Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Burgled- What would you do?

Burgled- What would you do?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:36 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burgled- What would you do?

Originally Posted by HBG
I agree with the first part and was going to disagree with the second, until I thought of my neighbours around here. Amazingly, the ones that I know well enough all have access to some sort of gun!

A local English expat newspaper carried an advert for years, clearly showing a revolver, which fired gas pellets or rubber bullets, and was supposed to be legal.

And if you’re ever 18, you can buy an air pistol, and some of them are almost as powerful as the real thing.

And then you’ve got pepper sprays, mace, cattle prodders, ceremonial swords that would cut you in half, no wonder a lot of burglars go missing.
Originally Posted by Jur
Eehm, using a gun for what?
That!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

And then you’ve got pepper sprays, mace, cattle prodders, ceremonial swords that would cut you in half, no wonder a lot of burglars go missing.
Wonder just what the police attitude is, if and when a well known burglar,possibly of E.European or N.African origin, goes missing?
Do they go to any great lengths as for one of their own or as for Spanish citizen of high repute?
Do they bother much or even bother at all?
Somehow I dont think they would show a great deal of concern.
For those thinking of buying a firearm, maybe best to keep a decent spade on hand also.......though a concrete waistcoat and a quiet fishing trip could be another option....
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:09 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madridboy
That!
Still don´t get it, what do you wan´t to use a gun for? Hunting, fishing, shooting other people???
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:11 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Be very very careful about using a gun you don´t know the history of, if it´s been used for something it shouldn´t have been used for and you get caught with it, the previous offences could be pinned on you if balistics match up.
Reading your post again, how many episodes of CSI did you watch?
Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Cement slipper job, is called for.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:19 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Reading your post again, how many episodes of CSI did you watch?
???
Didn't!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:21 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When I realised that I had moved to a high crime area ten years ago, I made the decision not to arm myself with a gun to defend myself, unlike some of my neighbours, but I do have access to a baseball bat and something similar to defend my family should the worst happen. Some of my neighbours, mostly Spanish and Scandinavian, take a different view.

The advice from the local Guardia Civil is silly, they consistently say that if we happen to harm a burglar, we should get them off our premises and not inform them. In reality that wouldn’t happen, although I believe the defence laws are better than in the UK.

I have questioned my neighbours who keep guns and they say that they have them for shooting rats and other vermin, I’ve seen foxes wandering about recently.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, did I make clear that the gang were caught and subjected to the prison system? They are now out and allowed to resume their normal lives.

Just panicking that what they have done once they may do again, then not to move areas completely is really rubbing salt into the wound, we just hope that the police do keep close tabs on not only the Brit organiser, but the whole lot of em.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:43 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
When I realised that I had moved to a high crime area ten years ago, I made the decision not to arm myself with a gun to defend myself, unlike some of my neighbours, but I do have access to a baseball bat and something similar to defend my family should the worst happen. Some of my neighbours, mostly Spanish and Scandinavian, take a different view.

The advice from the local Guardia Civil is silly, they consistently say that if we happen to harm a burglar, we should get them off our premises and not inform them. In reality that wouldn’t happen, although I believe the defence laws are better than in the UK.

I have questioned my neighbours who keep guns and they say that they have them for shooting rats and other vermin, I’ve seen foxes wandering about recently.
The defense laws are very good in the UK, and very simple to understand.

If you are genuinely threatened by a burglar then you may use justifiable force up to and including killing that person.

If your burglar is found with the entry wounds all in the back, you will face a murder trial.

Martin was jailed because he was stupid.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:30 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all of that, and I’m not definite about the Spanish defence laws, but the Guardia Civil don’t seem to be bothered when a house-owner defends his life and property with a weapon.

Martin’s defence should have concentrated on the fact that it was dark, there were two men involved and not insisted that he had a right to shoot two gypsies who had broken into his house.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:08 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
Eehm, using a gun for what?
hi there our house was broken into 2yrs ago and the house next door was cleared of every thing the terrible thing is they were also brits in the village were my house is has never had any break in at all they were very angry and felt bad for us they were all from albox it was that terrible little white van that went round all the villages we know who they they are and they are being watched one day we will have them.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:11 pm
Jur

I can imagine it is upsetting to have your house robbed, I just don´t see how a couple of posters here can justify the killing of a person for stealing a couple of € and a television set.

Don´t you have an insurance???
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

[COLOR="Red"
Insurance is not the issue here, I don't pay for insurance just so someone can steel my belongings. Why should these theiving low lifes get away with it?

I was burgled earlier this year and although I was able to identify the thief, when I reported him to the police, I was told that he has a long history of burglaries, and when he goes to court he cries and says that if he is locked up he will loose his children, and he gets away with it every time!!!!!

Last edited by sparkyinspain; Mar 16th 2010 at 5:47 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:23 pm
Jur

[QUOTE=sparkyinspain;8424412][COLOR="Red"
Insurance is not the issue here, I don't pay for insurance just so someone can steel my belongings. Why should these theiving low lifes get away with it?

I was burgled earlier this year and although I was able to identify the thief, when I reported him to the police, I was told that he has a long history of burglaries, and when he goes to court he cries and says that if he is locked up he will loose his children, and he gets away with it every time!!!!![/QUOTE]

That´s right, insurance is not the issue. Go ahead and start killing people for nicking your toaster!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
The defense laws are very good in the UK, and very simple to understand.

If you are genuinely threatened by a burglar then you may use justifiable force up to and including killing that person.

If your burglar is found with the entry wounds all in the back, you will face a murder trial.

Martin was jailed because he was stupid.
Martin was jailed because the law was stupid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.