!!

night to all! xx

Hi featherbum
We asked for money for our wedding as we had been living together for about 4 years so more or less had everything we needed - we were extending the house so we asked for either money or bags of sand or cement lol - not very traditional eh lol
Love Sam xxxx
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:20 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi featherbum
We asked for money for our wedding as we had been living together for about 4 years so more or less had everything we needed - we were extending the house so we asked for either money or bags of sand or cement lol - not very traditional eh lol
Love Sam xxxx
You would have got sand and cement off me then cos theres no way I can give money instead of a gift!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
When I got married (for the 2nd time!), in lieu of gifts we asked for money or something for the wedding itself so, one guy provided the wedding car, others their bands etc. Nobody had a problem with it (or if they did, they didn't say!). One friend framed a 50 pound note with a label saying "Break glass in case of emergency"! After we divorced...I did!
i think thats really nice too, for example a friend rang and offered me a room at a lovely hotel on the seafront for our wedding night as a present and i thought that was a lovely thought!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:56 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

i think thats really nice too, for example a friend rang and offered me a room at a lovely hotel on the seafront for our wedding night as a present and i thought that was a lovely thought!
My stepdaughter and her husband did the same they just told everyone that they had been living toether for a long time and didnt need the normal stuff and if pp didnt mind they would like funds towards there garden project
Send me a link I would love to add my three pennys worth on your side of course LOL
Sharon
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gallerie9
My stepdaughter and her husband did the same they just told everyone that they had been living toether for a long time and didnt need the normal stuff and if pp didnt mind they would like funds towards there garden project
Send me a link I would love to add my three pennys worth on your side of course LOL
Sharon
good idea we could start a 'BE featherbum wedding fund', if you all give me a euro each i will prob end up with a nice amount (oh i am joking by the way, in case someone took me seriously and tries to go nuts at me like the maniacs on the other forum lol)

i am getting eating alive on the other forum, i wanna unsuscribe and i cant, arrggh! i must admit, i did wind them up as much as i could -

Last edited by featherbum; Jul 6th 2008 at 2:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.