Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying Kindle in UK for use in Spain?

On my old Kindle 3G I could not only download books but could also open a browser and access my emails etc. pretty slow and clunky but handy as it was always free. peops tell me that the newer kindle 3Gs do not permit a browser - so the only thing you can do on the move is download books - correct?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can still do it but it is limited to only 50MB/mth

http://gigaom.com/mobile/amazon-limi...r-3g-to-50-mb/
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

That link was highly US oriented and in fact stated that within the US Unlimited 3G was still available. The 50MB limit applying only out of country. Anybody got a UK or Euro perspective?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
On my old Kindle 3G I could not only download books but could also open a browser and access my emails etc. pretty slow and clunky but handy as it was always free. peops tell me that the newer kindle 3Gs do not permit a browser - so the only thing you can do on the move is download books - correct?
My Kindle 3G does have a browser - (and it seems to be the latest before the new September releases. If I could find out how to put the screen in landscape mode for the browser then it would be much more usable, as it is you have to scoll left and right and view very small print. But it does seem to work OK.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
My Kindle 3G does have a browser - (and it seems to be the latest before the new September releases. If I could find out how to put the screen in landscape mode for the browser then it would be much more usable, as it is you have to scoll left and right and view very small print. But it does seem to work OK.
To put it in landscape:

At the bottom of the keypad there is a key with two A's. Click on that and you will find the screen orientation option
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Had an email from Amazon es today saying they will be selling the Kindle fire in Spain from 25th Oct. Its now available to pre-order.
They don't seem to have a 3G model available here though and on the UK site there is only the keyboard version available with 3G.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
My Kindle 3G does have a browser - (and it seems to be the latest before the new September releases. If I could find out how to put the screen in landscape mode for the browser then it would be much more usable, as it is you have to scoll left

and right and view very small print. But it does seem to work OK.
Have done this but the print still seems to remain small. Unreadable sometimes.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Had an email from Amazon es today saying they will be selling the Kindle fire in Spain from 25th Oct. Its now available to pre-order.
They don't seem to have a 3G model available here though and on the UK site there is only the keyboard version available with 3G.
It is in the news today cost 129 GBP.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Have done this but the print still seems to remain small. Unreadable sometimes.
There is a menu option "article mode" which enlarges the font, the reverse is "web mode". But I still haven't managed to get into landscape on the browser - I don't seem to have the AA on my (soft) keyboard, I have tried going into the browser from the reader in landscape but this didn't work.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

It is in the news today cost 129 GBP.
I think you are referring to the Kindle Fire - 2 new models launched in the UK and 3 here in Spain. They mention Wi-Fi but they don't say they have 3G.

In Spain they cost e159, e199 & e249.

The one of them can be bought with 4G but only in the US. They are trying to compete with the IPad.

They make a big deal about not needing to use a computer but you don't have to with the other models either if you have wi-fi.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
So, now it appears that buying a top of the range Kindle is a good idea, what is the best option for buying

a) buy in UK and bring back after a visit
b) buy in Spain

You can do either and still register the kindle on the UK site if thats what you prefer.
As someone said earlier - you need to have a UK address in your amazon address book but it doesn't have to be the same address your credit card is registered to.

I just cracked and ordered a Kindle touch yesterday from the ES site. (The new Fire models are too expensive for me and do lots of things I don't need)

They sent me an email in english telling me how to set it up when I get it. It will come automatically registered to me in Spain but there are 2 things you can do 1)de-register it and then re-register it to someone else entirely (this is in case you bought it as a gift). Or keep it registered to yourself but go into 'Manage my Kindle' and change the address to a UK address in your address book. I just changed mine to my Mum's with no problem. It warned me that I would now have to buy books in £ from the UK site.
I then registered the automatic payment method as one of the credit cards I already have on the site which is linked to my spanish address - again no problem.
So I'm all set and just waiting for the MRW van
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
You can do either and still register the kindle on the UK site if thats what you prefer.
As someone said earlier - you need to have a UK address in your amazon address book but it doesn't have to be the same address your credit card is registered to.

I just cracked and ordered a Kindle touch yesterday from the ES site. (The new Fire models are too expensive for me and do lots of things I don't need)

They sent me an email in english telling me how to set it up when I get it. It will come automatically registered to me in Spain but there are 2 things you can do 1)de-register it and then re-register it to someone else entirely (this is in case you bought it as a gift). Or keep it registered to yourself but go into 'Manage my Kindle' and change the address to a UK address in your address book. I just changed mine to my Mum's with no problem. It warned me that I would now have to buy books in £ from the UK site.
I then registered the automatic payment method as one of the credit cards I already have on the site which is linked to my spanish address - again no problem.
So I'm all set and just waiting for the MRW van
Could you not buy it on the Amazon.co.uk site and then have the delivery address as Spain with free delivery as it is over 25 quid?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I read on the news somewhere that the basic one has been reduced to 69 quid.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not buy it on the Amazon.co.uk site and then have the delivery address as Spain with free delivery as it is over 25 quid?
No. They will force you to the Spanish site - it's cheaper there anyway.

The price of the basic Kindle has been reduced to £69 or €79 in Spain which equates to £63

I think it's a fire sale before they make the new all white screen model the basic offering.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
No. They will force you to the Spanish site - it's cheaper there anyway.

The price of the basic Kindle has been reduced to £69 or €79 in Spain which equates to £63

I think it's a fire sale before they make the new all white screen model the basic offering.
Don't think it is a fire sale Fred, the spec of the basic model has been changed a bit. I think its lighter now and they are advertising 'faster page turning'. Its not available until Tuesday.
The paperwhite version is not going to be available outside the US. Not yet anyway. Its a shame because it would obviously be popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.