Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Old Jan 18th 2022, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I thought they still had some sort of investment visa going? If you have dosh there is usually a way into any country.
Not at the Federal level if you want to just chuck money at it and retire, the investor program ($1.6M) was the only option for that. There are still investment options, but only for those looking to set up a business and hire Canadians.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Great reply, I love offended woke snowflakes more than keyboard warriors, now go give someone a hug and share the love LOL
Erm...I think it was you that was offended! And anyone who bandies around the phrase 'woke snowflake' is definitely a bit delicate. I was just trying to give some information, since updated by another poster. Calm down son, life's too short. I'll leave you the last word.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
Erm...I think it was you that was offended! And anyone who bandies around the phrase 'woke snowflake' is definitely a bit delicate. I was just trying to give some information, since updated by another poster. Calm down son, life's too short. I'll leave you the last word.
I like you LOL I love being called son at age 67, thank you so much, my self worth meter went up a notch

Go on, you have the last word, you know you'll have to
Old Jan 18th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not at the Federal level if you want to just chuck money at it and retire, the investor program ($1.6M) was the only option for that. There are still investment options, but only for those looking to set up a business and hire Canadians.
A way in then that people will use. Can't blame them, Canada is a fantastic country and we're lucky in having been there a few times over the years, we loved British Columbia and the city of Victoria what a wonderful place. If I was young and looking to move it would be Canada or New Zealand for us.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A way in then that people will use.
Yes, if they’re eligible. They’ll need to meet the criteria (including having run a business successfully previously, having a solid business plan etc) and then checks are done to check Canadians have been hired and the business is profitable going forward after the visa is granted.

So it’s certainly an option for those with money to invest, but it’s not really an easy way in for most.

FWIW I agree, Canada is a great place for those that can get in, it’s getting tougher as the years go by. We had no problem with our application for PR back in 2010 but not sure we’d be eligible if we were to apply now!
Old Jan 19th 2022, 8:19 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if they’re eligible. They’ll need to meet the criteria (including having run a business successfully previously, having a solid business plan etc) and then checks are done to check Canadians have been hired and the business is profitable going forward after the visa is granted.

So it’s certainly an option for those with money to invest, but it’s not really an easy way in for most.

FWIW I agree, Canada is a great place for those that can get in, it’s getting tougher as the years go by. We had no problem with our application for PR back in 2010 but not sure we’d be eligible if we were to apply now!
I married a Canadian. It's going to cost us something like £600 for me when we go back, including the PR paperwork at the end of the 5th year.

Why can't a UK Spouse visa be that cheap?
Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Back in the early 70s a good school friend of mine moved to Canada, whole family and they were home in less than two years. Moving forward a couple of years and his father had a family meeting and said they were going back but this time, from the moment the plane landed they were to think of themselves as Canadians and not brits, their future was Canada and this time they settled there for life. A good attitude to take when moving to any new country in my opinion.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I married a Canadian. It's going to cost us something like £600 for me when we go back, including the PR paperwork at the end of the 5th year.

Why can't a UK Spouse visa be that cheap?
Not sure what you mean by 'PR paperwork at the end of the 5th year'? You'd have PR from the start, nothing to do after 5 years (just citizenship after 3 yrs if you wanted it).

It'll be more like £1000-1200 by the time you've added in your medical, police cert etc. But yes, it's much more expensive for a UK spouse visa from what I understand.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the early 70s a good school friend of mine moved to Canada, whole family and they were home in less than two years. Moving forward a couple of years and his father had a family meeting and said they were going back but this time, from the moment the plane landed they were to think of themselves as Canadians and not brits, their future was Canada and this time they settled there for life. A good attitude to take when moving to any new country in my opinion.
Totally agree with you. Far too many people move to another country and expect everything to work for them even though they are not prepared to make any effort to blend in with the locals.

Rosemary
Old Jan 19th 2022, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by 'PR paperwork at the end of the 5th year'? You'd have PR from the start, nothing to do after 5 years (just citizenship after 3 yrs if you wanted it).

It'll be more like £1000-1200 by the time you've added in your medical, police cert etc. But yes, it's much more expensive for a UK spouse visa from what I understand.
I badly worded it. Thanks.

Sponsor your spouse or partner

Sponsorship fee ($75),
principal applicant processing fee ($475) and
right of permanent residence fee ($500)
Total $1,050

You can apply this way too, and pay the Right of PR fee and the end...

Sponsor your spouse or partner without right of permanent residence fee

Sponsorship fee ($75) and
principal applicant processing fee ($475)
Total $550

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 19th 2022 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 1:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Cough, cough. Could we get back to the thread title please.

Rosemary
Old Jan 19th 2022, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Cough, cough. Could we get back to the thread title please.

Rosemary
Oh, so now thread drift's a problem.. I've previously been told it doesn't break forum rules when I previously complained about it happening on other threads. But sure, as you asked nicely.

As has been said before, the Brits leaving Spain appear to be those who stayed 'under the radar' while they could legally live in Spain under some simple EU requirements, and they chose (or were unable to) legalise themselves in the time given after the UK left the EU. And then they started finding that the rules for non-EU's are much more rigidly enforced.

It's self-inflicted, and I have zero sympathy.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 1:57 pm

Oh, so now thread drift's a problem.. I've previously been told it doesn't break forum rules when I previously complained about it happening on other threads. But sure, as you asked nicely.

As has been said before, the Brits leaving Spain appear to be those who stayed 'under the radar' while they could legally live in Spain under some simple EU requirements, and they chose (or were unable to) legalise themselves in the time given after the UK left the EU. And then they started finding that the rules for non-EU's are much more rigidly enforced.

Normally I am very much an each to their own and live and let live sort of person but on this subject I am 100% in agreement with you

Rosemary.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right: https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/...-health-costs/

Commenting on YouTube, David Weir said: So lazy people suffer the consequences of being lazy. She says “no fault of their own”. Actually yes, their own fault for not registering in the last 4 years!Dave from Yorkshire: BREXIT has been going on for 5 years and there was a full-year transition what were these people thinking that didn’t sort out their residency? Ignore it and it’ll go away isn’t really a solution is it?
Old Jan 19th 2022, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

A brit in Spain was interviewed recently and was saying that some of the people who voted for brexit and threw parties in Spain to celebrate the leavers winning are either leaving/left because they were off the books or denying they voted leave, the fella found it quite amusing, like he said, ask any expats if they voted leave and you'll be hard pushed to find one who now says they did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.