Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Briton to be proud of?

A Briton to be proud of?

Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Briton to be proud of?

Originally Posted by missile
Good for him.

He doesn't need the money, nevertheless I do not recall any other football player being so generous?
(I can not comment on how generous these players are with donations to their own foundations)

http://www.dirkkuytfoundation.nl/

http://www.kanuheartfoundationng.com/

http://www.fundacionsamueletoo.org/

http://www.michaelessiengh.com/found...oundation.html

http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Exactly.

Numerous other top line footballers have done their bit for the RIGHT reasons as well as thousands of others at lower levels who could much less afford it than Beckham.

In reality if the true figures regarding his future income were ever known it could well be argued that on balance Becks has actually benefited by his PR stunt, rather than having sacrificed anything at all.

As I said before I have nothing against him and he's simply making the best of his opportunities, but as regards making some great personal sacrifice...

..pull the other one please.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:01 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10525363]Not ridiculous.

FACT !

[QUOTE] Now you really are being ridiculous No one ever claimed he was "making some great personal sacrifice".

Last edited by missile; Feb 5th 2013 at 2:29 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:18 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=missile;10525492][QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10525363]Not ridiculous.

FACT !

Now you really are being ridiculous No one ever claimed he was "making some great personal sacrifice".
Is that not the general tone of the topic, "A Briton to be Proud Of", or are you admitting that he hasn't really done anything special at all ?

I'm simply pointing out that there are many other Britons we have at least equal reason to be proud of, amongst them many footballers, who are content to remain unsung heroes, rather than constantly court celeb status.

For instance many make both physical as well as financial efforts including regular visits to their local hospitals.

It would be nice to see these guys given a mention and at least equal credit for their efforts, rather than singling out one already over publicised celeb.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10525860][QUOTE=missile;10525492]
Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Not ridiculous.

FACT !

Is that not the general tone of the topic, "A Briton to be Proud Of", or are you admitting that he hasn't really done anything special at all ?

I'm simply pointing out that there are many other Britons we have at least equal reason to be proud of, amongst them many footballers, who are content to remain unsung heroes, rather than constantly court celeb status.

For instance many make both physical as well as financial efforts including regular visits to their local hospitals.

It would be nice to see these guys given a mention and at least equal credit for their efforts, rather than singling out one already over publicised celeb.
I agree DD. Beckham is the most overrated footballer of all time. Mainly because he has spent 10s of millions grooming his own image to help him make 100s of millions

The whole PSG deal is a PR stunt for both Beckham and PSG. I doubt he will play many or any games. As for his salary going to charity, perhaps it is a nice gesture, but given that income tax for the rich in France is now 80% then it is probably easier for Beckham to do this than declare his wordlwide income to the French government. I'm sure thats the reason why the deal is only for 6 months as well!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, I don't mind the guy, and whilst he's not the sharpest knife in the box, he'll have an army of advisers that are. To me this comes across more as an astute financial charade designed to keep him up there in the limelight, and it won't do his chances of getting a knighthood any harm. It's a good sum of money, but a bit like Tesco's loss leaders, he stands to profit in the long run. Personally, I think more of the thousands of people that anonymously contribute a few pounds a month from their small wages to sponsor a kid abroad, or contribute to some charity. They don't need a fanfare of trumpets to tell the world how generous they are, they just do it.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:50 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't looked at the above foundations, they could be really cred. Many are just set up as a cash cow and tax relief channel. The celebs of the charity get paid for their skills etc. generous expenses and perks. The money comes from other people who have donated.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:26 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10525860][QUOTE=missile;10525492]
Not ridiculous.

FACT !

You are entitled to your opinion, but please don't tell me I have the wool over my eyes.
FACT is he has pledged a huge sum of money to charity and for that IMHO he deserves credit. I am no fan of David, but there are many other very highly paid footballers who have donated very little, others who have pissed their fortune up against the wall and some who are continually in the news for all the wrong reasons.
I wholeheatedly agree there are many unsung heroes who deserve recognition for giving generously of their time.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I agree DD. Beckham is the most overrated footballer of all time. Mainly because he has spent 10s of millions grooming his own image to help him make 100s of millions

The whole PSG deal is a PR stunt for both Beckham and PSG. I doubt he will play many or any games. As for his salary going to charity, perhaps it is a nice gesture, but given that income tax for the rich in France is now 80% then it is probably easier for Beckham to do this than declare his wordlwide income to the French government. I'm sure thats the reason why the deal is only for 6 months as well!
Unusually I find myself 100% in agreement with CMAN on this one - well articulated sir.

Classic "Brand Beckham" he decided to go to PSG 6 months ago but then kept pretending he was deciding where to go (AC Milan, QPR, rumour, rumour etc etc giving the press loads of column inches, which they need) before having a press conference right at the end of the transfer window to maximise attention (which is what he seems to crave rather than more money).

Beyond any doubt he is the best shirt salesman in the world (PSG interest is in maximising revenue for FFP methinks) and up until 5 or 6 years ago he was a pretty good footballer too (but he was never the best midfielder in Manchester let alone the world).

Brand Beckham - incredibly successfully marketing! He seems to be a fundamentally decent and hard working bloke who has more than maximised his talent - well done him.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 4:06 pm
On the road again.

[QUOTE=cricketman;10525891][QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10525860]
Originally Posted by missile

Unusually I find myself agreeing with Cman.

Though his skills on the field are not the main topic, it has to be said that as with his celeb status he has made the best of those at which he is really good.
In some other aspects of his game he is totally useless and even a liability at times, hence a constant stream of yellows and reds on occasions when he has tried to tackle or win the ball for himself.
On other occasions he failed miserably trying to dribble through a packed defence, but at least soon realized or had the common sense to rarely even try.

He is very fortunate to have been around at a time when England had no major world class stars who were skillful in all aspects of the game, such as B.Charlton or even K.Keegan or if compared to such as Cruyff, Pele and Messi amongst many others, he was simply never in the same class.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What you are forgetting are all the other charity work the Beckhams do but keep private.
I find it unbelievable you can spin this to make it look as though he is doing it for his own gain.
You sad people.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10526635][QUOTE=cricketman;10525891]

K.Keegan .
You obviously don't know much about football.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:30 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
....You sad people.
Hmmm, you may think we are sad and we might think you are being taken for a fool. We may have to differ on this one.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

What you are forgetting are all the other charity work the Beckhams do but keep private..
Please enlighten us on this work. Will be happy to praise it if I know about it.

I find it unbelievable you can spin this to make it look as though he is doing it for his own gain.
My understanding is that the money goes from PSG straight, he does not give the money from his account. Given that this has all been publicised and seems to be part of the contract, I can not understand how it can not be viewed as self-aggrandisement.

I am to be corrected if I read this deal wrong.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 5th 2013 at 6:59 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:54 pm
On the road again.

[QUOTE=johnnyone;10526897][QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;10526635]
Originally Posted by cricketman

You obviously don't know much about football.
Maybe you don't !

He was about the best we had at the time, unless you can come up with something better ?
His childish outbursts got up many ppls backs but he did the business on the pitch and always gave a hundred percent which is more than you could say about Beckham.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.