Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Old Jan 16th 2022, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Originally Posted by bobd22
I'm sure they do but uk won't be getting back in on anywhere near same terms as we left. Main thing is it won't happen quickly if at all.
No that won't happen. We won't get back any of the opt-outs negotiated since the days of Margaret Thatcher, and as new entrant we are obliged to accept the euro and jurisdiction of European Central Bank among other things.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Many EU countries will miss the UK's financial contributions.
No they won't.

The UK is still paying in for the duration of the current budget cycle. These are what the exit bill was calculated at.

But, to refute your point, the UK paidthe EU, and the EU decided how much each country got. But those were EU funds, not the UK's at that point.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
No that won't happen. We won't get back any of the opt-outs negotiated since the days of Margaret Thatcher, and as new entrant we are obliged to accept the euro and jurisdiction of European Central Bank among other things.
Agreed, the UK threw all those concessions away and has absolutely nothing to show for it. It's called shooting yourself in both feet.

The EU would not allow the UK to rejoin without a very decisive referendum but they would allow them to rejoin the single market and the custom union.

Old Jan 16th 2022, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Exactly.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Covid has messed things up the last two years. Brits will be back this summer. Also I don’t believe we will always be out of the customs Union. I think a deal like Norway would solve a lot of the uks problems
Old Jan 16th 2022, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Covid has messed things up the last two years. Brits will be back this summer. Also I don’t believe we will always be out of the customs Union. I think a deal like Norway would solve a lot of the uks problems
3 of the 4 constituent countries of the UK are already out of the EU customs union.

The 4th, Northern Ireland, is currently in because of the Northern Ireland Protocol, but the UK government is trying to negotiate itself out of this which the UK government originally insisted was needed. No NIP means the UK customs border will be along the 310-mile border between NI and Eire. That's going to cause the same problems for NI as leaving the EU has for the rest of the UK.

As for a Norway-type deal, can you see anyone accepting EU membership rules without having a say in those laws? We left when we had a say. Norway is a step down.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 16th 2022 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I

As for the older generation preferring to live in the South of Spain, I am 65 and have been here just over 15 years. The weather was definitely one of the reasons I chose to be in the South, when leaving the rainy, grey and cold North West of England where it was dark by 4pm in winter, the last thing I wanted was more of the same. But since we moved here permanently I have never sunbathed (I used to when we only used our Spanish house for holidays but never felt the need to when I was living here full time) and never sat on a beach although I have walked along a few on occasions. There are no British owned bars or restaurants in my town, and we have never taken part in activities aimed specifically at expats so would not miss them if they disappeared.
Don't get me wrong and just like it can be very different in the South, it can be very different in the North. Just saying that I see the younger generation being less interested in the low cost Spain that a lot of Brits are attracted to today. Not everyone is like that but unfortunately it was often about burning in the sun, cheap booze, cheap food in British owned bars. It's not as if the North is cold either and look at the weather around Vigo now. It's more about sustainability and with visa requirements, I just don't see that type of Spain lasting forever.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Its harder to retire to Spain now and its harder to emigrate to Spain now and work but no harder than moving to Canada/Australia/New Zealand. Moving to those countries to retire you have to show you won't be a drain on their economy and to work in those countries you need to hold skills that are in demand there.

Things were easy until the British people voted to leave the EU so its no use moaning, people need to wake up and smell the coffee and move on; things change.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Its harder to retire to Spain now and its harder to emigrate to Spain now and work but no harder than moving to Canada/Australia/New Zealand. Moving to those countries to retire you have to show you won't be a drain on their economy and to work in those countries you need to hold skills that are in demand there.

Things were easy until the British people voted to leave the EU so its no use moaning, people need to wake up and smell the coffee and move on; things change.
I'm pretty certain that retirees can only get a four year visa to live in Australia, then it has to be renewed. A permanent visa, without family connections, is not possible.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
I'm pretty certain that retirees can only get a four year visa to live in Australia, then it has to be renewed. A permanent visa, without family connections, is not possible.
So renew it if you meet the criteria. Easier with family connections but if you have a good pot of money you can retire on an investors visa. Our daughter was going to NZ and we had enough to follow her out if she'd taken the job offer, same for Canada, same for Spain, you need money and proof you won't cost your host nation money which is fare I think if you want to retire there.

Other than that if your younger then go and train and get experience in work areas that are needed, its not rocket science; you can move anywhere if you have needed skills. The days of a £25 Ryanair ticket to Alicante and a cash in hand job are over.

Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So renew it if you meet the criteria. Easier with family connections but if you have a good pot of money you can retire on an investors visa. Our daughter was going to NZ and we had enough to follow her out if she'd taken the job offer, same for Canada, same for Spain, you need money and proof you won't cost your host nation money which is fare I think if you want to retire there.

Other than that if your younger then go and train and get experience in work areas that are needed, its not rocket science; you can move anywhere if you have needed skills. The days of a £25 Ryanair ticket to Alicante and a cash in hand job are over.
Other countries are far too expensive and complicated. The beauty of Spain is that you could just rock up and wing it. Didn’t need complicated visas and bags of money. You don’t even need to speak Spanish in certain places. Brits will want to invest somewhere still im sure as houses in the UK are stupid money at the moment. Let’s see if Spain remains Britain’s favourite holiday destination post covid/Brexit.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Other countries are far too expensive and complicated. The beauty of Spain is that you could just rock up and wing it. Didn’t need complicated visas and bags of money. You don’t even need to speak Spanish in certain places. Brits will want to invest somewhere still im sure as houses in the UK are stupid money at the moment. Let’s see if Spain remains Britain’s favourite holiday destination post covid/Brexit.
The beauty of Brexit is that you can't do that anymore, and many of those previously doing so voted for it, shooting themselves in the foot because they thought the rules would be able to continue to be ignored.

Karma wins.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 17th 2022 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it won't affect Spain being the number 1 holiday destination. The only difference is Spain, and the rest of the EU, will now attract a better kind of UK retiree for their economy. The same goes for the migrant workforce, those from the UK will now be qualified with desirable skills. Brexit is full of benefits for the entire EU.

Depending on how you view it, it's also good for British expats as we might finally lose the reputation of being a nation of over tanned broke drunks living under the radar. We can pass that title to another north European nation of over tanned broke drunks who aren't very good at securing World Cup titles.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanNico
I'm sure it won't affect Spain being the number 1 holiday destination. The only difference is Spain, and the rest of the EU, will now attract a better kind of UK retiree for their economy. The same goes for the migrant workforce, those from the UK will now be qualified with desirable skills. Brexit is full of benefits for the entire EU.

Depending on how you view it, it's also good for British expats as we might finally lose the reputation of being a nation of over tanned broke drunks living under the radar. We can pass that title to another north European nation of over tanned broke drunks who aren't very good at securing World Cup titles.
Yes but it will be competition with pretty much every other country on the planet for this better retiree. I’m sure there are better countries with better tax laws for a middle class retiree than Spain.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

But most of the options are at least as difficult to get into now as Spain and don’t have the weather and the cheap flights to return to see family.

So which alternative would you choose and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.