Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITS LEAVING SPAIN

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So renew it if you meet the criteria. Easier with family connections but if you have a good pot of money you can retire on an investors visa. Our daughter was going to NZ and we had enough to follow her out if she'd taken the job offer, same for Canada, same for Spain, you need money and proof you won't cost your host nation money which is fare I think if you want to retire there.

Other than that if your younger then go and train and get experience in work areas that are needed, its not rocket science; you can move anywhere if you have needed skills. The days of a £25 Ryanair ticket to Alicante and a cash in hand job are over.
The point I was making was it has to be renewed, its not permanent. But thanks for the rant!
Old Jan 17th 2022, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
But most of the options are at least as difficult to get into now as Spain and don’t have the weather and the cheap flights to return to see family.

So which alternative would you choose and why?
Portugal for one has cheaper visas. My friend moved there because also has good tax laws. Still close to the UK and has good weather. Also see a lot of people in and out of Dubai. Can’t see that being really complicated to live.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Yes but it will be competition with pretty much every other country on the planet for this better retiree. I’m sure there are better countries with better tax laws for a middle class retiree than Spain.
If tax laws are your main consideration, Bulgaria's that way ----->
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
The point I was making was it has to be renewed, its not permanent. But thanks for the rant!
Hardly a rant LOL I love keyboard warriors.

So, carrying on the rant (I prefer diatribe) so big deal, you have to renew, if you have the means to stay you get stamped, if not you needed a couple of million to retire in Auz so its not the end of the world really, buy a cheapo golden visa in Spain fly down under to see family
The end

Someone else said he could see more people buying second homes out there and that makes; lot of brits getting a bit older and living in an overpriced house now selling up, downsizing and sometimes buying a second home. Here in South Wales we are seeing more and more rural properties shooting up in price because of people wanting out of the cities with even people from Cardiff and Swansea selling up and moving down the valleys for a better home at literally half the price. Our rural home would have fetched @£750k two years ago and would now sell at a million or more. So I can see people using spare dosh on a weekend/holiday home in Spain, six months is more that enough a year for most people.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
If tax laws are your main consideration, Bulgaria's that way ----->
Portuguese might be difficult but Bulgarian looks impossible. Lets hope they speak English.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

So, carrying on the rant (I prefer diatribe) so big deal, you have to renew, if you have the means to stay you get stamped, if not you needed a couple of million to retire in Auz so its not the end of the world really, buy a cheapo golden visa in Spain fly down under to see family
The end

Someone else said he could see more people buying second homes out there and that makes; lot of brits getting a bit older and living in an overpriced house now selling up, downsizing and sometimes buying a second home. Here in South Wales we are seeing more and more rural properties shooting up in price because of people wanting out of the cities with even people from Cardiff and Swansea selling up and moving down the valleys for a better home at literally half the price. Our rural home would have fetched @£750k two years ago and would now sell at a million or more. So I can see people using spare dosh on a weekend/holiday home in Spain, six months is more that enough a year for most people.
You make some good points there. I never understood the issue of 90/180 for the majority of people who like to split their time between Spain and the UK. Those people generally want to be in the UK for Christmas with their families and often find the summer months too hot anyway. That leaves them with spring and autumn, perfect for the 90/180 rule. Personally I'll probably use Spain as my retirement base and hop around Europe or further afield for extended periods under 90 days per visit. I can just about handle a weekend in the UK before I'm itching to get out.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Portugal for one has cheaper visas. My friend moved there because also has good tax laws. Still close to the UK and has good weather. Also see a lot of people in and out of Dubai. Can’t see that being really complicated to live.
Apart from the Algarve and the southern part of the Alentejo, Portugal's weather is more akin to that of Northern Spain, a good deal wetter and colder than the South of Spain (and much smaller in terms of land area so not likely to be able to accommodate large numbers of British retirees without becoming completely overdeveloped). I had occasion to have to spend time on the Costa de Prata about 1.5 hours North of Lisbon in June 2019 after my sister was killed whilst on holiday there. Every day bar two of my stay, it rained and was far colder than the area in Andalucia I had left. The atmosphere was so damp that clothes hanging in the wardrobe were damp, towels in the bathroom would not dry and came to feel musty, anything paper left out on surfaces was damp and limp, and when I was trying to do washing for my sister's family it was impossible to get anything dry. And that was in June, I certainly wouldn't want to live with that climate in the winter. Many years earlier I'd spent two weeks in the same area on holiday, also in June, and it was just the same then, it rained (heavily) every day for the first week of our stay.

Public services especially the health service are also inferior to those in Spain. Portugal is a poorer country, and it shows. It may have lower taxes but you get what you pay for.

Those British retirees who could no longer meet the requirements for a NLV to live in Spain certainly could not obtain a retirement visa to live in Dubai as an alternative. They would also have to pay for private health insurance for the rest of their lives (expensive for the over 65s and can be impossible for people with pre-existing conditions).

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/governm...abinet-meeting

Last edited by Lynn R; Jan 17th 2022 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Apart from the Algarve and the southern part of the Alentejo, Portugal's weather is more akin to that of Northern Spain, a good deal wetter and colder than the South of Spain (and much smaller in terms of land area so not likely to be able to accommodate large numbers of British retirees without becoming completely overdeveloped). I had occasion to have to spend time on the Costa de Prata about 1.5 hours North of Lisbon in June 2019 after my sister was killed whilst on holiday there. Every day bar two of my stay, it rained and was far colder than the area in Andalucia I had left. The atmosphere was so damp that clothes hanging in the wardrobe were damp, towels in the bathroom would not dry and came to feel musty, anything paper left out on surfaces was damp and limp, and when I was trying to do washing for my sister's family it was impossible to get anything dry. And that was in June, I certainly wouldn't want to live with that climate in the winter. Many years earlier I'd spent two weeks in the same area on holiday, also in June, and it was just the same then, it rained (heavily) every day for the first week of our stay.

Public services especially the health service are also inferior to those in Spain. Portugal is a poorer country, and it shows. It may have lower taxes but you get what you pay for.

Those British retirees who could no longer meet the requirements for a NLV to live in Spain certainly could not obtain a retirement visa to live in Dubai as an alternative.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/governm...abinet-meeting
It's called weather. My parents were in Tenerife for 2 weeks and it rained all the time but it was hitting 30 and dry in Ireland at that time. If you look at 2019, then you know why. Brits also move to France.
  • The number of precipitation days was up to 30 more than average in the north, west and south, whereas central and eastern Europe saw below-average values.
  • In winter, spring and summer, precipitation was below average in the southwest, however, through autumn to December, large parts of this region changed to seeing much-above-average precipitation.
  • Soil moisture shows a downward trend, with values for 2019 being the second lowest since at least 1979.
  • Most of continental Europe saw below-average soil moisture throughout the year, especially in central Europe during summer and in the southeast during autumn.
  • Average precipitation in 2019 shows a relatively inhomogeneous picture over Europe.

Generally, northern Europe, and some parts of western and southern Europe, experienced a wetter-than-average year. Precipitation was especially above average in parts of northern Spain and the Alps.

In contrast, conditions were below average across large parts of the Iberian Peninsula, especially in the south, and in an arc from central France through most of central Europe and into eastern Europe, including many of the non-coastal regions of the Balkans. Precipitation was also below average in western Iceland.
    The contrast between wet and dry conditions over Europe is also reflected in the number of wet days; defined as the number of days with precipitation amounts above 1 mm. A large region with a below-average number of wet days extended from northeastern France, through Germany, Poland and the southern Baltic states towards southwestern Russia. North and south of this region, particularly in the Alps, parts of Italy and the Adriatic coast of the Balkan Peninsula, as well as over large parts of Ireland, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and northwestern Russia, a higher than normal number of wet days was observed, with many regions seeing over 30 days more than average.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Portuguese might be difficult but Bulgarian looks impossible. Lets hope they speak English.
The Brits I've usually met when abroad can just about manage whatever form of English their home dialect is.

I've seen someone visiting from Newcastle fail to make theirself understood by another Brit who'd lived in Canada over ten years.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 17th 2022 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So renew it if you meet the criteria. Easier with family connections but if you have a good pot of money you can retire on an investors visa. Our daughter was going to NZ and we had enough to follow her out if she'd taken the job offer, same for Canada, same for Spain, you need money and proof you won't cost your host nation money which is fare I think if you want to retire there.
No idea about NZ or Spain, but the investor visa program for Canada was done away with in 2014. And that would presumably be the concern for most in Oz if they are only on a temp 4 year visa that needs to be renewed. What happens if the program is scrapped altogether?
Old Jan 18th 2022, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea about NZ or Spain, but the investor visa program for Canada was done away with in 2014. And that would presumably be the concern for most in Oz if they are only on a temp 4 year visa that needs to be renewed. What happens if the program is scrapped altogether?
The renewable 4 year retirement visa for Australia )subclass 410) was closed to new applicants in 2018.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Those British retirees who could no longer meet the requirements for a NLV to live in Spain certainly could not obtain a retirement visa to live in Dubai as an alternative. They would also have to pay for private health insurance for the rest of their lives (expensive for the over 65s and can be impossible for people with pre-existing conditions).
There are a hundred visa options for Dubai. The retirement one would be the last I would look at.

The real issue with Dubai is the eye-watering health insurance costs.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought they still had some sort of investment visa going? If you have dosh there is usually a way into any country.

There was an English radio ham chatting away one night (80m band for other hams here) and he was saying he'd retired to Spain but was fed up with apartment living (no ham Ariel's) so sold up and bought a farmhouse and land in Bulgaria and he loves it, the house was dirt cheap, food is cheap, nobody speaks English, no neighbours to moan about his antennas and when he wants to talk to brits he just goes on the radio and his wife has all the UK TV she wants. This elderly fella had never been there at all but talked to another couple of hams out there and that was it, up sticks and went.

Old Jan 18th 2022, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

The end

I think your reply rather than my small contribution warrants the term 'keyboard warrior', but rant or diatribe, your choice!
Old Jan 18th 2022, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveDW
I think your reply rather than my small contribution warrants the term 'keyboard warrior', but rant or diatribe, your choice!
Great reply, I love offended woke snowflakes more than keyboard warriors, now go give someone a hug and share the love LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.