Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Burgled- What would you do?

Burgled- What would you do?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burgled- What would you do?

18 months ago we were burgled, they got away with about 5000€ of goods and cash from our house. It wasn't the only one, 5 other properties were also done in the same two nights.

Anyway over the course of time the gang were caught, 3 Spaniards, 3 East Europeans and 1 Brit. Nothing more had been heard of since, no further contact from the police etc, just rumours that they all got prison sentences.

Then last week whilst having a drink in the local bar we were talking of the burglary and it turns out that the Brit guy still lives in the next village to ours! He was the 'setter-upper' spied out all the properties to burgle and drove the van.

My blood began to boil knowing that he was still in the area and could commit the same acts again and my mind began to think whether a little bit of vigilante-ism should come into play? It wouldn't be too hard to find out who it is, but the quandary is, do you leave him be and hope it never happens again? Or do you take matters into your own hands with the prospect that he will still be there to exact revenge on your home once you return to the UK??
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burgled- What would you do?

As tempting as it is to hunt the guy down,I'd probably let sleeping dogs lie.Two wrongs don't make a right!Just ensure your property is extremely secure and if you go away,try and get the (trustworthy)neighbours to check your house daily.Its a worry I know,and abit icky that the loser is in the next village,can totally understand how you feel.It goes without saying,that if you have an valuables,stick them in a safe,and make sure your insurance policies are up to date.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:53 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I could and would do isn´t possible to put on here!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

what i would do is consider the backgrounds of the burglars. were they deprived as children,probably not properly potty trained? were they bullied early on in life,perhaps they weren't shown enough love?
then i would take a large baseball bat to the side of their heads. simples.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live we have an extremely efficient neighbourhood watch scheme, which would deal with the problem, but I presume from your post that you haven’t got one.

Your local mayor will be interested in the safety of his citizens and should be informed, you’re bound to know someone locally who can pass on the relevant information and if the mayor speaks to the authorities, probably the Guardia Civil, they will listen.

Other than that, revenge is a terrible emotion which will have a negative effect on your life. Easier said than done though, isn’t it?

(I’m really surprised that my halo hasn’t fallen off). Yet.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 7:50 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Two points to remember.

1. The best revenge is living well.

2. If you sit by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Like you, I was screwed over by a nasty little individual. Getting his legs broken was tempting, and a thoughtful friend offered to put me in touch with two large gentlemen who for a very reasonable price, would drop him down a lift shaft. For a small additional fee, they would wrap him in barbed wire first.

However, I preferred to walk away, for a number of reasons. Since neither the leopard, nor a thieving, backstabbing little sh*t can change their spots, I look forward to the day that he will rip off someone who lacks my sunny disposition and restraint.

On that day I look forward to seeing his broken body float by.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Go and kick the crap out of his Sky dish.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bil
Two points to remember.

1. The best revenge is living well.

2. If you sit by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Like you, I was screwed over by a nasty little individual. Getting his legs broken was tempting, and a thoughtful friend offered to put me in touch with two large gentlemen who for a very reasonable price, would drop him down a lift shaft. For a small additional fee, they would wrap him in barbed wire first.

However, I preferred to walk away, for a number of reasons. Since neither the leopard, nor a thieving, backstabbing little sh*t can change their spots, I look forward to the day that he will rip off someone who lacks my sunny disposition and restraint.

On that day I look forward to seeing his broken body float by.
Excellent - I will try to emulate your restraint. Just found out today that 2 so-called 'friends' have been ripping off another friend by spending money that someone was paying for renting her house instead of depositing it in the bank as they were supposed to do - it's a small village....problems

Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

5000€ is not worth getting yourself in trouble over, especially if covered by insurance.

The police around here carry guns as do many of my friends so sooner or later...
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:32 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Try to make sure everyone knows who this guy is so that they can watch out. Forewarned is forearmed And I also think somehow you should inform the police of his activities, either direct or through a Spanish friend. That is the better way to go about it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:50 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
5000€ is not worth getting yourself in trouble over, especially if covered by insurance.

The police around here carry guns as do many of my friends so sooner or later...
I agree with the first part and was going to disagree with the second, until I thought of my neighbours around here. Amazingly, the ones that I know well enough all have access to some sort of gun!

A local English expat newspaper carried an advert for years, clearly showing a revolver, which fired gas pellets or rubber bullets, and was supposed to be legal.

And if you’re ever 18, you can buy an air pistol, and some of them are almost as powerful as the real thing.

And then you’ve got pepper sprays, mace, cattle prodders, ceremonial swords that would cut you in half, no wonder a lot of burglars go missing.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:29 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, making sure everyone knows what is going on is always helpful, and should the people who ripped you/your friends off be doing something illegal, then 'accidentally' saying the wrong thing to a friendly and discrete copper can solve sooo many problems.

When screwed over, spreading the grief to those that deserve it is no small pleasure.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:28 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I agree with the first part and was going to disagree with the second, until I thought of my neighbours around here. Amazingly, the ones that I know well enough all have access to some sort of gun!

A local English expat newspaper carried an advert for years, clearly showing a revolver, which fired gas pellets or rubber bullets, and was supposed to be legal.

And if you’re ever 18, you can buy an air pistol, and some of them are almost as powerful as the real thing.

And then you’ve got pepper sprays, mace, cattle prodders, ceremonial swords that would cut you in half, no wonder a lot of burglars go missing.
Be very very careful about using a gun you don´t know the history of, if it´s been used for something it shouldn´t have been used for and you get caught with it, the previous offences could be pinned on you if balistics match up.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:13 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
.................................and my mind began to think whether a little bit of vigilante-ism should come into play? It wouldn't be too hard to find out who it is, but the quandary is, do you leave him be and hope it never happens again? Or do you take matters into your own hands with the prospect that he will still be there to exact revenge on your home once you return to the UK??
Does any one here know how good the Spanish prison food is?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:33 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Be very very careful about using a gun you don´t know the history of, if it´s been used for something it shouldn´t have been used for and you get caught with it, the previous offences could be pinned on you if balistics match up.
Eehm, using a gun for what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.